Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 How to route electrical connection to engine bay

PS1000

Hi - I'm posting this in case in helps others

In the process of retrofitting a PSE to my 997.2 3.6 Manual. There are some really helpful posts from Ducatirob and some good pictures from Sharkwerks - but nowhere could I find a picture of how to route a new electrical wire from within the car through the rear bulkhead and into the engine bay. (This wire will be used to connect from the PSE switch on the console through the relay system and ultimately to the PSE exhaust solenoid)

I managed to get hold of the official Porsche PSE retrofitting instructions which made reference to a grommet - but it was still not clear where the grommet was located. DucatiRob's PSE post makes reference to a grommet under the DME unit. This grommet is present in the 997.2 - but seems to lead into a closed cavity rather than through to the engine bay. It also was not the grommet that was referenced in the Porsche instructions - so I kept investigating.

Basically you need to remove the carpet over the DME, remove the DME shelf (all this is covered in other posts) - then you need to lift up (or remove) the rear section of carpet/insulation from the drivers side of the car to get access to where the main wiring loom is routed. It goes through an initial metal aperture then routes towards the bulkhead right in the very corner where it passes through a large rubber moulding into the engine bay. Part of this rubber moulding (just above the wiring loom) has a smaller round grommet- which is the one referenced in the official Porsche instructions.

I got hold of a length of fence wire - sharpened one end to a sharp point and used this to push a hole in the grommet through to the engine bay. Once the wire was through I went to the engine bay, taped my new electrical wire onto the end of the fence wire with insulating tape, went back into the car, pulled the fence wire back out again with the new electrical wire still taped to the end. I used a few cable ties in both the interior and engine bay to route and secure the new wire and it is now neatly installed and more or less invisible.

Probably the hardest part was finding where the grommet was - so I have posted 3 pictures below

Wiring1 shows the interior of the car with the fence wire leading towards the grommet area - this gives an overall indication where to look

Wiring2 is taken from inside the car and shown the fence wire (traced in red) going through the round rubber grommet

Wiring 3 is taken from within the engine bay and shows the fence wire again traced in red and the rubber moulding circled in red

Hope this is of use to others

Will post more info about the PSE install in due course

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7kigzvvuld71p7/Wiring1.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9hqy4pzhj9tj4j/Wiring 2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtj88ougodjylym/Wiring3.JPG?dl=0

Good job :thumb:

I couldn't find this grommet when I did mine and ended up routing the wires through the rear quarter panel into the rear light cavity and into the engine bay.

This is much better though :thumb:

PS1000 said:
DucatiRob's PSE post makes reference to a grommet under the DME unit. This grommet is present in the 997.2 - but seems to lead into a closed cavity rather than through to the engine bay. It also was not the grommet that was referenced in the Porsche instructions - so I kept investigating.

Maybe there are some minor differences in the various MY 997.2s, but when I ran the PSE wires there was definitely a grommet under the DME through which I ran the cable to the solenoid switch for the PSE (no closed cavity on my car at least).

Your solution is probably nicer but I couldn't easily access that grommet

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back