Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Updated: 7 year review (page 2) of cheap 'eBay' headers

A couple of months over 2 years on the car now and exactly in the same condition as the photos on here from November 2015!!

Time: 26 months 7 days
Mileage: 17,500

Out of interest I've just fitted a pair of these to my 997 Turbo and I have much the same feedback as you Alex.
They were advertised as made from T304 Stainless and Tig welded, the same as the expensive ones, so I figured I would get some and if they looked rubbish I would just send them back.
Anyway they arrived and I couldn't see any problems with them, the welds were good and they were all straight and true.
The only slight problem I had was that the N/S one needed pulling in to the Turbo flange by about 3-4 mm but I did this and torqued them up and they appear to be fine. I ran the car today and then jacked it up to check the bolts. They did need retorquing even after only a short run so maybe the gaskets were just getting compressed.
I paid £149.99 for mine and that included gaskets and new turbo bolts, we'll see how they go.

:thumbs:

Looks like a good call Alex, I paid the silly money for stainless NHP X51 headers from the USA the import duty was more than your headers cost lol and apart from the different shape they look more or less the same as yours after 2 years. I am talking look/condition of the item only, as the performance gains are a personal thing as to whats good and whats not. mine along with the rest of the exhaust and cats has added power in the mid and low range which is the usable bit and where I wanted the extra kick so I am very happy with my set up. Yours sounds like similar low mid range wins and for about £100 is spot on. :thumb:

I think one of the biggest issues is the quality of materials in these 'cheaper' versions. Clearly the flange on that manifold isn't stainless regardless of what they may say and often they use sub standard 'stainless' steel which still corrodes very quickly as you have witnessed. The cracking of welds usually comes from using very thin metal to get the costs down however the way the Porsche manifolds are supported means they are not under a great deal of stress.

I do alot of work with old B series Hondas and the manifolds hang down with all the loading pretty much up at the flange and I wouldnt even consider buying a cheap manifold as they crack horribly.

And how do you make that out that the flange isn't stainless?

Stoo.c said:
I think one of the biggest issues is the quality of materials in these 'cheaper' versions. Clearly the flange on that manifold isn't stainless regardless of what they may say and often they use sub standard 'stainless' steel which still corrodes very quickly as you have witnessed. The cracking of welds usually comes from using very thin metal to get the costs down however the way the Porsche manifolds are supported means they are not under a great deal of stress.

I do alot of work with old B series Hondas and the manifolds hang down with all the loading pretty much up at the flange and I wouldnt even consider buying a cheap manifold as they crack horribly.

Surely Alex's case study is proof that this particular product appears to be made quite well. Ie no cracking has occurred. Also how can you tell the flange is not stainless? Did you hold a magnet up to your computer screen to see if the flange is magnetic :D

I did but all I got was a psychedelic rainbow :lol:

I did actually hold a magnet to the flange and it didn't stick.

The key is in the name "stainless" not "stainproof".

alex yates said:
They buy the genuine item, reverse engineer it and then manufacture their own. Saves them a fortune on development costs and enables them to sell them so cheap.:

***** parasites.

Scho said:
alex yates said:
They buy the genuine item, reverse engineer it and then manufacture their own. Saves them a fortune on development costs and enables them to sell them so cheap.:

***** parasites.

Bit like folk using free forums to find out how to fix stuff.

Next week I'll have had these on the car for 3 years. They're in the exact same condition as they were after being on the car 12 months back in November 2015.

Time: 3 years
Mileage: 28,300

So to all the doom and gloomers who stated they were cheap Chinese c**p and wouldn't last 12 months - stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!

Far outlasted my DANSK back boxes :grin:

So after just shy of 7 years and 60,000 miles of faithful daily service, my cheap £106 Chinese manifolds have had their day!!

I noticed yesterday that the off-side one was ticking, so when I got into work this morning I put the car up on the ramps to have a gander. There's a hole in one of the 3 pipes where they weld to the single pipe, see photo:

GAInmCw.jpg

Fortunately the company I bought them from has just got them back in stock after months of being out (£160 delivered):

https://www.toyosports.co.uk/exhaust-manifold-for-porsche-911-996-34-36-99-04-non-turbo-1933-p.asp

So a bit of metal putty until tomorrow:

U6kz9Pi.jpg

Yes Alex, you would not listen, only 7 years & 60000miles & they cost £100 when will you ever learn :floor: :worship:

{Anybody who thinks copy manufacturers 'get lucky' are misguided. They buy the genuine item, reverse engineer it and then manufacture their own.}

Just read your post for the first time. A company I did design work for years ago sold a continuous casting machine to the Chinese. A year or so later they had never come back for spares. Most unusual. Anyway, one of the Directors was in China in the same area so dropped in for a courtesy visit. The person he met showed him around their new facility which had about 10 clones of our machine working away. They happily explained they had stripped our machine to the last nut & bolt & reverse engineered it. They do not recognise patents or copyright & you cant sue them

A friend of mine went over there and went into their machine shop with rows and rows of Mazak machining centres. not one of them was a genuine Mazak.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back