Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 718 GTS

If that article is right, only a 15 bhp increase over the S is a little disappointing.

It will be interesting to see the pricing as well.

As the S is a very fine car, with only that small gain in bhp and no six-pot as first rumoured.......the GTS might not be worth the premium over the S :dont know:

However, I am pretty sure demand will outstrip availability regardless.

Flat-4

Everyone was hoping for a six pot I know, but I will have to reserve judgement until I have heard the four turbo driven in anger.

The first car I bought was an Alfa Romeo 33 Veloce with a 1.7 flat-4 and it sounded awesome (to my 17 year old ears). Maybe they have worked their magic on this one and it sounds similarly gruff (and not too much like a Scooby)
:dont know:

I was waiting to see if this might tempt me in the future but it doubt it will unless the 'bundle' saving over a well spec'ed S model is significant. I doubt it though and could live without the alcantara and prefer the sport-tex stuff anyway. Will have to compare some builds with a saved build from when I nearly pulled the trigger.

The power increase is a little bit of a joke in my opinion but I guess any more and they are in 911 territory. The wheels are a disappointment, they could have at least come up with a new design that was exclusive to the GTS model.

The script on the videos is dire...not one of Porsche's greatest marketing decisions in my opinion.

But...

However, it will have a GTS badge on the back. It will sell just because of that.

I had a fully loaded 718 boxster S for 3 days and was shocked by the engine, yes its fast but compared to the 6 its crap. Most buyers won't realise this though but its something that will be lost unless your in the "know" :grin:

From the EVO review "drawing comparisons with that car's melodious flat-six engine is perhaps unwise" :thumb:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/19783/porsche-718-gts-boxster-and-cayman-twins-revealed

Looks like VTS is standard on the 718 GTS though (it was not on the 981 GTS)

I'm not surprised the GTS is a 4, I would have been shocked if it was a 6, just not viable for porsche and it would have been them admitting something very publicly. The GTS has always been a marginal power gain, its more about the sum of the parts and the recipe has always worked to date (I exclude the KN GTS :roll: )

Now the 718 GT4 will be an interesting dilemma for Porsche though :dont know:

Edit: just specced a 718 BGTS up as close to the spec as mine as possible and its £70.5k so about right for the across the board price rise last year. No External GTS pack option though (gloss black parts instead of matt) which was one of the best GTS options (often ignored).

ps they still call it "dual climate" option for erm ... Climate control implying it comes with "climate" as standard which it does not :hand:

jonttt said:
I had a fully loaded 718 boxster S for 3 days and was shocked by the engine, yes its fast but compared to the 6 its crap. Most buyers won't realise this though but its something that will be lost unless your in the "know" :grin:

:hand: The 'pea' green 718s I heard knocking about Alderley Edge the other week sounded fantastic. Whether this was the 'standard' PSE or some upgraded exhaust unit I'm not sure :dont know: If they all sound like that with PSE I'd have one :thumb:

See point proven :floor:

I should have clarified "........ sounded crap compared to a 981" :wink:

Ps I did not enjoy the comparable power delivery either but I guess that's because I feel the same way about any turbo v na and I'm gonna enjoy that for as long as I can before all cars are turbo hybrids :judge:

Disclaimer : if new car is a must / top priority I'm sure the 718 GTS will be great :thumb:

jonttt said:
Disclaimer : if new car is a must / top priority I'm sure the 718 GTS will be great :thumb:

:hand: Not for me as I refuse to pay the new VED rates so I'd want a pre April 718 so I'm excluded from the GTS :roll:

If these had the 981 flat 6 i would buy one, as it is I"m thinking of buying a Peridot green Cayman R instead. Just not sure on manual or PDK.

I know everyone says manual but my C4S is manual and ifancy the PDK to go with it maybe.

PTV and PCM both standard now! About £70/1 gets a 982 very close to my 981 spec. Not sure why they opted for a softer front rather than an evolution of the dramatic nose on the 981. Still looks quite good though and will no doubt be super quick. I'm liking the gloss back that can be specced for door handles, spoiler etc. Only one thing really lets it down - no flat six :sad:

Generally the car Agts comes with a pack that if you speccd a Boxster S to the same level it would be more than the GTS.

Still sounds shyite.

Wow, there really is no comparison to this review which says it all really :worship:

jonttt said:
Wow, there really is no comparison to this review which says it all really :worship:

This is a great video, I remember when it came out.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 981 purchase today. Not a GTS but a very nice spec S. But they wouldn't give me enough on the trade in. Annoying that cars sell based on spec and yet when they offer money on trade in it seems they offer 'book price' and spec is ignored. I don't have time to sell my car before I go back to work so it looks like I'll miss this one (back to work Wednesday).

Car is half the price of a GTS

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back