Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Aventura Adventure

Bund said:
And really like the new wheels. They are rather pricey these days but you negotiated well .

Brett is getting excited.. he's already visualising wheels on my car (although he currently owns a portion of it as deposit paid) :thumb:

Have a fab holiday chap!

MattyR said:
Bund said:
And really like the new wheels. They are rather pricey these days but you negotiated well .

Brett is getting excited.. he's already visualising wheels on my car (although he currently owns a portion of it as deposit paid) :thumb:

Have a fab holiday chap!

:) I really need to find a home for another car lol

Ive also fired off an email about the 200 cell cats and stereo!

Nik said:
Congrats sir - just read all four pages. Lovely example!!

Final pic above - is that the place in Ashford? Looks very familiar!!

:thumb:
Many thanks :thumb: ...and yes that's at Powerspeed - your video amongst others sold it to me :).

An update covering some of this year's work...

Following on from the new wheels, I was still undecided on coloured crests or black and white, but picked up a set of the latter and will see how I like them over the coming months...

wAnIxcV.jpg

Old and new...

f40rbgt.jpg

jyYQ9nd.jpg

I had been after a set of new set of headlight lens for a while to help freshen up the front end, and it really makes a significant difference! The downside of having newish indicator corners and headlights is the foglight cluster now looks a little dated...:what: contemplating whether to simply replace like for like, or go for an alternative ducting arrangement.

BNcMYIG.jpg

Then came some more significant work...
I wanted to have the clutch replaced due to it still being the original one, and despite there being no signs of slippage, we had a planned a roadtrip for late summer (which sadly ended up being pushed to next year) and wanted the car to be tip top. The spark plugs were only changed around 15k miles ago in 2013 during the car's first service in my ownership, but with the engine being dropped, we took the chance to do a full 24k service.

The scope of activities therefore became:

- 24k service incl. plugs, fuel filter, etc.
- Clutch
- RMS
- Engine lid struts
- New engine bay insulation/sound pad - better solution than the 'motorraumdà¤mmmattenleiste' aka tidy strip!
- Engine mounts
- Lower wishbone
- New battery [Bosch S5 096] - with the roadtrip in mind more than anything else

Allowing my wallet to recover a little :-|, I took advantage of the recent mild weather and the car was washed & waxed ahead of the upcoming wetter months.
It will continue to be used through winter - and I really look forward to it :).

3gbeRNo.jpg

sQA6wjF.jpg

ceXemSx.jpg

4JZSZhh.jpg

qOpsGUE.jpg

9aoepUw.jpg

In my mind, this year's activities marks the end of a lot of the big ticket items I had planned when I first acquired the car: Brakes, Suspension, Transmission. Phew...:).

What's next? I'd really like to visit Wayne at ChipWizards - it's a long way away and I understand securing a slot can be challenging... however the feedback speaks for itself! :D

Your car looks fabulous, you should be very proud :thumb:

Ch3tman....your 993 looks fantastic , one of the best I have seen on here's....Aventura ... What a class colour !

It is a credit to your care and ownership mate !

Great work Sir and lovely car :thumb:

Wheels look good although I do love the cups wheels too...

Lower wishbone, did you only replace one :?:

Can I ask where you sourced your engine pad?, I need to do mine whilst engine is out.

RMS, I have access to mine right now and was pondering whether to replace or not as there's no signs of leakage or anything, was thinking if it ain't broke and all that, what is the general recommendation amongst the crew?.

Trev

It's quite a big job to get to the RMS so if you have access now, I'd suggest replacing it. I don't remember how much the part itself was but it wasn't a lot.

Ch3tman - this looks like an awesome car...congratulations. I am loving my C2 (still less than a month into ownership) and also love using it as my daily - very relieved to see someone else using a 993 as a daily given that everyone I come across thinks I am completely mad.

MattyR - thanks once again ;).

911TEL said:
Ch3tman....your 993 looks fantastic , one of the best I have seen on here's....Aventura ... What a class colour !

It is a credit to your care and ownership mate !
Very kind of you to say 911TEL - thank you :thumb: - the colour looks superb when the car is as clean and shiny as it is in those photos. The challenge, of course, is keeping it that clean all year round. I must invest in a DA polisher, as otherwise it's taking me many many hours :oops:...

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Great work Sir and lovely car :thumb:

Wheels look good although I do love the cups wheels too...

Lower wishbone, did you only replace one ?:

Can I ask where you sourced your engine pad?, I need to do mine whilst engine is out.

RMS, I have access to mine right now and was pondering whether to replace or not as there's no signs of leakage or anything, was thinking if it ain't broke and all that, what is the general recommendation amongst the crew?.

Trev
:thumb:

Agree on the Cup II wheels - I did contemplate selling them earlier in the year but glad I've kept hold of them now - probably the best 17" option for our cars and a classic design! 8)

Re: wishbone, we could see the OSR was newer and likely changed prior to my ownership, and so decided to change the other one this year (along with ARB bushes), whilst investigating a slight squeaking sound on the NSR, followed by geo. All back to normal now; no more annoying squeaky bush.

The engine pad was obtained direct from Porsche along the majority of those other items in the list. It was only £59.80+VAT and a no brainer given the engine was out. Surprisingly, given the amount of heat generated within the bay, it's stuck on with glue! Anyway, if it lasts another 20 years, we can't complain :).

Re: RMS, I had a very similar conversation with my indy in terms of whether to get it done. The consensus was if the engine is being dropped, it's another no brainer. As Sutton mentions above, it's not expensive... looking at the invoice now: £31.41+VAT.

pierrebear said:
Ch3tman - this looks like an awesome car...congratulations. I am loving my C2 (still less than a month into ownership) and also love using it as my daily - very relieved to see someone else using a 993 as a daily given that everyone I come across thinks I am completely mad.
Cheers pierrebear - and glad to hear you're using yours frequently too! The 993 is capable and civilised in equal measures - so there's no reason not to! :D After wanting a 993 for so many years, I'm not going to just leave it parked up in the garage...
We are definitely in the minority here, but keep up the usage! Miles = Smiles :)

A small 'winter 2017' update, covering 2 items that had remained on the 'nice to have' list since ownership began.

Firstly, sound deadening of door cars and a much needed upgrade of speakers. Whilst the tweeters were the original factory Nokia units, the mid-range/woofers in the doors (as well as those in the rear/parcel shelf) had been upgraded to a set of Pioneer units several years ago when the Becker Grand Prix was installed. Out came the fronts and in went, along with a set of new speaker grills, a set of components: Hertz ESK165 They may not blow away our resident audiophile's, but they are massive improvement in terms of sound quality :). The other contenders were the Audison Prima APK165, though I was advised whilst they are better performing for the mid-higher frequencies, you may find them lacking in the low end and hence would benefit from a separate/dedicated sub-woofer. I opted against going down the amplifier and sub-woofer route, and so far, no regrets :what:.

Along with the speakers, sound deadening in the form of Skinz Pro 2mm/Skinz Wave Diffuser/Skinz Liner 6mm was installed to address road noise and improve acoustics.

Out...
W0rEeDk.jpg

In...
0WeKTfX.jpg

MMp0J5N.jpg

CcK9MsY.jpg

wY8mAGZ.jpg

kxYJ4u5.jpg

6gs1rZ0.jpg

Secondly, I finally managed to get the car booked in with Wayne Schofield at ChipWizards for a live remap session. Not sure what else I can add to the overwhleming feedback he's already received from the community - he's clearly passionate about what he does - backed up by phenomenal knowledge and ability - whilst being happy to educate along the way.

Results as follows:

tkxwLhQ.jpg

Pleased with the delta! :) I should add I'm still waiting for the torque figures...:roll:. The most noticeable benefit has been the way power is delivered across the rev range, feels 'opened up' a little and generally very smooth and linear - especially low end - no juddering both when coming on and off the throttle.
The long drive home was... enjoyable :D.

Next month welcomes tax, MOT and the annual service. Due to work and travel, the car has only seen ~1k miles since the last service, but there is most certainly a plan to pile on the miles this year...

How many skins did you use on the doors - four? Is there are procedure for layering and did you do it yourself as I have an upcoming project looming :dont know:

Zingari said:
How many skins did you use on the doors - four? Is there are procedure for layering and did you do it yourself as I have an upcoming project looming :dont know:
Did I do it myself? ...:oops: you don't know me well enough; I would cause more harm than good!
I prefer to leave it to the experts :thumb:.

The general theory seems to be to spend a lot of effort on surface preparation/surface degreasing - Skinz have products for this, as I'm sure competitor brands do. Then sound deaden the outer door skin with the wave diffuser - see the bumpy stuff through the speaker opening in the third pic down? Then sound deaden the inner panel with sound deadening - in many other pics it looks like silver foil, in mine its the black stuff (Skinz Pro black) - covering everything in sight! Finally you can apply a panel liner to conceal the whole lot and provide a further layer of deadening. Sorry, I cannot help on the amount of material required...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back