Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 997 this week?

I Have just had my pads and discs replaced , just a note to others needing this . I was persuaded by the motor factor to try a cheaper but unknown brand of Disc had them on for a couple of weeks ,massive steering wheel wobble on med/hard braking, my tech then removed them and they went back to the factors for a refund and we fitted Pagid all round, problem sorted straight away and now all good. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the info Phil - I'll make sure to take heed. :thumbs:

Phil 997 said:
I Have just had my pads and discs replaced , just a note to others needing this . I was persuaded by the motor factor to try a cheaper but unknown brand of Disc had them on for a couple of weeks ,massive steering wheel wobble on med/hard braking, my tech then removed them and they went back to the factors for a refund and we fitted Pagid all round, problem sorted straight away and now all good. :thumb: :thumb:

Good to know

Thanks

For Turbo discs I waited till ECP had one of their sales and ordered Pagid Discs and Pads/Sensors, I think the lot was under £300.
They are a doddle to fit as long as you have the 10mm hex key.

Fitted new side lights , I like the slightly smoked look and also the fact that the whole thing is an indicator not like the OE which only lights up at the end. they also sit nice and flush unlike some of the aftermarket ones that stick out a lot.

Attachments

• img_2196_1_167.jpg
    img_2196_1_167.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 2,810
  • img_2200_881.jpg
    img_2200_881.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2,810
  • img_2203_1_520.jpg
    img_2203_1_520.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,810
  • img_2205_116.jpg
    img_2205_116.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,810
Nice Phil. :thumb:

Do you have a link for where you got them from? Something else for me to bookmark. :D

Phil 997 said:
Fitted new side lights , I like the slightly smoked look and also the fact that the whole thing is an indicator not like the OE which only lights up at the end. they also sit nice and flush unlike some of the aftermarket ones that stick out a lot.

Phil, very, veery nice mate, I quite like those side indicators, very different :thumb: , can I ask where you got them or maybe a link please!!!

Cheers

J

Gold Major Service - and eibach spring failure

Car went to Hartech for it bi-annual major service and MOT (it's on their plan).

Service was a breeze, I have a 'juicy' coolant pipe over the engine (knew about this from last year, monitor for now), low front brakes but ok and some minor cracking around the silencers (where the bottom pipe exits) - but not leaking so no action - yet (they are gundo hacked, I fitted them a few years ago). Oh, and 3 coil packs. But . . . . . despite neither me or Hartech noticing while driving the car, on inspection they spotted a broken front Eibach spring (see pics)! :nooo:

These were fitted new in April 2012 and car has done approx 19,000 since then so quite disappointing. Just to add insult to injury, on disassembly both front dampers were highly corroded (at the top where the damper sticks through the lower spring support) - sorry forgot to take pics but believe me they were in a right state, cannot be upset really as they are 13 years old. So 2 new dampers required and hence a wheel alignment - which uncovered a seized rear coffin arm bolt which had to be cut off :eek:

Outcome piggy bank depleted by >£2k but car feels great, very planted and the front Aerokit PU is less inclined to scrape on speed bumps :D

Attachments

• eibach_4_582.png
    eibach_4_582.png
    263.2 KB · Views: 2,677
  • eibach_3_148.png
    eibach_3_148.png
    473.3 KB · Views: 2,677
  • eibach_2_784.png
    eibach_2_784.png
    601.5 KB · Views: 2,677
  • eibach_1_138.png
    eibach_1_138.png
    745 KB · Views: 2,677
New front differential seals. New gearbox seals (and sump). 2nd hand OEM exhaust to remove Cats from and increase the power / improve the exhaust note (thanks to ES Motors for the tip! :thumb: )

The plan is to couple this with an IPD plenum, larger throttle body, BMC air filter and some larger diameter intake ducting. I'll then do a before and after comparison to ascertain how the standard ECU adapts to the new hardware.

Also recently sourced a 2nd hand GT3 alcantara covered manual wheel, AMG paddles and a PDK wheel complete (for the airbag) in order to create a flappy paddle 3 spoke wheel.

This will keep me busy over the winter now that Grace is no longer a daily driver. Will all be in place for the trip to Le Mans next year :thumbs:

New997buyer said:
New front differential seals. New gearbox seals (and sump). 2nd hand OEM exhaust to remove Cats from and increase the power / improve the exhaust note (thanks to ES Motors for the tip! :thumb: )

The plan is to couple this with an IPD plenum, larger throttle body, BMC air filter and some larger diameter intake ducting. I'll then do a before and after comparison to ascertain how the standard ECU adapts to the new hardware.

Also recently sourced a 2nd hand GT3 alcantara covered manual wheel, AMG paddles and a PDK wheel complete (for the airbag) in order to create a flappy paddle 3 spoke wheel.

This will keep me busy over the winter now that Grace is no longer a daily driver. Will all be in place for the trip to Le Mans next year :thumbs:

Wow, really looking forward to the before and after detailed bhp/torque graph and to seeing that slick flappy paddle AMG 3-spoke arrangement/creation as you could be onto a real winner there.

:thumb:

New997buyer said:

The plan is to couple this with an IPD plenum, larger throttle body, BMC air filter and some larger diameter intake ducting. I'll then do a before and after comparison to ascertain how the standard ECU adapts to the new hardware. "

This unique and novel approach to tuning a TC 911 will be interesting as the usual practice is to include a remap to avoid the engine running lean, putting on the CEL light often and ultimately increasing the risk of melting the values. :nooo:

^^^^^^ and yet something else you know less about than you think. I have spoken to several tuners and have actually followed their real world and actual (vs Google and internet) advice.

What prompted me to go this route (I may still go down the map route after) was finding out about the adaptive map on the 997 turbo engine (vs that in the 996 turbo engine which isn't adaptive). My understanding that while remaining within the designated AFR range this will, over a period of time, adapt the fuelling based on the increased air volume to result in an increased power output. Purely through mechanical mods and the software parameters already there.

And flappy paddle steering wheel arrangements are hardly novel. :roll:

Now remind us again, what 997 is it you own? :chin:

New997buyer said:
^^^^^^ and yet something else you know less about than you think. I have spoken to several tuners and have actually followed their real world and actual (vs Google and internet) advice.

What prompted me to go this route (I may still go down the map route after) was finding out about the adaptive map on the 997 turbo engine (vs that in the 996 turbo engine which isn't adaptive). My understanding that while remaining within the designated AFR range this will, over a period of time, adapt the fuelling based on the increased air volume to result in an increased power output. Purely through mechanical mods and the software parameters already there.

And flappy paddle steering wheel arrangements are hardly novel. :roll:

Now remind us again, what 997 is it you own? :chin:

You could be on the cusp of creating a whole new and unique 997 concept/tuned car.....the MercporscheAMG :thumb:

Get it done and keep us posted.

Attachments

• img_3208_509.jpg
    img_3208_509.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,437
Been on the babycham already, Wiz? :what:

N997B, you won't get the full HP increase from these mods without a map (as I'm sure you know), but you will certainly notice a free-er breathing engine with more midrange I would imagine.

Increasing engine airflow and allowing the ECU to adapt has been going on for years. One of the main ways the 986 3.2 and 987 3.2 differ is by porsche restricting the airflow to the engine in order to restrict power in the 986. A common mod is to improve airflow and the ECU self-adapts to increase power. Some reports of 10-20hp increase from removing the inlet restrictions without a map. I know, I've done it. Twice.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back