Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Ha ha fair play to you.

The point I was making is some earlier posts in this thread are a bit critical but we all have a poison right? :)

All I would hope is that you keep hold of your car for some time and enjoy the improvements you have invested in.

Also with regards ending up with the Cab - there are obviously benefits there, especially when the sun is shining 8)

I've just been making sure that I've got all invoices in the history file and thought I'd give the forum the opportunity to spit tea over their keyboards before shouting at their monitor:

• Purchase of car £9,500.00
    PPI £250.00
    Suspension overhall, MAF, etc £5,995.79
    Bodywork after Heathrow Valet parking crashed it £400.00
    Spare key blade £101.50
    New master cylinder and hardtop mounting point £1,382.37
    OBC fitting/enabling £465.55
    Centre console delete and Becker fitting £760.69
    Becker Cascade Pro £550.00
    Carrera 18" alloys £350.00
    Refurb and new tyres for above £1,080.00
    Refurb of 17" ten-spoke wheels £400.00
    AOS, Clutch, pipes etc £5,306.31
    New sun-visors £342.00
    Litronic headlights £650.00
    Purchase and fitting/setup of Ohlins R/T £4,053.94
    Total £31,588.15

As it currently sits the car is in perfect mechanical condition, but it needs* a new roof, and the bodywork attending to - initial stages of corrosion are evident under the door strikers, the boot lid seam and behind the drivers side front wheel.

I've estimated 5k for roof+paint, with a few updates included in that such as seat backs and handbrake surround being painted body colour.

Note that nothing for the engine rebuild is in those costs, which currently stand at two heads, a complete intake and a pair of tubular exhaust manifolds, plus the time spent by the estimable DynoMike.

It would appear that I'm the process of making the car new again, albeit an OEM+ version of new with Ohlins and a 3.7 litre X51 engine, and that appears to cost roughly what a new car costs.

*For my specific value of needs, I admit.

Dammit said:
I've just been making sure that I've got all invoices in the history file and thought I'd give the forum the opportunity to spit tea over their keyboards before shouting at their monitor:

• Purchase of car £9,500.00
    PPI £250.00
    Suspension overhall, MAF, etc £5,995.79
    Bodywork after Heathrow Valet parking crashed it £400.00
    Spare key blade £101.50
    New master cylinder and hardtop mounting point £1,382.37
    OBC fitting/enabling £465.55
    Centre console delete and Becker fitting £760.69
    Becker Cascade Pro £550.00
    Carrera 18" alloys £350.00
    Refurb and new tyres for above £1,080.00
    Refurb of 17" ten-spoke wheels £400.00
    AOS, Clutch, pipes etc £5,306.31
    New sun-visors £342.00
    Litronic headlights £650.00
    Purchase and fitting/setup of Ohlins R/T £4,053.94
    Total £31,588.15

As it currently sits the car is in perfect mechanical condition, but it needs* a new roof, and the bodywork attending to - initial stages of corrosion are evident under the door strikers, the boot lid seam and behind the drivers side front wheel.

I've estimated 5k for roof+paint, with a few updates included in that such as seat backs and handbrake surround being painted body colour.

Note that nothing for the engine rebuild is in those costs, which currently stand at two heads, a complete intake and a pair of tubular exhaust manifolds, plus the time spent by the estimable DynoMike.

It would appear that I'm the process of making the car new again, albeit an OEM+ version of new with Ohlins and a 3.7 litre X51 engine, and that appears to cost roughly what a new car costs.

*For my specific value of needs, I admit.

WOW :eek:

Have you recovered much back by selling unwanted items such as the bilstein suspension, headlamps etc?

Are you keeping the 17's as you could get a decent shout on those as well?

:thumb:

Good point, I made £250 back selling the B4 kit.

The original headlamps are on a shelf in the garage though - as is the rest of the stuff that I've removed such as the tape storage unit, original tape-radio, CD multi changer and so forth. My thought on that was that I should keep it for reasons of originality, which is probably extremely silly.

WRT the 17's I'm wondering about putting winter tyres on them, they're currently still at Exel however - the N-rated Michelins on them have done maybe 1,000 miles, so I'd like to do something with those also.

It's an interesting thing what you've done. Were it a £100,000 911, despite the fact it'd not be worth any more, people would think the amount you've spent less extreme. But it's still the same amount if money. What you've done and are doing is the right thing to get the best example you can. And doing it right, if you can't do the work yourself, is going to cost. It's simply logical. But not everyone is so rational. (I find these types of flaws in human judgement fascinating.)

Hang on to it as the 996 will go up in value as they all do eventually. Then you'll be the one who, if he sells, will get much of that spend back. :thumbs:

Is there any chance you could take a quick measurement for me of your new ride height, nothing technical, just looking for height between floor and arch.

Trying to decide what to do with mine regarding heights and yours is looking good. :thumbs:

Perfect bud.

Much appreciated

And so you don't have to turn the laptop upside down, that's 64.5cm at the front and 65 at the rear I believe.

That's from 118mm and 133mm measured to the Porsche specified datum points under the car.

Thanks for taking the time to do that bud.

Your almost 30mm lower than me all round just to decide what way to go now

No problem at all, happy to be of help.

X74 (which is my ride height) is a drop of 30mm from standard, so that's about right.

I think I've said this before, but it was really interesting (to me!) that when I went to fuel up before heading back down South from CG, when walking back to the car on the Esso forecourt I had the first visceral "this is a 911" moment upon seeing the car.

Obviously I know it's a 911, but there's a difference between knowing what something is and recognising it almost instinctively, if that makes sense?

And it has to be the ride height- I clearly have a mental image of "911", and until the new suspension (and unbeknown to me) my sub-conscious had never associated the car with that mental image.

TL;DR, I think these cars do look better lower.

37514199880_b42f2a0a00_b.jpg

A great thread...thank you so much for all the information. My 996 C2 is the first Porsche that I have owned and reading about all the changes that owners make to their cars is staggering. I have spent all my car-collecting time making sure that the original specification is maintained at all costs so it is quite a breath of fresh air to read of your exploits. Thanks again.

I'm glad that people find the thread interesting - I've derived a great deal of pleasure from reading build threads of others, so I'm hopefully adding something interesting for others.

I had thought that I'd posted this picture but I had not - this is after corner-weighting, and shows that the Ohlins dropped around 20kg vs the B4's:

37175683614_8888638051_b.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back