Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.9 Engine Build

Work continues late last night!

New ims bearing, cover seals, bolts fitted. I went with another NKE bearing from my usual supplier (price had reduced to £6.50). For reference it's a 6204 c3 deep groove bearing and spec'd it with the dust shields but removed both of them. These have an all metal centre cage (I've seen some fibre ones used for this but don't trust them with the heat cycles) and I liberally grease it before install which of course will all wash away after a short time from first start. I don't think I'd trust re-fitting a used bearing not because the old one was goosed but the puller I made uses the centre pin shaft (this one was already uprated) to withdraw the bearing and loads the centre race which will also stress the cage.

Latest 997 version of the rear main seal also shown fitted

Front housing and oil pump installed after a thorough clean, new seals and o rings where required. My FIA water pump was still as new so went back on along with the low temp thermostat although bore score should now be a thing of the past for this modified engine.

All new chains and guides throughout though the old ones weren't particularly worn the plastic does go brittle with age

Cams and intake lifters throughly cleaned and inspected, new INA (which matches the OEM) exhaust lifters

I have the timing tools from last time so all cams re-fitted and both banks timed so the bulk of the work is now done.

Next time ancillaries and then engine can go back into the car (hurrah!!)

:thumb:

Coming along nicely! Impressive stuff.

£6.50 for an IMS bearing? Goes to show...

Looking good Harv :thumb: My 3.9 rebuild now has 8k miles on it, (including a trip across the Alps and a trackday). Still running standard throttle body and plenum and not remapped yet but seems to be performing quite well, (although I can't say its noticeably quicker than when it was a 3.8). Still looking to add the IPD, 82mm TB and remap to finish the engine off, but funds are depleted from the rebuild so probably will not get this done till next year.

Well the engine build is essentially finished and the last parts went on last night 2am.

I had a small setback as I mixed up the pan head and cam cover bolts and put the wrong ones on the perimeter of the chain boxes and one behind the chain guide rail on each head. Anyone else would have left this but it bugged me so took the cams out again to rectify it.

I've replaced the crank position sensor as the old one was original to the car and when they fail you are stranded and I have a few other small mod jobs to do before it goes back into the car tomorrow. Happy to report the GT3 throttle body plenum I made up has gone in like it's an OEM item, I do need to make up a base gasket and I will probably remove the rubber support mount in favour of a solid support connection onto the pas pedistool which should help carry the loads and also knife edge the TB body at the intake rim.

Other works have been sorting out a broken pse valve and having the silencer boxes media cleaned and I can happily say they are still holding up well so will be liberally coated with some VHT paint, the PSE is bloody heavy though!

I found a set of slightly used stainless decat pipes which I've mounted new lambda pre cat sensors and the old post cat ones and they arrived with small cheat stubs so may not trigger the cell light. I discovered one of the old cats had disintegrating internals so these or std cats were needed either way. I may heat wrap the tubular headers and pipes upto the silencers which is something I've done before to good effect.

Next time we should be running but I need to finish the 6pot cayenne caliper conversion before the car can be driven, I'm sure they'll be a few other mods to do along the way and at somepoint I'll merge this thread with the ones for the rest of the car.

:thumb:

Looking great Harv, very much hat's off to you for this project.

Interested in how your throttle body sub-project goes, seems like it's A1 at the moment.

Whilst reading you thread you spoke about your background and how the M96 was a peach to work, any home mechanic can do it. :floor:
Time permitting, I'm hoping to swap out my exhaust this weekend and that has got me nervous....
Great job, I love these threads

Truly inspiring work.

What engine management are you going to use - aftermarket standalone ECU or can it be run on a simple remap of the standard ECU?

I'm leaving it on the standard ECU for now though have built a turbo charged mk2 16v golf engine that runs a stand alone system (mega squirt) in place of the old kjet system.

If any you of have followed poppopbangbang's thread you will see he's running an overbore to 3.7 with what was a 3.4 engine and has reported the ecu has adapted well. I do have an AEM wideband fuel/air ratio guage which in theory would be easy too hook up here to see what's it's doing under load and with WOT but I think longer term somewhere local with the ability to perform data logging and on road mapping will be the order of the day unless anyone has a better suggestion?

With life and winter getting in the way thought it was time to update:

The car was mot'd 3 weeks ago and I now have 300miles on the engine. I have set myself a rev limit of 4K once warm and plan to run the existing mineral oil for 500miles which will then be drained and I'll move to a fully synth (probably 5w-50).

Inital findings are great and this unit has lots of power, eagerly spins up and the car feels like it's lost weight. The total sum of all the mods has given the car midrange that feels akin to the gt3 (and this is a heavy weight 4S).
The ECU has learnt to an extent as initially it wouldn't idle when first started but now warm idle is too high which I assume is as a result of moving to the 82mm gt3 throttle body (or there's a vac leak which needs investigating).

Next step is to put it onto some sports cats, a BMC airfilter and look at pulling some on road ECU map data to check that's it's fuelling safely.

The other noticeable difference is the lack of mechanical noise, significantly less smoke when started warm and zero soot on the tail pipes.

Great news Harv! I bet it feels good to be driving it.

Will you be doing all your own ecu data recording and then mapping?
If so I'm even more impressed.
Either way what you've done is bloody marvellous. :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back