Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3rd brake light

maldren

Albert Park
Does anyone know whether this is a 996 special part or whether it is used elsewhere as well and available cheaper?

I think its the same one fitted to the Boxster as well but I am not sure if this helps.

Managed to get mine from Cotswold Porsche who break Boxsters on a regular basis.

Regards

Yes I think he is right ie. also on the Boxster. I looked at mine a while ago as someone noticed not all the lights bulbs were lit (7 in all - ?). Firstly the whole unit has rather fragile clips holding it together so be aware*. Secondly the cause of some bulbs not lighting is down to the poor design. The bulb connectors are not particularly robust and I am sure soldering some of the joins would help.

I think that the copper strips that make the connectors to all the bulbs just get a bit damp and as the connections are not solid not all the bulbs light up all of the time.

That said you may be 'lucky' and a bulb has gone (doubtful) and so a replacement will fix the problem. After that all you will need to remember is that the clips are fragile* :D

Pip

I've taken the light out and found it's an after market LED part and it seems a couple of the LEDs have failed. The similar part on the spoiler wasn't working at all but it had been fitted incorrectly and the plug wasn't squarely connected!

I've swapped the parts over to get a fully working, non spoiler light.

Has anyone taken an aftermarket light apart and repaired it?

It cannot be hard. I thought the 996 was LED before I dismantled it. If you can source some replacement bulbs it and have a soldering iron Bob's your uncle surely.

Pip

Hi Pip,
the problem is that the light is a sealed unit, I would have to cut it apart to change the LEDs and this is a step with no going back!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back