Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road trip to the North of Scotland in the RS

They're some of the best shots I've seen, as others have said pro std. Out of interest what camera eqpt were you using?
Lived in Inverness and know those roads well, they are epic and the best in the UK miss them but not the Speed guns!
Well done guys :thumb:

easternjets said:
They're some of the best shots I've seen, as others have said pro std. Out of interest what camera eqpt were you using?

:thumb:

Olympus OMD E-M5. Love it, small and compact but rivals a full frame SLR.

Thanks for the kind comments. It was a great weekend :thumb:

What a fantastic looking trip tp81, do you have any recs for itin and night stops?

selling the 930 Tom :eek:

madge said:
tp81 said:
36831821113_136143c986_b.jpg

Even though it doesn't contain the 993 this is picture is fantastic! :worship:

Many pros would give a right testicle to get that picture :thumb:

It's the last great European wilderness....."Gods country"

http://wilderness-society.org/wolf-pack-released-in-the-scottish-highlands/

:eek:

Wolves

What a complete bunch of utter *****. When the first tourists child is killed by a wolf I wonder if it will still be so amazing. I hope they all get shot before they can breed :evil:

The dream of having wolves is all very good as long as it's kept as that, unfortunately the reality is a different story.
It's all well and good in the wilds of Alaska but the Highlands not a chance.

Had an Olympus OM-10 in a different life and it took some of the best pictures I've ever taken, must have been the camera!

Re: Wolves

stichill99 said:
What a complete bunch of utter *****. When the first tourists child is killed by a wolf I wonder if it will still be so amazing. I hope they all get shot before they can breed :evil:

It's a dumb idea conceived by somebody who has never lived in the Highlands no doubt

Actually they were brought in to try and address the deer breeding explosion that's happening. Many accidents are occurring involving deer/stags and they are wrecking forests and vegetation on a scale never seen before.

Wolves are more afraid of man than man is of them.

As long as wolves have food(which they do up North) they won't come within a mile of anyone and will do anything to avoid coming in contact with man.

The remote parts of Scotland are so vast you could spend 10 years trying to see one and probably never would.

"'There are wolves all over Europe and they don't cause problems. When was the last time you heard someone being killed by a wolf?

'Statistics show that you have more chance of being killed in a car going to visit a wolf in captivity than you have of being attacked by one in the wild. And no lynx has ever killed a child or a human. Reintroducing them could allow our children the chance to enjoy our amazing natural heritage which has been wiped out by upland sheep farming."

"Peter Smith, CEO of the Wildwood Trust, said the charity wants to reintroduce lynx in the next few years, followed by wolves in around two decades, and brown bears within 50 years. But they first must meet rewilding protocols set out by The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and then gain a licence from Natural England.

'These animals were all once native to Britain, and the benefits they could bring to the ecology of Britain would be immense," he said

'Wolves and lynx will change the behaviour of the deer, causing populations to drop naturally, which helps plants and trees to flourish."

Not so sure about bringing bears back mind you :eek:

"'There are wolves all over Europe and they don't cause problems. When was the last time you heard someone being killed by a wolf?

Actually records show that there has been over 70 Wolf attacks in Europe.

If you want to control the Deer population there's a very simple and effective solution tried and tested over decades, shoot them! The Venison goes into the food chain, 2 birds one bullet so to speak.
When you watch programmes about landowners wanting to reintroduce wolves into Scotland they are generally well meaning ex Lawyers/Businessmen who have a dream and buy an Estate in the Highlands and impose their dream on everyone else, it's all romantic jibbersih!

Historic land reforms have left us with the present Highland economic and environmental climate.

Deer and grouse population has significantly changed the Highlands for the benefit of the privileged few along with deforestation and conifer planting.

If what we call now 'ancient forests' were dominant, like when Wolves roamed around, then reintroduction may not seem so ludicrous.......

easternjets said:

Actually records show that there has been over 70 Wolf attacks in Europe.

If you want to control the Deer population there's a very simple and effective solution tried and tested over decades, shoot them! The Venison goes into the food chain, 2 birds one bullet so to speak.
When you watch programmes about landowners wanting to reintroduce wolves into Scotland they are generally well meaning ex Lawyers/Businessmen who have a dream and buy an Estate in the Highlands and impose their dream on everyone else, it's all romantic jibbersih!

I shoot and I know how many deer exist. There are not enough guns about to do the job and health and safety would be worse(more injured by guns vs wolf) if people were just left to blast away in such an uncontrolled manner...it's not the answer and maybe neither is the wolf but deer are destroying the highlands as their numbers grow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back