Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE blowing when cold

freshy

Silverstone
My rusty PSE is now blowing when cold! :sad:

Anyone know if this terminal or can it be repaired?

Mine rattles a bit and blows when its cold but sounds superb when at temperature, i had the exhaust taken off seams inspected and all the bolts to hangers actuators checked and one renewed etc, the exhaust tech said he doesn't think the seams are too bad and couldn't hear anything 'loose' internal so refitted and as i went down the road it sounded the same no change still 'blowing raspy' sound until up to temp..., in my thread a member on here mentioned it might be an internal section that needs welding back (in my case) but yours could just been a blown seam causing it, so i would say get it looked at and repaired for sure i wanted to retain the factory PSE.

Please update as i still scratching my head with mine (not had the cut open yet tho) but be interested to know what yours sounds like when cold.

Same issue for me I have a 2000 c2 with non switchable PSE cold start you hear the blow as she warms up it disappears.
Indy says seams have gone and tried to sell me a new exhaust which I do not want.
Asked can you weld seams he said no,,,,
Leave near West London heathrow area any suggestions of Indy's that can weld repair the original exhaust

Same thing happened to my pse
My indy replaced a clamp £50 all in

Will make a video when I not in a rush, I use mine as a daily driver at the moment and it sounds awful until it warms up. Hence keen to get this sorted asap.

I'm in East Berkshire and the Indy I spoke to on the phone said they don't weld or repair just replace them..

As per 996mike, Any indy/exhaust recommendations would be appreciated.

I just had my PSE dropped, seams welded and system refitted with a stainless fitting kit for about £500. Sounds steep but it was stubborn to remove and I wanted to keep it. Apparently the seams were blowing slightly (I didn't realise, thought I was catching it in time). It can be done but it's a time-consuming PITA.

Do you know where its blowing from? I've PSE and had my seams welded up...usually ok to do this providing they haven't split up the sides.

The bolts on the flanges can go sometimes too so if its from there you're best to get the old studs out and replace with stainless bolts

Half the problem is after 5mins of driving it stops blowing, so when I took it to a mates place he said it seemed fine!

Here's a video although it sounds much worse in person & when driving, will have to do a take two when I get someone to wake up early & rev it for me.

https://youtu.be/NBiH1ECIyo8

Freshy that is the noise i have and yes its much worse in the flesh and under load, i feel for you as i experienced the same thing when i took mine to be 'repaired' he used a stethoscope around the seams while idling, said seams are fine it WOULD NOT play ball even after cooling for 30mins it's only when i have moved off its odd and quite annoying even now typing this thinking about it ha!, i had them fit my new clamp kit and all new bolts etc refit £150 plus 5hrs later including head scratching and faffing started it up (4 hours cold by this point) on ramps nothing, sounds sweet as a nut, fitter was grinning i was not convinced as its always when i drive away under load that it starts but thought of maybe it was a rusty clamp or the actuator that we replaced but i was so late by this point i had to be off.. 5mins down the road same as usual that dreaded buzzing/vibrating blow noise until warm.

Not been back since and when i do i'll be taking the guy out but that doesn't mean he is going to know what it is having stripped it down before and not finding the fault! my thoughts are its a loose heat shield on the offending side or internal as mentioned on my cars thread, determined to get it sorted as the exhaust is in good condition.

If you get anywhere with it update us.

23683825888_61f0c677cf_z.jpg

Still not managed to get the car on a ramp, however found a culprit..

5hrs of labour =

All exhaust fittings changed!

:thumb:
Did you change the studs for stainless steel ones? Can't see the flanges in the pictures and looks like slightly different clamps there

I got the full EuroCupGt exhaust fitting kit from Porscheshop for £90.

Includes A2 grade Stainless Exhaust Nuts, Bolts & Gaskets. Also includes Galvanised cat pipe sleeves & Stainless Tail pipe Clamps,

They also put a couple of extra clamps on there to give extra support as it was blowing on the off side flexi part. I

'll take pictures of the flange bolts today, didn't touch the manifold..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back