Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Molegrips on nipples

Isn't the bleed process a bit tricky with the abs and need some special method to do it?

Normal bleeding is fine , you only need a tester if the valve body / abs pump is replaced or has bled out which cant really happen on the car .

If the pedal is hard then you have bled the system .. to continue now will probably mean snapped bleed nipples ..

If i was you id stop while i was ahead for now :)

alex yates said:
Isn't the bleed process a bit tricky with the abs and need some special method to do it?

I asked the same thing Alex...but Demort put me right :thumb:

Demort said:
Normal bleeding is fine , you only need a tester if the valve body / abs pump is replaced or has bled out which cant really happen on the car .

If the pedal is hard then you have bled the system .. to continue now will probably mean snapped bleed nipples ..

If i was you id stop while i was ahead for now :)

What!! Quit now and miss out on all the fun :lol:
I was thinking exactly the same thing... infact I was just getting my wheels ready to put back on tomorrow :oops: :grin:

I'll still put the new nipples on the one's I managed to free off.. I'm hoping titanium one's will be harder to snap in the future :dont know:

Don't use mole crips or a spanner on a bleed nipple!

My method:

Tap tap tap them with a hammer.

Chuck a few kettles of boiling water on them (or use better heat)

Use the T handle in your socket set (yes that thing you never use)

Use a 6 point socket

Use the T handle to apply equal rotational force to the nipple.

Any spanner or ratchet will apply a horizontal moment as well as a rotational moment which will snap the nipple.

Always use the T handle.

wasz said:
Don't use mole crips or a spanner on a bleed nipple!

My method:

Tap tap tap them with a hammer.

Chuck a few kettles of boiling water on them (or use better heat)

Use the T handle in your socket set (yes that thing you never use)

Use a 6 point socket

Use the T handle to apply equal rotational force to the nipple.

Any spanner or ratchet will apply a horizontal moment as well as a rotational moment which will snap the nipple.

Always use the T handle.

If you have sockets that drive off the flats, even better.

Maybe it's because......

we are on the approach to Christmas or possibly just he way my mind works, but when I saw this thread title appear as
Molegrips on nipples, I immediately had the Sound of Music tune going round in my head. As in ....." whiskers on kittens and molegrips on nipples"

:eh!:

I'll get my coat :wack:

Re: Maybe it's because......

peterzoom said:
we are on the approach to Christmas or possibly just he way my mind works, but when I saw this thread title appear as
Molegrips on nipples, I immediately had the Sound of Music tune going round in my head. As in ....." whiskers on kittens and molegrips on nipples"

:eh!:

I'll get my coat :wack:

:floor: :floor: :worship: :thumb:

Oh squit.... It's First opportunity I've had today to take it off the axle stands....
Guess what... I fired it up... now the brake peddle goes straight to the floor :sad:
It was fine when the front end was raised :dont know:
I presume it's a air lock or something :?:

Yup .

If the resevoir emptyed completly you will need to bleed the rears .. basically bleed what you can and see if you can get a pedal .

It can help if you not only use something to suck the fluid through but also have some one pump the pedal at the same time .

One possible trick is several fast pumps of the pedal followed by open and down close and up then repeat .

Do this with what nipples you can and cross your fingers before going at the siezed ones .

Demort said:
Yup .

If the resevoir emptyed completly you will need to bleed the rears .. basically bleed what you can and see if you can get a pedal .

It can help if you not only use something to suck the fluid through but also have some one pump the pedal at the same time .

One possible trick is several fast pumps of the pedal followed by open and down close and up then repeat .

Do this with what nipples you can and cross your fingers before going at the siezed ones .

Amen to that... I've got everything crossed :lol:
Cheers I'll give it a go :thumbs:

The reason the pedal goes to the floor when you've started the engine is just cos the additional assistance from the servo.

I won't give you any advice on getting the nipple loose as I tried everything and still snapped it. The 6 sided socket helped grip it nicely tho! Buy some spares to replace them once they start getting sticky - not worth the risk of them getting stuck again in the future

And as long as you haven't let the reservoir run out you don't need to cycle the abs valves.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back