Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Viewing my first 997 tonight

To give you an idea I bought an almost identical car inJan from OPC for 30k with 43k miles. Probably a reasonable buy at that time with lots of work done during prep. Mine has PSE, sports chrono, Ceramics, short shift, sports suspension and adaptive sports seats, no Bose though.

@JonnyBaddeley You got a very very good deal then.

On reflection, you are all right, it isn't highly specced. It does have heated seats, cruise control, Turbo alloys, Sat nav but that's it. To be honest, that's good enough got me. Condition is the most important thing to me.

@Oiarjzuizo ?

@Phil 997 - Thanks for your comments and VIN info.

@TonyC911 - Not sure on the exhuast, it could just be a Gundo hack? It sounded great though. I agree that if I wait, I could get a newer and better car for slightly less money.

benbuhagiar said:
Right gents, so this is the car - http://www.pauldevyea.co.uk/porsche-911997-3-8-carrera-2s-coupe/

The pictures don't do it justice, wasn't too sure on red but after seeing it in the flesh, I think it's fantastic.

First of all, I didn't get to drive it :x Located next to a reservoir and apparently he can't make too much noise outside of normal business hours incase of complaints. Had I wanted to buy it there and then, he would have let me drive it regardless of the rules. My stance was, let me drive it and I may want to buy it. Did invite me to come back during business hours or Saturday morning though. Nice enough guy though and I'm only 10 miles down the road.

Very well specced and in great condition for the age. It is a late 2005 car with the upgraded IMS (didn't get the VIN to verify this but could get it emailed to me) and showed me pictures of the borescope which looked fine. (could have showed me any pictures though, how would I know what car it was???)

Has a sports exhaust, started it and WOW! What an intoxicating sound. My only concern would be does it draw too much attention?

@resigner It did have Michelin tyres which had plenty of tread. He provides his own in-house warranty for 6 months, not a third party one.

I asked would he do a deal for £27k and the answer was no. It's £27,995, take it or leave it.

Spoke about 997 cars in general and he buys 3.6 cars without a borescope inspection, but does inspect every 3.8 car. He thinks the 3.6 is a much much more reliable engine and although the car I saw was fine now, couldn't give any guarantees for the future (wouldn't expect him to).

Anyway, £27,995 is over my budget and I haven't even driven a 997 yet, but does look a fantastic car.

I met Paul about 2 months ago looking at this car.....

http://www.pauldevyea.co.uk/porsche-911997-3-6-gen-ii-carrera-2-coupe/

No surprise that he still has it. The rear seats are heavily marked at the top. He doesn't seem to trust people with test drives. When looking at the car for the 2nd viewing after some pushing and making comments such as " I'm not buying a car without a test drive" he reluctantly game me a test drive.

He seems trust worthy enough but he is a very hard man to deal with as running a business himself with thousand pounds of stock is not a easy thing I gather and appreciate.

Anyway I made an offer on the car for 38K and he was rude. Agreed it was a bit cheeky but he was in no mood to negotiate.

He has sold a car to James May which I'm sure he would have told you about...

I'm sure his cars are of a good quality and he has does do over revving checks etc.. but if I was in the market for a gen1 C2 I would want a bore check done...

Don't expect that you can get a good deal from Paul is all I can say...

All the best going forwards
:thumb:

Hi guys,

Test drove this today... https://www.vvsuk.co.uk/vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U498/

What are your thoughts on the car?

It is the first 997 I have driven and I actually liked the Tiptronic gearbox. I'd love PDK but out of my current budget. Thought the car was fantastic and 325bhp is plenty.

Generally in good condition for a 13 year old car and has enough extras for my liking, as I only really want Bose, heated seats and cruise control.

Couple of negative points:

1) Serviced in 2013 at 59k, next service was 2016 at 81k. - 3 years without a service...? Plus it due a service now, which they said they will arrange with Project Nine
2) On the back it has "Porsche" badging as opposed to "Carrera". The "Porsche" lettering is slightly wonky.
3) The Car has been off the road since July 2017 and they've had it for 4/5 months. Why hasn't it sold?

Thanks guys.

benbuhagiar said:
Hi guys,

Test drove this today... https://www.vvsuk.co.uk/vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U498/

What are your thoughts on the car?

It is the first 997 I have driven and I actually liked the Tiptronic gearbox. I'd love PDK but out of my current budget. Thought the car was fantastic and 325bhp is plenty.

Generally in good condition for a 13 year old car and has enough extras for my liking, as I only really want Bose, heated seats and cruise control.

Couple of negative points:

1) Serviced in 2013 at 59k, next service was 2016 at 81k. - 3 years without a service...? Plus it due a service now, which they said they will arrange with Project Nine
2) On the back it has "Porsche" badging as opposed to "Carrera". The "Porsche" lettering is slightly wonky.
3) The Car has been off the road since July 2017 and they've had it for 4/5 months. Why hasn't it sold?

Thanks guys.

Hi Ben, the 3.6 engine is a stronger unit than the 3.8 its the right sort of money for an 05 with nearly 90k on it which is around 7.5k per annum
depends on when it was produced in 05 as to whether its got the old style IMS bearings which are vunerable and would need an upgrate asap cost 1k some late 05 cars have the newer better IMS .
100% RECCOMEND a PPI and borescope before you buy it , I am concerened why its sat around for 5 months and has it failed other buyers PPI borescope which is why its a must do for you.
the Carrera badge is very easy to replace if you wanted to or get the Porsche replaced straight lol. it looks like a straight unmolested car but you do often find the 3.6s are not played around with as much as the 3.8. Spec is Lowish but as you say thats not an issue to you and the sunroof delete IMO is a bonus

The paint looks tidy for a 90k 05 car so check panel alignement and check for panel colour match to make sure its not been bent at some point,

Last observation the dealer makes a point several times about part ex to clear rules apply , indication you have no recourse with him which is a worry. and says full service history which it hasnt so again indicates, eyes wide open when viewing.

So go eyes open and armed with as much info as you can

IMS engine number info hope it helps

Last IMS revision before no IMS (Gen2 MA1 block):

997 Carrera 3.6 with engine numbers from M96/0569507475 are the new IMS design.

M96/05 = 997 3.6 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
9 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
07475 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

997 Carrera S 3.8 with engine numbers from M97/0168509790 are the new IMS design.

M97/01 = 997 3.8 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
8 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
09790 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

The gap in the service would put me off a bit and might affect the car when you try to sell it

You might want to see if you can get a test drive in a manual or a 3.8 to really see which spec car you want

has anybody mentioned oil leaks, you often get a drip after a run,, but you don't want more than that.

look to see if its been obviously wiped clean in that area, then go under after a drive and check.

Also make sure gearbox is tight with no leakage.

Thanks guys. Have attached a few photos.

Attachments

• img_4907_178.jpg
    img_4907_178.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,657
Rear of car attached.

Attachments

• img_4906_160.jpg
    img_4906_160.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,656
'part exchange to clear rules apply" on what ought to be a highly retailable car?!? I smell a rat (and can't actually find any of their specific p/x rules stated on the website, I've not looked hard though).

Anyway, at the lower end of the used car market, stating p/x to clear etc on a £1000 Mondeo where comparable cars (age / mileage / condition) would normally be £3k for example, would mean that Trading Standards would view in context and you would likely have little recourse. It must still be fit for purpose of course, and on a £22k Porsche 911 it is likely that purpose is enjoying the full performance of the vehicle (within the confines of the law), and as such you would likely win the day in court. However, for a dealer to feel the need to state that in the advert would suggest that a) they know something is about to go pop and b) they would make it very difficult for you to get anywhere without a fight.

Your statutory rights as a consumer will not be affected by any amount of 'p/x to clear" statements.

If it were me, I'd continue the search (your search thread began in September so you seem to have the patience).

Good luck with the search.

Oh and just to add, Vas Vehicle Solutions Ltd dissolved on 5th December 2017.

But don't worry, Mr Vas isn't homeless and starving, he's also director of three other businesses with net assets of over £50 million (two of those businesses are allegedly tax loophole businesses by the way).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back