Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 4
997 : 2004- 64
996 : 1997-2005 50
993 : 1993-1998 9
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On suspension chassis I'd go to Mike Gardner Racing. Ohlins dealers and they have just released a very reasonably modern set of shocks for the 993. Much higher quality like for like than Bilsteins which rust with our salty roads for fun.

nickjonesn4
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dragon wrote:
On suspension chassis I'd go to Mike Gardner Racing. Ohlins dealers and they have just released a very reasonably modern set of shocks for the 993. Much higher quality like for like than Bilsteins which rust with our salty roads for fun.

Thanks. I really fancy those Ohlins shocks. Have them on my Golf R

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjonesn4 wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:

Interesting i find the mk7 Golf R chassis wise amazing straight out the box. Whats it like on Ohlins as you lose the ACC? Question

nickjonesn4
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dragon wrote:
nickjonesn4 wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:

Interesting i find the mk7 Golf R chassis wise amazing straight out the box. Whats it like on Ohlins as you lose the ACC? Question

I didn't spec the ACC as Race/Sport unusable in Edinburgh due to terrible roads. The Ohlins just add to the fun IMO as they go through the travel much less quickly than stock. This means the car rides better and has less body roll on the ploughed fields we have here instead of roads.

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have ACC and never use sport or race. Always leave it in individual with everything in sport apart from dampers. ACC brilliant on give and take roads like the ones you mention! Try one with the active dampers next time -Thumb

nickjonesn4
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dragon wrote:
Have ACC and never use sport or race. Always leave it in individual with everything in sport apart from dampers. ACC brilliant on give and take roads like the ones you mention! Try one with the active dampers next time -Thumb

The standard dampers give exactly the same ride as DCC set in Normal. The set up is the same. I would use the Comfort setting if I'd had them but never Sport which is ubsuable on UK roads. I knew l would be getting coilovers (and upgraded brakes and tuning) hence saving a few quid on DCC.

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjonesn4 wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:

The standard dampers give exactly the same ride as DCC set in Normal. The set up is the same. I would use the Comfort setting if I'd had them but never Sport which is ubsuable on UK roads. I knew l would be getting coilers (and upgraded brakes and tuning) hence saving a few quid on DCC.

Thanks for this. I had not appreciated they were the same ride. The body control on the dynamic dampers (not driven passive set up) on twisty roads with crests and dips is frightengly good. Better than most sports cars costing triple the amount. I've never understood why people do not find the R or GTI CS/PP quick. They're 911 fast if driven properly down those sort of roads especially with your goodies thumbsup

nickjonesn4
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Dragon wrote:
nickjonesn4 wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:

The standard dampers give exactly the same ride as DCC set in Normal. The set up is the same. I would use the Comfort setting if I'd had them but never Sport which is ubsuable on UK roads. I knew l would be getting coilers (and upgraded brakes and tuning) hence saving a few quid on DCC.

Thanks for this. I had not appreciated they were the same ride. The body control on the dynamic dampers (not driven passive set up) on twisty roads with crests and dips is frightengly good. Better than most sports cars costing triple the amount. I've never understood why people do not find the R or GTI CS/PP quick. They're 911 fast if driven properly down those sort of roads especially with your goodies thumbsup

Agreed, one of the fastest UK road cars available. As you say, especially when you get into giving the engine some encouragement with a map and sort the exhaust out.

Steering is a bit dead and there is some lag but other than that pretty amazing for £35k

Still not a Porsche tho!

Desert Dragon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjonesn4 wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:
nickjonesn4 wrote:
Desert Dragon wrote:

Agreed, one of the fastest UK road cars available. As you say, especially when you get into giving the engine some encouragement with a map and sort the exhaust out.

Steering is a bit dead and there is some lag but other than that pretty amazing for £35k

Still not a Porsche tho!

Have a look at the new autocar vid comparing R to Civic R. The journos both come to same conclusion after I'd spent a few hours in one! Best car in the world thumbsup

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: