Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Checking oil temperature on 996 turbo

MisterCorn

As we know, there is no oil temperature gauge on the 996 turbo. I have mentioned before that you can get an idea of when the oil is hot by using the oil level check function. Today I found out at what temperature that is activated. The answer is.......

76 degrees C.

So when you can check your oil level, or it comes up with the message that you can only check with the car not moving, your oil is at least 76 degrees C. I figured this out after I have been playing with looking at other CAN parameters on my car for some testing I am doing.

Oil temperature and coolant temperature track together pretty well in gentle driving, up until around 80 degrees where the coolant stabilises and the oil continues to rise until settling just over 90.

MC

Top data logging! Very interesting stuff M. I had wondered for a while what the coolant vs. oil temperature gradients were like during warm up.

I guess enquiring minds can never know enough!

Very useful.

So, of this is activated a 76c, is its safe to nail a 996tt or should you wait until the oil is hotter?

I ask as I am always wary of damaging the engine/turbos if the oil isn't hot enough.

Thanks

More superb data. Thanks for sharing MC :thumbs:

P911X50 said:
Very useful.

So, of this is activated a 76c, is its safe to nail a 996tt or should you wait until the oil is hotter?

I ask as I am always wary of damaging the engine/turbos if the oil isn't hot enough.

Thanks

At 76 degrees it is deemed by Porsche to be up too operating temperature. As you can see from the graph, it reached this after around 4.5km but didn't fully stabilise until around 15km. This was with gentle driving on mostly 30/40mph roads.

I set up the shift lights on the display to finish at 3k rpm when oil temperature is under 76 degrees and change to 6k above that.

MC

ragpicker said:
Whenever I click on the images to get a closer look I'm shown images of busty latin and russian women... A little sideline you've got going MC??

:oops:

I think many of these website show adverts based on your previous browsing activity. I am afraid it says more about you than me. :eek:

MC

MisterCorn said:
ragpicker said:
Whenever I click on the images to get a closer look I'm shown images of busty latin and russian women... A little sideline you've got going MC??

:oops:

I think many of these website show adverts based on your previous browsing activity. I am afraid it says more about you than me. :eek:

MC
If it's any consolation, I'm seeing the same smut too. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back