Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Sport Plug and Play PASM upgrade

krispe said:
996ttalot said:
Struggling to see how you only get to £400 difference ? DSC + 3x fitted is about £1500. Fitting Ohlins is going to be the best part of £1100 including vat assuming you don't need any other parts and then you have the Ohlins on top?

One of the main benefits of the DSC is the price difference over the like of Ohlins.

In terms of driving, I have done both. Ohlins will give you more adjustment if you are into track days etc, but for mostly road usage, the DSC is all you need.

Ken

The £400 difference was just on the initial purchase price and was only applicable to me due to personal business purchase options :wink: . I hadn't included fitting of the ohlins but again it will work out a lot less than £1100 for me. I would also then have the benefit new shocks and springs all round and would then probably also re-sell my Eibach springs. The issue with just going DSC is I'm still running around on 60k mile shocks which may need replacement (or service) at some point in the near future which then also adds further costs.

I am really interested in your driving opinions Ken as that's really what I'm after as not many have driven both. I love the idea of a new set of Ohlins on my car as have read so many good reviews, but only if my 'daily driving' isn't compromised. However I quite like the way my car handles now most of the time. It's just 'Normal' is a bit too soft (body roll and dive) for 'pressing on' sometimes, and 'Sport' too bouncy (for the road). I guess DSC would be the best option to try first as I'm pretty sure I could re-sell it on here pretty quickly if I then decide I still want Ohlins. I do like being able to have a 'great' road setting and track setting at the touch of a button.

You make a valid point about the state of your existing suspension. If you are at that point then potentially going Ohlins route works, or you could do b16 and retain the PASM.

What you are after is achieved through the DSC. I have not had a customer who thinks otherwise and I have sold over 100 units this year alone. And that applies through to 991 where the PASM is slightly better.

Actually surprised Porsche have just not bought the DSC module to be frank.

Ohlins will always feel better for the reasons you have already stated. We fit Ohlins on a regular basis for non PASM cars, and occasionally on PASM cars. However I feel DSC gets you 95% of the way, assuming the car is set up correctly well. When we fit DSC we normally will make sure if shop installation that the geometry is done as well and dampers are in good condition.

You made a good observation - if you buy the DSC and feel you then need to move to Ohlins, then you will get back pretty much what you have paid for it. I wouldn't dismiss the idea of if you like the DSC, when you want a further upgrade (or refresh) of suspension, then go b16 route - that is if you can get them as we have 5 sets on order for 4 months now :nooo:

For me personally I would go with Ohlins any day from a vfm perspective, far superior quality springs and dampers over oem and no box of tricks will ever make beat higher quality suspension components.

Dont suppose anyone has a used DSC SPORT v1 they want to sell :lol: :D

Big :thumbs: from me on the DSC box too. Put simply it addresses the technological advances in electronics since the cars were built and now. And the results are phenomenal.

As Ken muses it is a curious thing that Porsche haven't taken more interest DSC. In sourcing isn't what I'd expect them to do though, instead I'd have thought they might consider them as part of their supply chain. It's disappointing that they haven't.

DSC might want to approach Delphi, Faurecia, Denso et al instead :?:

Longer and harder test for me last night. It's remarkable. There is one corner that is a 100degree corner on a fave route of mine. It has an adverse camber, and a drop off so jeopardy is high. With PASM the car and the corner feel risky at speed. With the DSC Sport controller I hit the corner faster than before and the outside front wheel just dug into the tarmac and the car shot around. OMG.

On the comfort side, I could barely tell the difference between sport and std. both are very compliant.

I do have some weird buggy behaviours with various buttons so I need to explore those with DSC directly.

Jcx said:
Longer and harder test for me last night. It's remarkable. There is one corner that is a 100degree corner on a fave route of mine. It has an adverse camber, and a drop off so jeopardy is high. With PASM the car and the corner feel risky at speed. With the DSC Sport controller I hit the corner faster than before and the outside front wheel just dug into the tarmac and the car shot around. OMG.

On the comfort side, I could barely tell the difference between sport and std. both are very compliant.

I do have some weird buggy behaviours with various buttons so I need to explore those with DSC directly.

what sort of weird buggy behaviour with the buttons , isnt it a simple sport on or sport off which leads me to another question does the unit run from the existing sport button in the car or do you have a complicated box of tricks controller on view constantly . :?:

Phil 997 said:
Jcx said:

what sort of weird buggy behaviour with the buttons , isnt it a simple sport on or sport off which leads me to another question does the unit run from the existing sport button in the car or do you have a complicated box of tricks controller on view constantly . :?:

The box uses the std buttons. It's a very clean implementation. The buggy bits are bug-like and quite random. I'll investigate with DSC and report back. The issue could be between the button and the seat ;-)

Each subsequent post that lands on this thread puts me closer to £1k leaving my bank account!! :pc:

I have one on my turbo - great piece of kit, transformed the handling of the car enormously (I'm running on TechArt sports springs with stock PASM dampers too) - highly recommended :thumb:

It's odd to find a modification that receives such universal praise from so many quarters. It must be some piece of kit. Might have to add it to my shopping list for when I get my 997.2 C2S.

Is the suspension on the 997.2 C2S largely the same as the previous generation 997.1 C2S?

toffeeman said:
It's odd to find a modification that receives such universal praise from so many quarters. It must be some piece of kit. Might have to add it to my shopping list for when I get my 997.2 C2S.

Is the suspension on the 997.2 C2S largely the same as the previous generation 997.1 C2S?

I believe you'll need to buy the 3-axis accelerometer too (the 997 turbos have them built in from the factory whereas the 997 C2S don't)

DeathStar said:
toffeeman said:

I believe you'll need to buy the 3-axis accelerometer too (the 997 turbos have them built in from the factory whereas the 997 C2S don't)

I think its only Gen 1 Turbos that have it while other Gen 1s do not. All Gen 2s have the acceleromithingy. ICBW.

Jcx said:
DeathStar said:
toffeeman said:

I think its only Gen 1 Turbos that have it while other Gen 1s do not. All Gen 2s have the acceleromithingy. ICBW.

Ah, ok - I wasn't aware of that! Ignore my comment then toffeeman ...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back