Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S Top Mount Advice

BChivs

Hi,

I had planned to lower/upgrade the suspension on my C4S but not quite so soon...after being advised during its service last week that I need new top mounts I thought I would get it done sooner all in one hit......I haven't 100% decided on which suspension yet still torn.

I like the convenience of the M030...reasonably priced, ARB's inc, and all purchased together ready for a straight swap over. I just don't know if it will give me the stance I'm looking for.
I'm leaning to -25mm RUF springs (H&R look a little too low), coupled up with Bilstien B8 dampers. I've priced up and should come in near the £1200 mark. Someone did throw a curve ball on Rennlist pointing out that PSS10's are on offer at Carnewal for £1600ish, but I don't think I will ever benefit from full coilovers.

My question is do I still buy stock OEM top mounts, or do I need an alternative version if lowering....I noticed Design911 have top mounts specifically for the M030? These are pricey though....a pair of stock top mounts will be less than £100, whereas the M030 jobbies are over £400 notes.

Then I saw these for a pair......https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bille...omski-racing-pair-all-996-997-986-987-ca.html

Any advice would be really appreciated👍🏻

The PSS10's at Carnewal are £2011.88 on the current exchange rate... They did use to work out around £1600 :sad:

I will be looking for some shocks for mine soon too.. There doesn't appear to be a simple option for the C4s :dont know:

Regarding those solid bearing type top mounts.. I was advised that they made the ride harsh and noisy... I can't verify this personally because I went for the 997 c4s one's instead.

paul987 said:
The PSS10's at Carnewal are £2011.88 on the current exchange rate... They did use to work out around £1600 :sad:

I will be looking for some shocks for mine soon too.. There doesn't appear to be a simple option for the C4s :dont know:

Regarding those solid bearing type top mounts.. I was advised that they made the ride harsh and noisy... I can't verify this personally because I went for the 997 c4s one's instead.

I had OEM top mounts suitable for M030 in my basket on Design911 but hesitated as they were £208 each side plus the VAT!....if that's best suited for a lowered set up I may need to bite the bullet, but I don't really understand what would be much different to the M030 suited mounts than the stock type. A pair of pattern top mounts for a stock C4S set up are around £90....a fair saving!
I did read the 997 ones fit....are they ok? I am fairly set on RUF springs/B8's but not sure it stock topmounts will be ok or if there is a significant reason why Porsche spec different mounts when using the M030/X73?

Hi,

A couple of things:

Design 911 incorrectly list the M030 mounts as being different to the regular ones, AFAIK they're the same - certainly Porsche don't list them in that way on the web catalogue/PET, it's only the X73/74 mounts that are different. You don't get them in the M030 kits either...!

And I think it's X74 for a C2, yours being a C4S (4wd) would be X73(?)

I looked into this on the C2 top mountings and the only difference I can see between the X74 and regular/M030 ones is that they offset the captive threads on the mount where it attaches to the body by a few mm to allow for full range of camber adjustment for the lowered chassis height. There's quite a tolerance on the slotted adjuster (ie the strut tower) anyway so probably unnecessary in most cases in order to set the correct camber position. If anything standard mounts on a lowered car would allow you to dial in a greater amount of negative camber which is often popular with more aggressive geo setups.

The original part is made by Sachs/Lemforder (same company) so save yourself the Porsche tax and buy direct IMHO :thumbs:

Regarding your suspension options, choose carefully. Whilst it may be popular to upgrade to ever more track focussed suspension do have a reality check with yourself first. What are the roads like where you live (speed humps, potholes etc!), and what sort of use will the car get? Sunday pub lunches and evenings out with the missus might be spoiled otherwise!

I've got the X74 suspension on mine and whilst the car handles like a go-kart I have to say around town and on rough roads it's pretty harsh - you feel every cats eye, drain cover and join in road surface. For smooth A-roads and motorways it's fine but there is a trade off - otherwise Porsche would have specified a lower ride height and stiffer setup for all of the 996 models.

Maybe see if you can have a ride out in another car with a suspension kit similar to what you're considering to help you decide 8)

X51 996 said:
Hi,

A couple of things:

Design 911 incorrectly list the M030 mounts as being different to the regular ones, AFAIK they're the same - certainly Porsche don't list them in that way on the web catalogue/PET, it's only the X73/74 mounts that are different. You don't get them in the M030 kits either...!

And I think it's X74 for a C2, yours being a C4S (4wd) would be X73(?)

I looked into this on the C2 top mountings and the only difference I can see between the X74 and regular/M030 ones is that they offset the captive threads on the mount where it attaches to the body by a few mm to allow for full range of camber adjustment for the lowered chassis height. There's quite a tolerance on the slotted adjuster (ie the strut tower) anyway so probably unnecessary in most cases in order to set the correct camber position. If anything standard mounts on a lowered car would allow you to dial in a greater amount of negative camber which is often popular with more aggressive geo setups.

The original part is made by Sachs/Lemforder (same company) so save yourself the Porsche tax and buy direct IMHO :thumbs:

Regarding your suspension options, choose carefully. Whilst it may be popular to upgrade to ever more track focussed suspension do have a reality check with yourself first. What are the roads like where you live (speed humps, potholes etc!), and what sort of use will the car get? Sunday pub lunches and evenings out with the missus might be spoiled otherwise!

I've got the X74 suspension on mine and whilst the car handles like a go-kart I have to say around town and on rough roads it's pretty harsh - you feel every cats eye, drain cover and join in road surface. For smooth A-roads and motorways it's fine but there is a trade off - otherwise Porsche would have specified a lower ride height and stiffer setup for all of the 996 models.

Maybe see if you can have a ride out in another car with a suspension kit similar to what you're considering to help you decide 8)

Perfect, thank you....that's really what I needed to hear. I have found a pair of Sachs standard top mounts for £75 on the bay so will go with those.

I couldn't understand why Design911 advertised the M030 mounts as different.

I'm not too fussed about coilovers....PSS10's are obviously a quality product, but I just wouldn't benefit from them. The car is a weekend toy when I get a spare day and that's not often lately! I wanted to lower the car subtlety, and H&R seem a little low. The RUF springs look the perfect ride height from googling images. I've had a fair few lowered cars in previous years and realise it will firmer, but hopefully not chalk and cheese compared to stock. I think the Bilstein B8's would be the best suited as I'm sure I read B6 dampers are for stock ride height where as B8 are slightly shorter. 👍🏻

BChivs said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-SACHS-STRUT-TOP-MOUNT-FRONT-PORSCHE-911-996-97-05-911-997-04/371468281320?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Those are for C2s, you have 4WD (C4S) :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back