Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996tt to 997.1 GT3 - finally gone and done it!

Diggermeister

As a few of you may well know, I've been carefully deliberating (read faffing, procrastinating and generally dithering) the switch from 996tt to "a GT3" for some time now. Well, I've finally gone and done it. The finance company are proud owners of a very nice, low mileage 997.1 GT3 Club Sport and have allowed me to rent a seat in it. Collected yesterday.

dhTMJPAe.jpg

Much as I will miss my 996tt - I was very attached to that car - I'm absolutely thrilled by the replacement. The GT3 is everything I'd hoped for and, probably, a bit more again. It's a keeper.

The only thing I need to attend to, before booking a few track days next year, are the brakes; currently on OEM PCCBs, and I know I will be eating bread and dripping in a house warmed only by the pilot light on the boiler if I try to track them. So what's the verdict; do I swap for Alcon steel discs or go for some non-OEM Surface Transform ones?

HSC911 said:
:worship:

:envy:
Thanks. It's just about the cheapest car in shot too! Both the Carrera GT and the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 (just out of shot) were, apparently, also sold awaiting collection.

nice work fella and congrats.

JZM have some amazing cars and great stock there.

I am thinking about maybe going to a 997 GT3 from my 996GT3 but need to test drive a few to see if there is enough difference.

certainly from a 996TT to a 7.1 GT3 is going to be big change and lots of thrills and high revving fun.

Looks like a good move to me. Well done!

What are your initial thoughts on the general road driving compared to the turbo?

I would assume its louder, raw and steers like it's on rails??

Does the GT3 have the same umph?

From my reading, you have to wring a GT3's neck to get to similar power levels as the turbo?

Is this the case?

Would be really interesting to hear your thoughts?

:thumb:

jotaking said:
What are your initial thoughts on the general road driving compared to the turbo?
On the road, the turbo does a lot of things, incredibly well. Despite what many people might say, for many, it would be more than enough car on track too. It's pretty competent and confidence inspiring, if lacking the steering feedback and precision of a 2WD chassis.

jotaking said:
I would assume its louder, raw and steers like it's on rails??
Yes louder, and yes, much, much sharper on the handling. Like the difference between ice cream and sorbet different in that regard.

The GT3 'lives' at higher rev-ranges and it really does need to be kept busy, whereas the turbos do a very good job at conning you into thinking you're driving something with a much larger cubic capacity.

If you keep the GT3 in the right bit of the rev range, there's actually not quite as much in it, but it does lack the brutality of the turbo's thrust.

:thumbs: Marcus

Looking forward to hearing of your adventures next year. I'm guessing a Ring trip is calling. :thumb:

I made the same move a while back.
You will soon forget the lazy roll on performance of a turbo as for me it get's usurped in every other area by a GT3.

T8 said:

Looking forward to hearing of your adventures next year. I'm guessing a Ring trip is calling. :thumb:
Thanks Terry. Yes, waiting for 2018 DN dates. Just need to get discs sorted, otherwise I will be bankrupt by my third trackday!

kas750 said:
You will soon forget the lazy roll on performance of a turbo as for me it get's usurped in every other area by a GT3.
Amazed how, in one day, I've managed to get quite as acclimatised to the difference in engine and also braking.

Tell me, how on earth are you supposed to not drive with the sport button engaged? That noise!!!

Diggermeister said:
T8 said:

Thanks Terry. Yes, waiting for 2018 DN dates. Just need to get discs sorted, otherwise I will be bankrupt by my third trackday!

kas750 said:
Amazed how, in one day, I've managed to get quite as acclimatised to the difference in engine and also braking.

Tell me, how on earth are you supposed to not drive with the sport button engaged? That noise!!!

Wait till you fit a Sharkwerks centre muffler bypass.
Then you'll be cooking with gas! :grin: :thumbs:

kas750 said:
Diggermeister said:
T8 said:

kas750 said:

Wait till you fit a Sharkwerks centre muffler bypass.
Then you'll be cooking with gas! :grin: :thumbs:

Either this....or convince the finance company that the fitment of a full Akra system is a necessity :thumb:

Nice guys at JZM, did you PX the turbo??

m119cars said:
Yes, fortunately there are still good dealers out there and JZM are definitely among them. Reluctantly, I decided to p/ex the turbo to get the GT3. I will miss it.

Diggermeister said:
m119cars said:
Yes, fortunately there are still good dealers out there and JZM are definitely among them. Reluctantly, I decided to p/ex the turbo to get the GT3. I will miss it.

I'm a bit of a regular looker on their website and remember looking at yours a few times thinking how well the black wheels looked with the yellow calipers.

Was over there for there coffee morning recently and didn't see your car in the showroom.

Congratulations, fantastic car, looks great, more pics please :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back