Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Sport Plug and Play PASM upgrade

every post moves it further up my xmas list lol. :thumb:

I still can't make my mind up between this and Ohlins? I currently have Eibach springs and H&R rollbars. I like the idea of Ohlins as I can adjust the heights further and they should have a consistent feel as they are passive so I will know exactly how the car will respond under different cornering situations. Also it means 4 new shocks whereas if I go DSC I'm still using my original 60k mile shocks. However my car is a daily driver that does a few long road trips, (Alps, Scotland etc) and about 4 trackdays a year and I might find Ohlins a bit overkill for day to day? I like the idea of the DSC and still having the choice of soft or firm at the touch of a button plus I think DSC will be the better daily option. However I can get a good price for the Ohlins too so the difference between them and DSC + 3Axis sensor is only about £400.

I really need a passenger ride in a 997 gen1 with Ohlins and one with DSC to help me decide :?:

I guess like a lot of people I don't use the hard setting as its awful on our roads.
Sounds like a very worthwhile upgrade.

My first impressions are good...

my daughter said it is much more comfy in the car when on soft but it doesnt get much less comfy when on hard.

turn in is much sharper and the car just feels less understeery but i have to say i never really felt that it was understeery before; its just sharper now.

speedbumps in town on soft were like cotton wool. that was a big surprise.

and on a local private road where there is an uphill right, left, right, left spread over about 300-400m i was able to carry more speed with more confidence and only use 1/2 of the road in the process - not that it had white lines 'cos its a private road ;-)

i need to drive it more and on different roads to really get a feel for it.

Since the module was fitted I find the hard setting on my Gen 1 turbo fine to use on the UK roads which was not the case before.

krispe said:
I still can't make my mind up between this and Ohlins? I currently have Eibach springs and H&R rollbars. I like the idea of Ohlins as I can adjust the heights further and they should have a consistent feel as they are passive so I will know exactly how the car will respond under different cornering situations. Also it means 4 new shocks whereas if I go DSC I'm still using my original 60k mile shocks. However my car is a daily driver that does a few long road trips, (Alps, Scotland etc) and about 4 trackdays a year and I might find Ohlins a bit overkill for day to day? I like the idea of the DSC and still having the choice of soft or firm at the touch of a button plus I think DSC will be the better daily option. However I can get a good price for the Ohlins too so the difference between them and DSC + 3Axis sensor is only about £400.

I really need a passenger ride in a 997 gen1 with Ohlins and one with DSC to help me decide :?:

I would say that the Ohlins R&T are definitely not overkill for the day to day.

I may not have them on the 997 (it only has 45,000km), but I just swapped out the Bilstein B14s for Ohlins on my other car, which is used daily but was mostly modified for the track. The Ohlins are a big improvement on the road, as they allow the car to flow down a country road and handle the cobble stones/tram lines/road works in the city. The B14s were really fantastic on the track, but seriously compromised for the day-to-day. It was like driving around in Sport+ all the time. The ride feels much more natural now, but I've yet to drive the Ohlins equipped car on the track. I've a feeling, if nothing else, it should be able to take the kerbs pretty well...

As to the 997, I didn't see the point of swapping out the very clever active suspension when I could quickly and easily improve the active suspension with a software upgrade. The 997 is now much improved in both soft and hard modes, as it reacts so much faster in the day to day soft mode, and still takes that very hard edge off the Sport+ mode. It's almost spooky.

Now if only someone would sell a software upgrade for the PDK box...

krispe said:

Struggling to see how you only get to £400 difference ? DSC + 3x fitted is about £1500. Fitting Ohlins is going to be the best part of £1100 including vat assuming you don't need any other parts and then you have the Ohlins on top?

One of the main benefits of the DSC is the price difference over the like of Ohlins.

In terms of driving, I have done both. Ohlins will give you more adjustment if you are into track days etc, but for mostly road usage, the DSC is all you need.

Ken

MaxA said:
Now if only someone would sell a software upgrade for the PDK box...

What do you want to improve in the PDK?

rabbitstew said:
The DSC unit was the first thing I added to my 997 turbo, literally days after buying the car, as I just found the car un-driveable on my local roads. Ridiculously bouncy in normal mode and rock solid in sport......

You bought a car that was un-driveable on UK roads? Did you test drive it? :?

In its day, a 997 Turbo was praised for its on road manners and I must say that I never really had any issues with the damping. I bought the DSC module to bring the PASM a bit more up to date and to be able to drive it in the firm setting on the road.

Martian said:
rabbitstew said:
The DSC unit was the first thing I added to my 997 turbo, literally days after buying the car, as I just found the car un-driveable on my local roads. Ridiculously bouncy in normal mode and rock solid in sport......

You bought a car that was un-driveable on UK roads? Did you test drive it? :?

In its day, a 997 Turbo was praised for its on road manners and I must say that I never really had any issues with the damping. I bought the DSC module to bring the PASM a bit more up to date and to be able to drive it in the firm setting on the road.

Yep, the test drive was quite short and it was only in the days afterwards when I started getting used to the car and pushing it more I found that I just didnt like the handling and I honestly wondered if I had made a (very costly) mistake in buying the car.

I came from driving an BMW M-Sport suspension car for the previous 4 years, so it might have been that I was just used to much firmer suspension. But, on my local B road, its quite bumpy in places and I found the turbo just bounced along, much like a container ship on bouncy choppy seas. You would floor it and the front of the car would fly up like it was a see-saw. Its the only turbo i drove, so i dont know if all are like that, but from what research I did online, its apparently "normal". The DSC box completely fixed it.

rabbitstew said:
....I found the turbo just bounced along, much like a container ship on bouncy choppy seas. You would floor it and the front of the car would fly up like it was a see-saw. Its the only turbo i drove, so i dont know if all are like that, but from what research I did online, its apparently "normal".....

That's not normal. I drove a few before buying mine 8.5 years ago and have never experienced choppy/see-saw damping. Maybe you have worn shocks/bushes and now the DSC module is compensating for it.

Even Clarkson, the serial 911 hater, praised the 997 Turbo's handling/suspension at its inception.

996ttalot said:
Struggling to see how you only get to £400 difference ? DSC + 3x fitted is about £1500. Fitting Ohlins is going to be the best part of £1100 including vat assuming you don't need any other parts and then you have the Ohlins on top?

One of the main benefits of the DSC is the price difference over the like of Ohlins.

In terms of driving, I have done both. Ohlins will give you more adjustment if you are into track days etc, but for mostly road usage, the DSC is all you need.

Ken

The £400 difference was just on the initial purchase price and was only applicable to me due to personal business purchase options :wink: . I hadn't included fitting of the ohlins but again it will work out a lot less than £1100 for me. I would also then have the benefit new shocks and springs all round and would then probably also re-sell my Eibach springs. The issue with just going DSC is I'm still running around on 60k mile shocks which may need replacement (or service) at some point in the near future which then also adds further costs.

I am really interested in your driving opinions Ken as that's really what I'm after as not many have driven both. I love the idea of a new set of Ohlins on my car as have read so many good reviews, but only if my 'daily driving' isn't compromised. However I quite like the way my car handles now most of the time. It's just 'Normal' is a bit too soft (body roll and dive) for 'pressing on' sometimes, and 'Sport' too bouncy (for the road). I guess DSC would be the best option to try first as I'm pretty sure I could re-sell it on here pretty quickly if I then decide I still want Ohlins. I do like being able to have a 'great' road setting and track setting at the touch of a button.

Best money you can spend on a 911 with PASM, qualifies as a no brainer. Took mine out after a couple of months to drive to the OPC for a 111 point check and the difference even in normal mode is so pronounced. Rarely use sport on the road with the DSC fitted as normal is so good but it transforms the car at the track.

FredGT3 said:
Errrmmm for the chap above, PDK upgrade not too hard to find.

Look up Cobb

https://www.cobbtuning.com/accessport-tuning-for-porsche-pdk-transmissions/

997 expected now ish

I hadn't heard of that before so thanks for the heads up. Not available for mine just yet but coming soon it appears but I'd wait until my warranty expires before doing that kind of mod.
At least the DSC box can be unplugged and reverted to stock in five minutes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back