Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 996 this week......?

Being on the taller side I've thought about those a few times - I do (having no roof) quite like the heating element in my current seats though.

I was in the same position and had all but decided on Pole Positions but then took a punt on a used set of these.

To date they have been excellent, i track, and the support is good even without a harness, mine have the Alcantara centres that match my head lining and cup wheel.

I found a thread/post on pistonheads about the seats where one of the self proclaimed forum experts was slating them based on nothing more than his own perception, he was then schooled by another member who had taken the time to x-ray them and confirmed the carbon quality was actually good.

Evenin' D,
Yes I imagine roof down, heated seat drives are nice on crisp mornings.
It all depends what direction you're taking the project.

After suspension, which I think it's fair to say you have covered :wink: , seats are probably the biggest thing to alter the feel of the car, transforming it from a comfy, one size fits all driving experience to a much more focussed one.

I've no intention to fit a cage mind. Total pain in the arse for road use and the tequipment one only serves as something to mount your harnesss on, which I won't need as I won't be tracking mine.

You can enjoy the massive change seats make driving on road or track though so it's a no brainer for me.

Hi Crash,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I read that very thread yesterday when deciding whether to go ahead or not. :grin:

If I'd arrived at time of purchase next year and both were new hence full price it would be a hard choice but at £750 for the pair I've got nothing to lose.

Pros for Pole positions -

Recognised brand with proper testing and certification (although not for road use, you need SPGs for that).
Original Porsche supplier.
Smaller around top area so less claustrophobic maybe.

Cons for PPs -

Older era than 996s
Harness slots too low for most people if that's important.
Plain black backs aren't as decorative.

Pros for D911 ones -

996 era shape as I've said.
Sold by an outlet that I doubt would leave themselves open to huge lawsuits.
Carbon fibre backs are lovely.

Cons for D911 ones-

Bit of an unknown regarding TUV or testing.
Larger around top area so a bit more claustrophobic.

Maybe claustrophobic is a bit strong but they make the cabin feel a bit more confined. A cage even more so...

Marky911 said:
Evenin' D,
Yes I imagine roof down, heated seat drives are nice on crisp mornings.
It all depends what direction you're taking the project.

After suspension, which I think it's fair to say you have covered :wink: , seats are probably the biggest thing to alter the feel of the car, transforming it from a comfy, one size fits all driving experience to a much more focussed one.

I've no intention to fit a cage mind. Total pain in the arse for road use and the tequipment one only serves as something to mount your harnesss on, which I won't need as I won't be tracking mine.

You can enjoy the massive change seats make driving on road or track though so it's a no brainer for me.

I have to say that I really like the idea of the new GT3 Touring, that's kind of what I'm going for with mine- albeit with no roof.

Your thinking process was exactly the same as mine. - I paid about the same for my pair.

I find standard sports seats narrow across the shoulders but there is no issue with these, however they are narrow around the hips. The seating position is more focused, read upright, and you sit a little lower than on the standard seats.

Rear access is all but impossible so you can in theory remove the rear seats and save 10 plus kg's - I did but each to their own

Quality on the materials is ok, grain on the leather is more prominent than on the OEM seats but it's not bad by any means and works with the dash & door cards, if you have the extended leather, the carbon looks good.

Hope they work out for you.

Seeing as my car is for the road, I've gone for a full set of B8's with H&R Springs. This should get me about 20mm lower on the 18's and still fill the arches. I have 19's on at the moment and I like the way they fill the arches.

12421710081541122b.jpg

It's proving to be a bit of a ***** to fit though !

Front and rear B8s have arrived. Going on with H&R springs.

Attachments

• img_20171013_wa0038_149.jpg
    img_20171013_wa0038_149.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 4,246
  • img_20171013_wa0030_112.jpg
    img_20171013_wa0030_112.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 4,246
Mot d the car with no advisories 😊😊 but only managed 2700 miles this year☹️☹️

Daniel said:
Like that...

cost?

A bit over £500, plus nearly three days of my life fitting it ! I'll pay someone else to do it next time.

Cage is by Safety Devices, and I ordered through GSM Performance who were excellent to deal with. It's not listed on their website so you'll need to drop them a line. Garreth was the main chap I dealt with.

Top gear silencers and 200 cell cats arrived yesterday - very pleased and looking forward to finally getting them fitted.

Nothing, again. Except for some 97Ron and then driven it, a lot....

Osh :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back