Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paying for the car.....

blackram

Turns out that you can only transfer a max of £20k on instant transfer from your bank in a day. I was going to take the seller to a branch of my bank and do the transfer - he will see it online on his phone once made, job done.
Question is how have others done this? Many cars bought privately by other forum members must have been over £20k....what did you do.

I can do a CHAPS payment but although that is guaranteed same day, it does mean possibly a few hours of sitting around not letting the seller and his keys out of my sight? Any ideas would be great please?

bought mine with my debit card using chip and pin, went straight through, no security checks or anything!!!!! :eek:

Aah! Sorry forgot to say that this is a private purchase so can't use debit card.

I went to the seller bank and did a transfer in front of him took minutes :thumb:

If you have more than one account I think the £20k faster payments limit is per account.

As discussed before the payment is actually make a payment of a token amount (can be pennies) to establish the payment details between accounts and the recipient can confirm they have received £0.74p for example.

[/quote]I went to the seller bank and did a transfer in front of him took minutes
Was it a CHAPS payment which just happened to be quick that day or was it under £20k?
As discussed before the payment is actually make a payment of a token amount (can be pennies) to establish the payment details between accounts and the recipient can confirm they have received £0.74p for example.
Sorry not quite sure what you mean here?

The type of payment you are referrring to is a "faster payment". The problem is banks have different limits even between online and face to face transactions e.g. Santander the limit is £100k but nationwide is £10k. Most are £20k though (the real limit is actually £250k).

Its worth speaking to your own bank as they may allow multiple payments same day or for a higher limit if pre arranged at a set branch with proof of ID (passport).

Failing that its CHAPS which is same day but as you say you will probably have to wait longer for it to clear and they will charge you £25-£30 for the pleaseure :roll:

[/quote]As discussed before the payment is actually make a payment of a token amount (can be pennies) to establish the payment details between accounts and the recipient can confirm they have received £0.74p for example.
Sorry not quite sure what you mean here?

If you want to pay say £30,000 to somebody - and you are limited to £20k faster payment limit you will be able to pay £15000 from two accounts to achieve this (assuming you have more than one account).

For each account you are making a transfer from in order to make sure you are paying into the correct account and to speed up the payments, pay a nominal amount into the target account and get the person who will recieve the money confirm they have recieved the cash amount you sent. That has 2 advanatges, it makes sure you are paying into the correct account, and secondly once you have made a payment into an account using faster payments the more likely it is the subsequent payment is to go through quickly and smoothly without any intervention.

Thanks guys. I understand now. They really don't make it easy but I guess we should be grateful that they are being more secure with our money.

Depending on your bank and relationship with them, they may authorise a one off payment of a larger amount, especially if the funds have been sitting there for a few days. Have done this before.

blackram said:
Turns out that you can only transfer a max of £20k on instant transfer from your bank in a day. I was going to take the seller to a branch of my bank and do the transfer - he will see it online on his phone once made, job done.
Question is how have others done this? Many cars bought privately by other forum members must have been over £20k....what did you do.
On selling my 911 recently, I also had to endure two payments as the buyers' limit was the same £20k as you speak about. Hopefully, some solutions quoted above have assisted you.

~ Maxie :thumbs:

blackram said:
Thanks guys. I understand now. They really don't make it easy but I guess we should be grateful that they are being more secure with our money.

Its all about Anti Terrorism, er sorry money laundering. Be prepared to justify how you came to be in possession of enough money to buy a porsche :roll:

Then they may ask you :

- "how do you know the account you are paying into is correct ?"

- "erm he is stood next to me"

- " blah blah blah accepts no responsibility if the account proves fraudulent"

- "well yeh, I kind of figured that, but thanks for wasting another 20 seconds of my life"

As you can guess I deal with banks a lot :frustrated:

I had to spread the payment for my 997 turbo over 3 separate bank transfers. Luckily the seller was understanding.

Banks do seem to have various different limits and change them. Im with Lloyds and a few years back the daily limit was 30k. Now its 20k or 25k (cant remember which).

Happily the seller banks with the same bank as I do and my banking manager will transfer the full amount in one go on the day and it will be instant. So no need to go to the bank. So much easier than sitting around waiting for a CHAPS payment to go through.
12 days to go.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back