Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air con pump - best source for replacement

coullstar

Noticed a rattle from the engine last night and sourced it to a loose air con pump clutch assembly (the inner part is very loose).

With air con on its doesn't rattle but looks like new pump etc will be needed so where is best to source these from?

Don't need aircon for the moment so Ive switched off which Im assuming will be fine.

I bought a new pump, drier and O rings from autoairconparts.co.uk for £178.68.

Fitting the pump is not easy, I suspect you really need to drop the engine a bit to access the back bolt, I gave up and paid 9e to do it!

You may be able to just replace the clutch and that would be much easier.

Its not very hard to change the compressor, just a little fiddly. You don't need to drop the engine. You can't see that rear bolt but a socket with a wobble will get on it.

See my guide here:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=93945&highlight=

You need to get the system vacuumed out first, its an offence to knowingly release these gasses into the atmosphere.

Will be worth changing the drier if the system has been open to atmosphere for any length of time.

wasz said:
Its not very hard to change the compressor, just a little fiddly. You don't need to drop the engine. You can't see that rear bolt but a socket with a wobble will get on it.

Wish I'd seen your post before I tried it, mind I didn't have a wobble bar (I have now) and yes, getting the gas removed first is essential.

ELA has removed all of his aircon system and it was for sale. Worth a pm to him if you're happy to fit a used pump

Is the main part of the pulley that the belt runs on retained by a circlip and not the 10mm bolt?

Reason Im asking is that the centre part of the clutch is so loose, as all the rubber has melted, and it is very noisy rattling now and is making the whole pulley vibrate so if I can Id like to remove the loose part yet still drive the car.

Replacement pump and pulley is coming.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back