Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hard to get a test drive

daz parker said:
My opinion is yes I would like to drive the car and take along fully comprehensive Insurance paperwork but if it's trade they should have a policy (failing that I have trade plates I could take)

I want to drive if possible to feel if there are any knocks or vibrations transfered through the steering wheel from braking, acceleration or cornering. Yes you can fell some of this when sat in the passenger side but the best seat is the drivers imo.

For me personally on buying a 911 I'd like to drive one as I've never drove one. I want to make sure I fit ok in the seats and it's what I've dreamed it to be. Not a fancy beetle as all my mates keep telling me.

I've sold two cars and one motorbike this week (not a trader just having a clear out), one bought one car no test drive but a cheap motor, other bought my shoe van without a test drive but I took him for a drive for 30 mins plus one day then picked him up from railway station which is another 30 mins drive. The guy who bought the ktm 300 wanted to ride it, this is an off road bike but was ok with a road test ride.

So yes everybody has a drifferent idea of a test drive but when I'm spending my money I want to drive it.

the other option is buy private, i bought my current 997.2 private - nice bloke and a good test drive

ash .

ash005 said:
daz parker said:
My opinion is yes I would like to drive the car and take along fully comprehensive Insurance paperwork but if it's trade they should have a policy (failing that I have trade plates I could take)

I want to drive if possible to feel if there are any knocks or vibrations transfered through the steering wheel from braking, acceleration or cornering. Yes you can fell some of this when sat in the passenger side but the best seat is the drivers imo.

For me personally on buying a 911 I'd like to drive one as I've never drove one. I want to make sure I fit ok in the seats and it's what I've dreamed it to be. Not a fancy beetle as all my mates keep telling me.

I've sold two cars and one motorbike this week (not a trader just having a clear out), one bought one car no test drive but a cheap motor, other bought my shoe van without a test drive but I took him for a drive for 30 mins plus one day then picked him up from railway station which is another 30 mins drive. The guy who bought the ktm 300 wanted to ride it, this is an off road bike but was ok with a road test ride.

So yes everybody has a drifferent idea of a test drive but when I'm spending my money I want to drive it.

the other option is buy private, i bought my current 997.2 private - nice bloke and a good test drive

ash .

TBH ash I am leaning towards that as I think even buying off an Indy it's not a bad idea to have another independent person check over the car for me. So if I'm doing that then why pay the extra premium for buying from an Indy.

Yes I'm sure some will say a certain Indy is 100% trustworthy but I've worked all the hours to get the cash so I'd like to be certain it's right.

I don't buy a car without test-driving it.
I don't buy a house without walking around it.
I don't buy a guitar without playing it first.
I don't buy jeans or shoes without trying them on.

The 'no test drive' dealer attitude sucks and I now look forward to a verbal forecourt battle while they are trying to usher me into their office to 'do the paperwork' before I've even driven their car.

When I bought a Porsche from Paragon (Probably the Best Dealer in The World) I went there for a 997.

I was handed the keys and told to take my time and go off for a drive. On the drive, I found the suspension way too hard. The salesman agreed that with 19" wheels and no PASM, the ride was on the firm side and not the car for me.

So he gave me a 996 and off I went. I didn't get on with the Tip box for some reason. Can't remember.

Then I tried a 993 and everything fell into place. I drove for about 20 minutes on my own. Returned to base, bought the car, but only when I had convinced the salesman that it was the model for me.

So without a test drive I would have made the wrong purchase and been stuck with a bumpy 997 that I was pressured into buying.

I've never sold a car either without insisting the potential buyer has a test drive.

The whole idea is mad, unless you've tried the exact model previously at another dealer or friend and know exactly what you want.

From a dealer when attempting to buy a Cayman:

Me: The car looks great, can we take it down the road please.
Him: The car is fully prepped and wants for nothing, you won't find anything wrong with our cars , so we don't do test drives I'm afraid.
Me: What if I don't like the clutch/gearbox/suspension, the way it drives etc?
Him: Go to a Main dealer and try out the model you want, use their petrol, and then come back to us.

So of course I went elsewhere and the polite and accommodating Ashgood Porsche got my dosh. (After a 20 minute test drive, of course).

daz parker said:
I was told today that the larger ims was fitted from Feb 2005 I contested it but told again it's Feb 2005.

Daz here is the definitive info so you can be armed and not get BS from the seller as you can clearly see some late 05 were done and all post march 06 cars were done , but heres the engine numbers so hang on to it as its the no BS info you need .

Last IMS revision before no IMS (Gen2 MA1 block):

997 Carrera 3.6 with engine numbers from M96/0569507475 are the new IMS design.

M96/05 = 997 3.6 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
9 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
07475 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

997 Carrera S 3.8 with engine numbers from M97/0168509790 are the new IMS design.

M97/01 = 997 3.8 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
8 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
09790 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

Kimbo said:

The 'no test drive' dealer attitude sucks and I now look forward to a verbal forecourt battle while they are trying to usher me into their office to 'do the paperwork' before I've even driven their car.

When I bought a Porsche from Paragon (Probably the Best Dealer in The World) I went there for a 997.

I was handed the keys and told to take my time and go off for a drive. On the drive, I found the suspension way too hard. The salesman agreed that with 19" wheels and no PASM, the ride was on the firm side and not the car for me.

So he gave me a 996 and off I went. I didn't get on with the Tip box for some reason. Can't remember.

Then I tried a 993 and everything fell into place. I drove for about 20 minutes on my own. Returned to base, bought the car, but only when I had convinced the salesman that it was the model for me.

So without a test drive I would have made the wrong purchase and been stuck with a bumpy 997 that I was pressured into buying.

I've never sold a car either without insisting the potential buyer has a test drive.

The whole idea is mad, unless you've tried the exact model previously at another dealer or friend and know exactly what you want.

Him: The car is fully prepped and wants for nothing, you won't find anything wrong with our cars , so we don't do test drives I'm afraid.
Him: Go to a Main dealer and try out the model you want, use their petrol, and then come back to us.

So of course I went elsewhere and the polite and accommodating Ashgood Porsche got my dosh. (After a 20 minute test drive, of course).

:floor: :floor: I never married any of my wives without a test drive first , imagine finding you have just married a ladyboy or a tranny half way through the ops. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
:floor: :floor: I never married any of my wives without a test drive first , imagine finding you have just married a ladyboy or a tranny half way through the ops. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Phil 997 said:
I never married any of my wives without a test drive first , imagine finding you have just married a ladyboy or a tranny half way through the ops.

Exactly

"Shall we go and do the paperwork, nice English man?"
"No. I want to see if you've got the remains of a knob under there".

The rule still applies.

Phil did you ever test drive a lady boy :grin: ?

You guys have just stepped up another level in my respect for you!!

I wasn't sure I'd fit in here but I like your humour.....

Daz you will be fine just keep away from that nasty Phillip :floor:

This is the high priority information I need more than buying advice ha ha

mzmini said:
Daz you will be fine just keep away from that nasty Phillip :floor:

:floor: :floor: :floor: Chris just don't mention Lederhosen to Daz other wise he definitely won't join us on the run to Dinslaken 2018 :floor:

mzmini said:
Phil did you ever test drive a lady boy :grin: ?

Chris, Wasnt it you that told me " what happens in Thailand stays in Thailand" :floor: Apart from the 6 week antibiotic course :floor: :floor: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Kimbo said:

I've e never met phill but I just knew this was his post without seeing his advertar 😂😎😎😎😂😂😂

:floor: :floor: :grin: :thumb: on that subject I am going to Dinslaken next year as it was such a laugh this year , are you up for it a few of the guys from ooop norf came across from Harrogate and us carrot crunchers took the tunnel and we all met in Germany :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back