Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 9
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

blackram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: First Porsche ! Reply with quote

I am shortly going to look at a gen 1 991 CS which will be my first Porsche! Very excited but also very apprehensive. As you know, there aren't many around and I have been looking for a few months now so when one pops up that is my perfect spec it is very tempting to grab with both hands! However, it is a private purchase so treading carefully. The car has OPC warranty that runs out early next year. What risk is there for me because clearly the major parts will be covered as I will be renewing the warranty? How long realistically can I expect the clutch to last from new on an 'average' 991CS2? I am not concerned about incidentals such as brakes and tyres but what else should I be considering (apart from the usual car buying issues such as HPI, etc)? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to 911uk

Clutch life will always depend upon type of use so I doubt that you'll get any definitive answer to your question - especially as there's not may manual cars around and not many will have done the mileage to have needed a clutch yet.

The OPC warranty will cover you for any parts (large and small) that fail due to manufacturing issues and should allow you complete peace of mind.

Have a good read of the 991 sub-forum but I'm not aware of any particular issues that relate to this model.

Good Luck - and don't forget to post some pics when you've pick your car up. thumbsup
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

blackram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks T8. The car has PDK if that makes any difference? I will certainly be posting pics if I buy it....let's be half full....when I buy it! Very excited - have spent half an hour on the phone with the local OPC - very helpful guy in the service department - explaining whe is goin gto be required in the next few months re servicing etc. so I know what i'm in for.....hopefully!
Early nights now Sleepy Happy as I won't get much sleep next week before seeing it Laughing

G2
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. You don't mention the year so general points..

They are great well made cars....

Quick points that the service guy may have covered-
4 year service may be due which includes new plugs, belt inspection and new can of tyre sealant (budget £1400 I think)
Battery likely to go at circa 5 years as a lot do. Same with tyre pressure sensors. Regard all as consumables.
Warranty is tied to the car and can transfer to you no issue., it needs a 111point £250 inspection to extend so (ask the private seller to run it through and extend one or two years as part of the sale if you can). Soft benefit is it gets a high level check at the OPC).
The above is not a full inspection/history check, up to you if you go the extra on this as the cars are high value.

No major problems as T8 said, but a couple of things that may go (all covered under warranty) fuel flap catch, brake peddle bush goes stiff, water solenoid in engine throw up faults that are easily sorted at opc).

Always worth a call to service guys at whichever opc supplied or last serviced the car to ask what work carried out. They won't give full details but most will give you the highlights.

PDK reduces the risk of a mechanically unsympathetic use of the clutch, but does not remove the risk of a numpty driver completely, only inspection can tell you what the real wear is.

If you do purchase privately and the tracker is active, ask for the password for the tracker the account or you won't be able to transfer it quickly.

Good luck with the purchase..what colour is it?

blackram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks G2.
I am going to see the car in a few days' time. Is there any sense in getting the seller to put the car through the 111pt test at his local OPC? It has OPC warranty until the end of the year but will need a test prior to renewing the warranty. I am worried that I will put it through the text in a week or two only to find that it needs loads doing ! At least if he puts it through the test and I pay him for the test if it passes, then at least I stand a better chance of it passing when I have it done under my ownership (particularly if I have it done by the same OPC)? Make sense?

Stephen603
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First Porsche ! Reply with quote

blackram wrote:
I am shortly going to look at a gen 1 991 CS which will be my first Porsche! Very excited but also very apprehensive. As you know, there aren't many around and I have been looking for a few months now so when one pops up that is my perfect spec it is very tempting to grab with both hands! However, it is a private purchase so treading carefully. The car has OPC warranty that runs out early next year. What risk is there for me because clearly the major parts will be covered as I will be renewing the warranty? How long realistically can I expect the clutch to last from new on an 'average' 991CS2? I am not concerned about incidentals such as brakes and tyres but what else should I be considering (apart from the usual car buying issues such as HPI, etc)? I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Congrats mate 991 is a very gd looking car.. I had a look at them too but have settles for a 997 C2 which is also very nice... Happy motoring bye

Please check out my pick up video Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Buq9_kPJE

I'm sure you know how it feels on the day of the pick up...

G2
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackram wrote:
Thanks G2.
I am going to see the car in a few days' time. Is there any sense in getting the seller to put the car through the 111pt test at his local OPC? It has OPC warranty until the end of the year but will need a test prior to renewing the warranty. I am worried that I will put it through the text in a week or two only to find that it needs loads doing ! At least if he puts it through the test and I pay him for the test if it passes, then at least I stand a better chance of it passing when I have it done under my ownership (particularly if I have it done by the same OPC)? Make sense?

It does, but my point was ask the seller to extend the warranty as part of the deal. Will they pay for 1 or two years ? The warranty stays with the car as long as it's not cancelled by the current owner. It may be worth more to you than haggling on price alone as its a good test of the car and seller...

Any OPC can be used for the inspection, so one local to the seller makes sense.

Again this is not a replacement for a full inspection, but it's one way of getting someone that knows the cars to look at it before you buy.

Others might know how long the 111 point inspection is valid, to be able to purchase the warranty afterwards, if the seller will not buy the additional years as part of the deal.

I know a few have used this type of approach on private deals..you would basically be agreeing a price subject to a 111 point inspection or a full inspection if you want to go that way.

Good luck with the viewing. Remember not to smile too much as its an obvious buying signal
Grin

blackram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed he’ll go for it! I will let you all know.

blackram

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now to be the proud owner of a 991 Carrera S Coupe in Agate Grey. I explained that I wanted the warranty extending for another two years and that if the seller had the 111-pt test done I would pay for the test and the 2yr warranty. The seller, being a really top bloke, said no problem and has booked it in already with his OPC.

I collect the car in a fortnight and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

I could not believe what a beautiful car the 991 is. So perfectly built and so comfortable. Felt very solid on the road. I'll stop there because I am preaching to the very well converted!
When I have the car here I will post photos and spec. plus photos of my garage. 911_AS and I are comparing notes on our garages as we go - he has completed his now and it looks great so I have some catching up to do.
Feels great to know I have the car coming. Shame not to have had it in time for the GB Owners Club track day at Castle Combe on 19th Oct. Watch this space for more car details as and when and again thanks for all the inputs to my various rambling posts. Much appreciated guys. thumbsup

G2
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Pictures ASAP please.

Re garage. If the sizing is tight, factor in some form of soft surface where the doors open if you can.

blackram

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get some upholstery foam rubber and mount it on the wall in the vulnerable areas. Any better suggestions would be welcomed please.

G2
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy rolls of guard rubber on eBay that will look much neater. Or something called park smart wall guard that comes in a few colours.

pierrebear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase!

blackram

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car passed its 111 point test today. Collecting it on Friday morning!! Photos and spec will follow. Perhaps I will get some sleep now Very Happy

G2
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumb

sideways
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackram wrote:
The car passed its 111 point test today. Collecting it on Friday morning!! Photos and spec will follow. Perhaps I will get some sleep now Very Happy

There is no way you are sleeping! I'm excited and it's not my car Smile

Longp2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, only one more sleepless night to go!

I have had my C2S since April and can tell you that you will not regret your purchase. My only issue is keeping the wife out of it while I'm on my overseas rota Very Happy

Looking forward to hearing about your first day of ownership

Last edited by Longp2 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

911_AS
Imola

2010 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackram wrote:

Fantastic stuff! We hope to see photos first thing Saturday morning. Thumb Thumb

Naturally Aspiring.

G2
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where has he gone? Question

Norfolk & Idea
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2 wrote:
Where has he gone? Question

For a drive no doubt. I was like a kiddie on Christmas eve when I picked mine up Smile
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: