Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997 owner (The beginning)

Geezer 911

Hi all,

At the grand old age of 38 my midlife crisis kicked in this summer and I decided to fulfil my childhood dream I brought 911.

Originally I was only considering early Gen1 911s as I couldn't justify it to myself to spend 30-50k on a car. After test driving a fully loaded Black Gen 2 CS PDK it didn't take long understand what all the fuss was about and I brought the car as soon as the test drive finished..

Just like all the enthusiasts on here I now have the bug and I cannot get enough of driving my car..

I know nothing about Porsches, you will be seeing me in the future posting possibly some silly questions which will help me understand my car better.

My first question is about cleaning the car? 8). I have cleaned my car with Auto Glym products (includes Resin Polish,Gloss and their wax). The car looks ok however I have seen some pictures of black cars on this forum and they look amazing. What is the secret to making these cars look even more amazing?

Geez
Congrats and welcome. As another newbie tried earlier this evening, questions may be asked but responses are held until pictures and spec are provided.
Twice in one day I get to use my fave emoji thing :useless: :useless: :useless:

having an absolute shocker, it is not letting upload any jpegs. I will be back soon.. not a good start :eek:

Geezer 911 said:
having an absolute shocker, it is not letting upload any jpegs. I will be back soon.. not a good start :eek:

Postimage easiest thing in the world :thumbs: congrats re the car, having had air Cooled and considering a 991 and various turbos I always come back to the 997.2 PDK, great choice!

Re the paint it's black and you need to be mega careful, depending on where you purchased it would generally of been prepped to remove stonechips scratches swirl marks and dents, usually with a staged machine polish. If not the only way to get it as it should be is with that process, your just hiding the swirls otherwise. Once done it's a careful washing process to maintain it especially on black, various coatings are now available to protect it.

Welcome to the forum!

Mines black, and i clean it lots... Sadly as has been said i cant tell you about it until pics are posted!

There are others on here who have very very clean lovely cars who gave me great advice.

Geezer 911 said:

:floor: :floor: Geez we have all been there keep the pics under 600 pixels as that's the site max , looking forward to seeing the pics. :thumb: cant share any detailing info until you get the pics sorted apparently its the LAW :grin: :grin:

If you get some pics up, Phil may even tell you the secret to having others on here detail your car for you!!! :lol:

cliffbase said:
If you get some pics up, Phil may even tell you the secret to having others on here detail your car for you!!! :lol:

:floor: :floor: Ah now that secret is only revealed after a min 50 posts and at least one 911uk get together attended :floor: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Geez we have all been there keep the pics under 600 pixels as that's the site max , looking forward to seeing the pics.

Come on Phil, 600 pixels... really? I think you meant 2MB :?:

Here's a pic of my car in 600 pixels :floor:

Attachments

• 911images_105.jpg
    911images_105.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 4,005
TonyC911 said:
Phil 997 said:
Geez we have all been there keep the pics under 600 pixels as that's the site max , looking forward to seeing the pics.

Come on Phil, 600 pixels... really? I think you meant 2MB :?:

Here's a pic of my car in 600 pixels :floor:

Tony your car looks great in that pic, now wheres my Labrador and white cane gone :floor: :floor: not sure what I meant but I find if I dont reduce the pix count to under 600 they come out upside down or not at all but my PC is steam driven lol :thumb: I am taking pics straight from my desktop page though and dont use any third party site to post them with.

Evening Geezer,
Welcome to the slippery slope of car cleaning! I had a black 981 Cayman S and I soon opted for a Modesta Ceramic coating. Money well spent.

I also cannot fault Zaino products, get some Z6 and you'll see what I mean.

EZ car care products are also a great buy.

Congrats on your new car.

The secret to getting a super deep wet shine is less about the products and more about the prep to be honest. Autoglym products are good enough quality, as are Meguires, Auto finesse etc. But the trick is in the prep.

If you can make sure you get your paint perfectly clean, so pre-clean, rinse, 2 bucket wash, decontammed (iron and tar), clayed, polished (machine polish if you can) before layering (several coats) of the LSP (wax or sealant).

Its a bit of work, but thats what it takes. If you have a few hundred quid spare, get a detailer to do it and then just take the time to maintain it properly afterwards.

Good luck.

What Carrera Monkey said, preparation is the key and then after all the hard work get into the habit of washing your car with care.
Black is hard work but get it right and it's very rewarding.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back