Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pros & Cons of Varioram and Non-Varioram engines

I haven't had my car remapped. I can see how driveability could be improved. Unless the standard engines make vastly more bhp than Porsche claim,
I can't see how a remap on any NA car finds the alleged 20bhp plus figure bandied around here. No other NA car I'm aware of can make a gain near that amount via a map.

Mine allegedly has 309bhp after a Wayne remap.

As per Highway's post, a bit hard to believe :dont know:

For me, the remap, particularly on Vario cars, is a great health-check that the Vario is all working as it should. Wayne seems to find a high percentage of cars where it's not.

Whether the reported results are accurate, who knows. Or perhaps the 285bhp factory reported outputs were understated back in the day.

Wayne always gives a Before & After chart, so even if the absolute numbers are not correct, the relative increase must be (I watched the figures come out of the machine, so he's not faking them).

EDIT-for some reason the word meaning to misrepresent rhyming with "making" is picked up as an expletive!

When we all did the group buy with Wayne a few years ago it was considered his dyno was reading 'a bit high' but as Tobes says it's the delta that's important - not forgetting driveability.

Well worth a visit in my opinion....

I too have had a Wayne re-map on my non-VR and the runs showed:

Before 282bhp@6631rpm

After 313bhp@6035rpm

Rather annoyingly his dyno printout operates differing scales on the graph for bhp and torque. As you know bhp is an expression of torque so when the graph is scaled correctly all power and torque curves cross at 5252 rpm for all engines and Wayne's doesn't.

Having said that the curves are way smoother which is replicted in the driving experience.

As for peak power, that's all smoke and mirrors in my view :hand:

I think Porsche underplayed the peak output for these engines so that none would read below the stated output. I would imagine that many delivered significantly more power than Porsche stated.

I've driven both, and on a purely personal level, I've always preferred a cammier engine which the non VR provides, it really picks its clogs up just after 4200 rpm which is quite addictive!
:grin:

Tobesetc said:
Wayne always gives a Before & After chart, so even if the absolute numbers are not correct, the relative increase must be (I watched the figures come out of the machine, so he's not ***** them).

EDIT-for some reason the word meaning to misrepresent rhyming with "making" is picked up as an expletive!

This and for clarity he actually does:

- pre map run to "check things out" ie everything is working OK
- remap
- then refits original chip / map and runs a full dyno test / readings
- then refits the remap chip and a full dyno test / readings

That ensures that the pre / post remap dynos are as close to same conditions as possible ie ambient and car temp.

Lots of remappers play around with ambient temps and compare cold pre map with warm post map dynos to give flattering results, Wayne ensures that can't happen ;-)

I've always said the increase in BHP is not really what its about, its a health check and much much much improved driveability ....... oh and did anyone mention the improved sound after remap :grin:

I would go as far as say that the real questioon should not be vario / none vario but Wayne remap v none wayne remap :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back