Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hard to get a test drive

mzmini said:
Hi OP take the nettle in the hand, phone up ask the right questions and ask do I need to book a test you will be surprised if they falter say well you don't expect me to spend this type of money on an untried car happy test drive ,dealers need to get bums on seats that's what leads to sales that just what an OPC did to me :thumbs:

Yeah I guess, I've just had the odd day off and had a ride out to some sports car dealerships.

I did however spend last night trying to find one I liked to go to today but it's deciding which spec I want or if just any as long as it's the 3.8 manual and the specs just a bonus.

daz parker said:
Phil 997 said:
Daz the one in the link has lots of nice bits theres no sport chrono but it has PSE , sports seats, bose, cruise. full extended leather onto the centre console again very expensive option the handbreak is a 1k porsche upgrade and the gearknob is a turbo one again expensive, and the round airbag thicker sports steering wheel . that alone tells me someone has cared about the car. Who ever speced the car from new wanted a comfortable cruiser based on the spec but wasnt interested in the sports option which would indicate an easy life in the early years. :thumb: which is often when they get abused as the first owner often has a 3 yr lease so kicks it hard then hands it back. this doesnt look like that type of speced car. :D

Wow you got a lot more out of that ad than I did!

I think I'll become a pain posting up asking for advice on each one I see ha ha

Mate feel free to ask thats why we are all here to learn and share info. I would suggest if you want advise on a really nice one that you like the look of that you pick a couple of forum members you think might be able to offer advise and PM them, as if you ask on the open forum and lots say " oh yea go for that one" there are always money in hand lurkers who will move on it before you can. :thumb:

daz parker said:
mzmini said:
Hi OP take the nettle in the hand, phone up ask the right questions and ask do I need to book a test you will be surprised if they falter say well you don't expect me to spend this type of money on an untried car happy test drive ,dealers need to get bums on seats that's what leads to sales that just what an OPC did to me :thumbs:

Yeah I guess, I've just had the odd day off and had a ride out to some sports car dealerships.

I did however spend last night trying to find one I liked to go to today but it's deciding which spec I want or if just any as long as it's the 3.8 manual and the specs just a bonus.

As already mention Daz in another thread 90% of the nice spec bits can be retrofitted the most important thing is the condition, getting a ppi and borescope and a colour you can live with.

Phil 997 said:
daz parker said:
Phil 997 said:
Daz the one in the link has lots of nice bits theres no sport chrono but it has PSE , sports seats, bose, cruise. full extended leather onto the centre console again very expensive option the handbreak is a 1k porsche upgrade and the gearknob is a turbo one again expensive, and the round airbag thicker sports steering wheel . that alone tells me someone has cared about the car. Who ever speced the car from new wanted a comfortable cruiser based on the spec but wasnt interested in the sports option which would indicate an easy life in the early years. :thumb: which is often when they get abused as the first owner often has a 3 yr lease so kicks it hard then hands it back. this doesnt look like that type of speced car. :D

Wow you got a lot more out of that ad than I did!

I think I'll become a pain posting up asking for advice on each one I see ha ha

Mate feel free to ask thats why we are all here to learn and share info. I would suggest if you want advise on a really nice one that you like the look of that you pick a couple of forum members you think might be able to offer advise and PM them, as if you ask on the open forum and lots say " oh yea go for that one" there are always money in hand lurkers who will move on it before you can. :thumb:

Yes you did menstion about that before, I will be a cash in hand buyer but I do also find it hard to get away from work so I agree I could miss out.

Thanks for the info.

Phil 997 said:
daz parker said:
mzmini said:

As already mention Daz in another thread 90% of the nice spec bits can be retrofitted the most important thing is the condition, getting a ppi and borescope and a colour you can live with.

I did a little reading up on the chrono pack and it had mixed opinions really so I'm still thinking about that and all apart from the clock can be fitted after.

Then I had a read about c2 v c4 which is always going to be a personal choice but nearly all said the c2 is very well planted at the rear in fact some complained it was too good (think this guy wanted to be a drifter).

Still unsure if to get an un rebuilt one even if it's had the bores check for fear of future issues or issues when I come to sell it on as it's not had a rebuild although bores are ok.

I wouldn't of put too much thought on it but when you talk about 997.1's on here nearly all say don't get one get the 997.2 for peace of mind etc so when I do come to sell it and they come here for info they will get the same answers.

daz parker said:
.......... I wouldn't of put too much thought on it but when you talk about 997.1's on here nearly all say don't get one get the 997.2 for peace of mind etc so when I do come to sell it and they come here for info they will get the same answers.

The advice might stay the same but at the end of the day the two cars will fall into different price brackets and different buyers will always have different budgets.

If people haven't got the budget for a 997.2 they will buy a 997.1.

Nobody reading this forum would ever have bought a 996 Carrera of any description if this wasn't the case. :)

The advice on here will be useful to allow people to go in with their eyes open as all 997s can be brilliant value for money if bought right.

RSJ Porsche.

No Payment = no Test drive.

"Not even if it means you'll lose a sale?"
"No. We sell ten cars a week."

Kimbo said:
RSJ Porsche.

Yeah that attitude doesn't work for me.

I guess they have full confidence in what they are selling but still not for me.

T8 said:
daz parker said:
.......... I wouldn't of put too much thought on it but when you talk about 997.1's on here nearly all say don't get one get the 997.2 for peace of mind etc so when I do come to sell it and they come here for info they will get the same answers.

The advice might stay the same but at the end of the day the two cars will fall into different price brackets and different buyers will always have different budgets.

If people haven't got the budget for a 997.2 they will buy a 997.1.

Nobody reading this forum would ever have bought a 996 Carrera of any description if this wasn't the case. :)

The advice on here will be useful to allow people to go in with their eyes open as all 997s can be brilliant value for money if bought right.

I always factor in how hard it will be to re sell and I'm sure they would come here for info hence my concern.

TBH this forum has put me off more than making me want to buy one, I still will buy one as I've read horror stories about all the cars I've ever owned.

All cars have the big issue that you fear.

Daz, please try not to overthink the issue remember its only the few who have had a problem that shout about it on the internet , no one posts "drove my car today and nothing went wrong " :grin: I had my gen1 for four years did 50k of the 89k miles I sold it with and I got 3k more for it than I paid for it.
when selling it they borescoped it and clean as a whistle and it was a tiptronic.
I must admit I had an 06 car with the newer IMS bearing so that was never an issue for me personally.

As I have said before if you owned pretty much any other car it would depreciate over 4 years by more than an getting borescore fixed on a 997 cost so even as a worst case scenario it wouldn't cost you more over 4 years than driving a eurobox . also these cars can be Porsche warrantied up to 14 years old for about 1k pa after passing an 111 point check which can be negotiated at the time of sale. this warranty can be added no matter where you buy the car from. so even an 06 car you could get 2/3 years full Porsche warranty on for total peace free driving if you are the worrying type. :thumb:

I was told today that the larger ims was fitted from Feb 2005 I contested it but told again it's Feb 2005.

daz parker said:
Kimbo said:
RSJ Porsche.

Yeah that attitude doesn't work for me.

That's two of us then.

+3 Always amazes me when I read on here that guys are expected to buy the car without a test drive. I understand them avoiding the dream chasers just wanting a spin in a 911 but its quite easy to see who genuine and whos a time waster. :thumb:

Can I ask what people's interpretation of a 'test drive" is?

I'm 44 and have never test driven a car in my life before purchase. I've never gone to a car sale expecting to drive the car as I've never bothered to arrange Insurance. I've always requested that the owner takes me out for a drive with them driving. I'm content enough to listen out for erroneous noises and feel the pull from the passenger seat. It's worked for me my entire life as every car I've ever owned has been spot on. All private sales as well, I've never bought from a dealership ever. It's also worked with selling as well. Nobody has ever turned up on my door step with Insurance expecting to drive my car. I've taken them out for a drive and the sale went though on that basis.

It would be interesting to see what people's expectations are with regards to what they expect from a 'test drive".

My opinion is yes I would like to drive the car and take along fully comprehensive Insurance paperwork but if it's trade they should have a policy (failing that I have trade plates I could take)

I want to drive if possible to feel if there are any knocks or vibrations transfered through the steering wheel from braking, acceleration or cornering. Yes you can fell some of this when sat in the passenger side but the best seat is the drivers imo.

For me personally on buying a 911 I'd like to drive one as I've never drove one. I want to make sure I fit ok in the seats and it's what I've dreamed it to be. Not a fancy beetle as all my mates keep telling me.

I've sold two cars and one motorbike this week (not a trader just having a clear out), one bought one car no test drive but a cheap motor, other bought my shoe van without a test drive but I took him for a drive for 30 mins plus one day then picked him up from railway station which is another 30 mins drive. The guy who bought the ktm 300 wanted to ride it, this is an off road bike but was ok with a road test ride.

So yes everybody has a drifferent idea of a test drive but when I'm spending my money I want to drive it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back