Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange starting issue. Help required please!

Hi Guys

It's not fixed, but we now know the culprit is the CHT. It's reporting wildly differing temperatures, plus if you pull the plug the car behaves as you would expect (i.e thinks it is warm).

Basically when the car is warm and will not start the CHT says it is -23 deg C or thereabouts, so it's over fuelling. At least that is my belief. So it's a call to Matt at Type 911 in Bromley in the morning.

It's a bit annoying as I have just changed the crank sensor which is literally next to the CHT.

Another unrelated issue is that the car appears to have a faulty oil cooler temperature sensor. When hot the fan only comes on for a few seconds then cuts out. I know that the fan works at both speeds when jumped, and I swapped the relay with no charge in behaviour.

I have booked the car in with myself to fix both issues on Friday.

Thanks again

Berni

Hi guys

Just to bring this episode to a close.

The car is now fixed, although things were less straightforward than they could have been. Of course.

The CHT itself was a little awkward to remove partly because the camshaft end cap was 90 deg out and was fouling things up a bit. So we dropped the engine an inch or so and rotated that (fiddly). You can cut the old CHT lead and get a socket on, but the ratchet end will need to be quite small.

Getting the new CHT lined up so that it threads back in was a bit challenging given that the cable is quite stiff at the sensor end. Most people cut a 14mm socket to tighten it up, but I just ground down an old spanner and nipped it up with that. Probably not tight enough, but with this sensor I'm not sure it matters.

On my travels apart from discovering the incorrectly fitted cam seal cap, I noticed one of the engine mounts was coming undone. So I tightened that up and will get a tourque wrench on it soon. That could have been quite nasty actually.

Also I changed the front oil cooler sensor (had one already) because the fan would cut in for 3 seconds and then go off. It's a common fail. It's a 10 minute change through the headlight if you have a short 19mm spanner or crows foot. Now the car temp stays roughly around 9pm when hot, and the fan operates correctly.

For some reason the screen demist will not work at full boost now though. I was fiddling with relays so will have to investigate further.

Thanks again

Berni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back