Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black 993 Turbo @ Harbour Cars

I think you guys are being a little harsh on the 997 Turbo. :hand:

It's all about the context. The 997 can't compete against the beauty of a 993, of course, but in the wider context of most cars on the road it's a fine looking thing. I wouldn't want one but it's still a 911 when all's said and done.

Both versions would look ten times better without a big 'orrible wing on the back IMO.

Back to the Harbour Cars Turbo, I notice that it has the new official Porsche warranty for 993. Porsche managed to sell at least one of those then! I can't believe that there have been many takers.

spongebob squarepants said:
nickjonesn4 said:
tyinsky said:
:eek:

Can't belive some of those comments. You guys would rather have TWO 997 turbos in place of one, air cooled 993 Turbo?! Wrong on so many levels. 997Ts look gash. I wonder why they cost 2/3 times more...

porsche-993-turbo-s-c701828122016224734_1.jpg

002.jpg

997 turbo is hideous to behold, those wheels... yuk

But could actually afford 1 of these

AND one of these (with the centre-locks)

And as Mrs Sponge said when I proudly showed on my last mint 993 "It smells inside"

That GTS is lovely, most 997s look great, I just don't like the turbo. It looks very dated IMHO.

Zingari said:
jonttt said:
Face facts these are cars are now purchased by a different type of buyer

You mean one who believes in the Emperor's new clothes :dont know:

Trouble is I'm reminded of this:

M93FCB2v.jpg

i8b87lG.jpg

jonttt said:
Price is spot on :thumb:

There is one fact that always remains constant in the long term, rarity, desirability and quality = demand, That demand does not have to be to a mass market due to the rarity so yes out of the reach of most "enthusiasts" but then so is a 997 turbo. Most "enthusiasts" are in a much lower price bracket than both :roll:

Face facts these are cars are now purchased by a different type of buyer but to imply they are not enthusiasts is just ignorant. A 997 turbo is likely to be bought as a daily or second car. A 993 at this price point is likely to be bought as a 4th or 5th car, of course it won't be driven as much as a 997 turbo :grin:
h

"Ignorant' ....?

Not the choice of word I would tend to use .....but ....

No one said that they were not ' enthusiasts'......most Porsche buyers are but there can be no denying that there is a lot more 'speculation' going on these says than before ....

A purchase at this price may well be a 3rd or 4th car but that is more or less my point .....what I meant to say is that although most 'people/ enthusiasts' on here would genuinely love to have a 993 turbo in the garage ...it's not feasible anymore ( for most) ....

Personally ...I would have a 2S ..............I would put myself in the ' enthusiast ' bracket .. ( I am even questioning what an 'enthusiast' is now ..!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

dommorton said:
Zingari said:
jonttt said:

M93FCB2v.jpg

i8b87lG.jpg

Dear ,dear , dear.....does it always end like this ......?

dommorton said:
Zingari said:
jonttt said:

M93FCB2v.jpg

i8b87lG.jpg

Dear ,dear , dear.....does it always end like this ......?

It doesn't chum. All I'm saying is I like the 993 (and 964 obviously) but there is a price point I'd pay to own AND drive one.

Most of us on here got in well before that price point and we've done well knowing that if we actually use the cars, not afraid of whacking on some miles and stone chips, we aint going to lose and will always get the dough back, likely making some money on a future deal. I'm more than happy even just to get my money back, if we go back to the 'mean point, as I've technically written off the money I put into it and don't class it as an asset.

Trouble is at £160k for a very low mileage turbo you either have the money to buy it and not worry about making dough on it (even accepting you might lose some throuh depreciation) but you want that car so it matters not. Or you take a punt on an 'investment' where it's your 4th or 5th car and accept you won't drive it because you'd be shaking like a shitting dog very time you took it out in case something happened which in my book ruins the pleasure of the drive.

Personally if I had £160k to spend on a car and wanted to drive it, I'd be into something relatively new but accept doing so it'll doubtless depreciate and be prepared to admit it. :roll:

:hand: However I won't let depreciation be a deciding factor on what car I want to buy as I'm only here once and have no doubt I'm going to snuff it still with some loose dough in my pockets :nooo:

I'd like to meet the eventual buyer of this car, hopefully where they tell me they're going to drive it, not where I'm engaged in a deal to sell them that large marble plinth :grin:

I'm happy that owners of air-cooled are seeing the sale prices rising, we're all on a roll, but that just means a lot will drive them less. 993 owners on here thta I've met are a great bunch even when you get past the socks, sandals and driving gloves as worn out as a camel's knapsack :thumb:

I'll likely sell my car next year, not because I want to make a load of dough but my lifestyle will change and I want to replace it with something else but need the space it takes up in the garage. I still enjoy it but never saw myself owning it for life.

Zingari, Get a boxster as well old chum, more fun than a 911 and a perfect compliment to an air cooled for modern fun (I exclude the 718 :grin: ) Unless you need that dough its safer in the WB 964 :thumb:

You are then free to get any daily you want as the fun factor is ticked on the drive :bandit:

nickjonesn4 said:
spongebob squarepants said:
nickjonesn4 said:
tyinsky said:

Can't belive some of those comments. You guys would rather have TWO 997 turbos in place of one, air cooled 993 Turbo?! Wrong on so many levels. 997Ts look gash. I wonder why they cost 2/3 times more...

002.jpg

But could actually afford 1 of these

AND one of these (with the centre-locks)

And as Mrs Sponge said when I proudly showed on my last mint 993 "It smells inside"

That GTS is lovely, most 997s look great, I just don't like the turbo. It looks very dated IMHO.

Yep.........but for example I chose a 993 and boxster GTS instead, go figure :grin:

There is no argument that the 997 is the better car in almost every way (except for looks, and an interior that will always be dated and never classic due to PCM) and that more people would choose to own one over a 993. But that's not the point, enough people would rather own a 993 and being rarer the value will always be there. I would never dream of swapping my 993 for a 997 or 991 on so many levels and that's the same for buyers of these cars.

TBF that car 👆👆👆👆👆👆👆up there is for me a classic, I know people rave about the looks of 964 and 993 but for me anyway that's the sweet spot of all 911's, the shape and interior are just right. Shame I missed the 997 GTS bubble by a year or so.Good job were all different :thumbs:

When are people going to stop comparing the two cars . People who buy a 993 obviously don't want a 997. Even if they are better ! I could chop mine in and buy a 997, 991, and get a change. Both have no interest to me . It's as simple as that .. I love this and it's cost me the price of a nice e46m3. Much better car most of you would say , but I'm not interested in what it drives like ,it's about how it make me feel driving it

Attachments

• img_2007_274.jpg
    img_2007_274.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 3,404
elee said:
When are people going to stop comparing the two cars . People who buy a 993 obviously don't want a 997. Even if they are better ! I could chop mine in and buy a 997, 991, and get a change. Both have no interest to me . It's as simple as that .. I love this and it's cost me the price of a nice e46m3. Much better car most of you would say , but I'm not interested in what it drives like ,it's about how it make me feel driving it

Would love to see and read a little more on that car if you are happy to share.

nickjonesn4 said:
tyinsky said:

002.jpg

l

This is hideous?

Attachments

• image_350.jpeg
    image_350.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 3,346

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads