Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine rebuilder.

A full engine rebuild with all 6 cylinders done and done properly is in the region of £15k minimum.

To remove the engine, totally strip, machine out all cylinders, fit new liners, pistons, etc. Fit new seals, bearings, etc. Rebuild, install back in car, fully test, warranty work done + VAT?

Well there's your answer :?:

Just looking at the bills from the first car. Had all 6 cylinders done but no new crank bearings, etc. You could easily call that a half a***d job. Also skimming the worn discs up too rather than replacing with new. Some folk are full of no. 2s.

Yeah tbh when I read the discs had been skimmed I didn't like that, what's it saved like 200 quid?

Maybe they weren't in really bad shape so just wanted a little skim?

Who knows. But if I had a bill saying discs skimmed, I'd at least expect to see the new thickness skimmed down to printed on it. Bet the garage in question didn't even measure them.

Rear Meyle 997 discs - £115.

alex yates said:
A full engine rebuild with all 6 cylinders done and done properly is in the region of £15k minimum.

I think that's a bit steep isn't it?
Hartech are in the region of £10k with everything done (I know it varies so could a bit more or less than this).
At least that's what I spent 2 years ago so unless prices have massively increased...
My decision was to do everything based on peace of mind and resale values (god forbid!). And I was firmly in the camp of using a "known" engine builder. Not a job to cut corners on IMHO.

I suppose it depends on what work is done. When people write listings for their cars and state "not a half a****d job" Then doing a proper job on an engine rebuild would also include many other things like AOS, clutch and flywheel, larger IMS bearing, etc.

Factor all that in and the price can easily get where I quoted. Even so - your £10k rebuild could've bought a 996.

I have seen receipts from hartech rebuilds and they haven't been 15k rebuilds but it's how deep they want to go.

So theme seems to be if it's had a rebuilds it's hartech really but if one comes up with any builders I'll post up the add for you guys to check it out.

I've not fully decided if buying a later car like a 2007 without a rebuild but bores checked from a Porsche Indy are a good buy as the bores could still fail. (I guess you all like rsj but other Indus might/could be as honest).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back