Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What does your Porsche say about you?

My uncle told me many years ago to drive a good car and wear a nice watch. People want to do business with succesful people.

MC

jotaking said:
If your surgeon or lawyer rocks up in a Porsche then you think...this guy knows what he is doing and is clearly "top dog". Confidence inspiring.

If your builder rocks up in a Porsche you think....robbing bastard, won't be using him.

That's why I have a Vito Van! :driving:

If any builder turns up at my place I think robbing bastard WHATEVER he or she is driving!

:floor:

I'm an electrician, brought my first 911 when I was 24. I really could not care what neighbours think of me, anything negative is a lack of understanding or jealousy. As far as work, I do not shout about it but most of my clients know I love cars and have a few... Get the odd comment but I do not think I have ever lost business over it. Would not want that to happen obviously but you are never going to look back on your life and regret owning a nice car but you might regret never taking the opportunity.
At the end of the day you will only get business if you offer good value. No doubt if I visited a new client in my 911 they would form an early opinion but I am sure when the quotes and advice is in I would be seen to be offering good value. However I would park down the road or use a different vehicle as others have suggested just to avoid any assumptions they might make.

Literally just come away from a meeting this afternoon and the facilities manager said 'if you win this job you could buy a new Porsche' I just smiled and said 'No of course not.... I could probably buy two' :hand: It was taken as intended but then again I have known these guys a good few years now.

Follow your dreams young man but just pick your moments to use it and talk about it, some of your clients will love it. Park down the road if needs be or as others have said get a cheap runabout.

jotaking said:

Wait you can afford a Mercedes Vito? Someone is charging too much! I am rattling around in a 2008 astra van, it is the oldest van on our fleet.

+1 MisterCorn :thumb:

911tom said:
jotaking said:

Wait you can afford a Mercedes Vito? Someone is charging too much! I am rattling around in a 2008 astra van, it is the oldest van on our fleet.

Don't think they'll be much rattling around in a 350BHP Astravan!!

That sounds like a "getaway" vehicle? :cop:

To us on here, seeing a 26 year old driving a Porsche we would notice the car waaaay before we paid any attention to the age of who was driving it.

But if your clients are concerned at you driving a 911, then get higher net worth clients :D.

A colleague of mine at a well-known private bank used to get a new Porsche 911 every year, paid for himself. His view was, as others have said, that it showed he knew what he was doing with his clients' money.

Sadly I think this is a British "thing".

Often it seems that either through jealousy or small mindedness we see someone doing well, who may have a lovely car & think, I'm paying for that. Other countries seem to think, well done, you have worked hard etc.

I run my own firm, but never use my 997 for work.

A good friend of mine works as a kitchen designer - high end stuff. He comes from a very wealthy family, and drove a new range rover when he started at his current employer, he struggled to get any orders. He bought a middle of the range new golf, and started getting orders.

There may be some who think, well done, good on you but I think there are more who would resent you for it. unfortunately and unfairly, your age would also go against you, some people would accept it if you were 50.

I've been a contractor in finance in London for many years. Every role I have worked (and I mean absolutely every role every where) there have been people multiple people who comment "oh you have a Porsche, we must be paying you too much". Then they show interest on the model, then how fast it goes, then have I done any track days THEN back to me being paid too much.

Nobody sees I'm in the office all day every day, rarely take holidays in fact have taken only 4 days off this year (all since June) do not get a company pension or bonus or private health care etc. Or, when my contract runs out it can be weeks before the next one lands so no income.

Oh you drive a Porsche, yeah but I work frickin hard and deserve it. Oh and it's 13years old.

I would love it if my (imaginary) financial adviser drove a 911 8)

Go for it, but be ready with a good answer for the inevitable ribbing :thumb:

Thanks all. Lots of good comments and stories.

In summary, I'm buying a Porsche :D

benbuhagiar said:
Thanks all. Lots of good comments and stories.

In summary, I'm buying a Porsche :D

Flash sod!

Who cares what other people think?

Buy what you like and make no apologies for it. Far too many people are concerned with their image nowadays. What other people think about you for driving the car you have, wearing the clothes you wear, or living in the place you do says much more about them than it does about you.

Be true to yourself dude, we pass this way briefly and only once...

:thumb:

What does my Porsche say about me?

Cool. Off the scale.

(Not my words).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back