Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE refresh

BChivs

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi,
My car is fitted with factory PSE and I can't get enough of that noise! When I had the pre purchase inspection carried out one of things listed was the rear PSE. Boxes are slightly corroded, and one had had a previous repair. Whilst it's not blowing and the guy that did the inspection said it will last a while I'd like to get it sorted. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and whilst it's ok and likely to be for a while I would rather get the few bits on the list sorted so I know the cars mint.
Trouble is I can't bring myself to shed out £3k on an OEN replacement system so need to consider options. I have scoured all second hand and can't find any anywhere, even German eBay etc. I did think aftermarket but would worry it would sound different. I really don't want to lose the own sound and also originality of the car.
Crazy question but is the non PSE boxes the same in principle? Could I buy OFM non PSE boxes, and get an engineering firm to cut the bypass pipes from my existing PSE system and make the non sport boxes switchable? Could this be done or are they different to start with?

Search 'gundo hack', 'fister mod', or 'PSE hack' and you'll be able to see (and hear) how it works on OEM non-PSE boxes.

Granted, it will affect the originality. But the cars I've seen with the mod did sound nearly exactly the same as OEM. You won't be able to switch them though, but I drove around with the valves open all the time on the OEM system anyway :D

As far as I know, the only difference between standard boxes and PSE ones is the bypass pipe and the vacuum controlled switchability. So in theory what you're suggesting to do is possible. Probably won't be cheap though.

As an alternative, Oettle in Germany offer a set of Dansk boxes with valve control. And Carnewal in Belgium has a valved system as well. They're not too far off in terms of price from an OEM system, however.

It would be interesting to hear if you can get someone to weld the pipes from the existing OEM PSE and transfer the switchability to a set of new boxes. And how much it would cost, of course. So let us know how you get on :)

Jackzi said:
Search 'gundo hack', 'fister mod', or 'PSE hack' and you'll be able to see (and hear) how it works on OEM non-PSE boxes.

Granted, it will affect the originality. But the cars I've seen with the mod did sound nearly exactly the same as OEM. You won't be able to switch them though, but I drove around with the valves open all the time on the OEM system anyway :D

As far as I know, the only difference between standard boxes and PSE ones is the bypass pipe and the vacuum controlled switchability. So in theory what you're suggesting to do is possible. Probably won't be cheap though.

As an alternative, Oettle in Germany offer a set of Dansk boxes with valve control. And Carnewal in Belgium has a valved system as well. They're not too far off in terms of price from an OEM system, however.

It would be interesting to hear if you can get someone to weld the pipes from the existing OEM PSE and transfer the switchability to a set of new boxes. And how much it would cost, of course. So let us know how you get on :)

I was thinking more along the lines of what you said really....My 996 has factory PSE but the box has been repaired. I was thinking of buying either new or good second hand non PSE boxes and basically do a gundo hack but make it switchable using my old PSE boxes? My brothers a good engineer and have no doubts he could do this but I wasn't sure if there were any other differences to the actual silencers?

A brand new OEM non-PSE system will set you back over £2k. So if you can find a good used one that would probably be a better option.

Bearing that in mind, Carnewal offer the OEM PSE system for around 2.6k Euro, which would only really be a few hundred pounds on top of the standard OEM system plus the extra hassle of having to fiddle around with the pipes, valves and actuators.

And the bonus is that you retain originality.

From a cost point of view I think your approach would only really make sense if you got a set of very cheap used boxes or new Dansk items.

Don't touch Dansk.

Poor quality and appalling customer service.

TopGear much better.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back