Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 911 dumped a lot of oily water on floor

With that amount of oil in the coolant expansion tank and no running issues or overheating it is most likely oil cooler failure.
We rebuild these engines regularly and deal with cracked liners / cylinder heads on a weekly basis however you would expect misfiring and or steam / smoke (basically more symptoms).
If front rads have pressurised and ruptured as a result or are leaking for other reasons it does sound like the selling dealer has more than one problem to resolve!

Thank you AMS, a lot more people are starting to point towards the oil water cooler, I will ultimately let the garage diagnose but point out to them that this has been suggested and also to check the whole cooling system and rads etc.

I had that on a 99 model 996, bad news, engine needs a rebuild I reckon.
Don't be surprised if the dealer has just changed the coolant to get it out the door in the hope it stays away. No warranty company will honour it either if they buy the warranty in, I would just reject it and try for a refund and hope you don't get messed about.....

Good luck with this, you must be gutted. Hopefully the dealer is trustworthy and doesn't try short cuts to resolve the issue.
As previous post it may be worth going for a full refund and getting on the look out for a replacement.

Do let us know the registration if it's turned into a lemon - so we can avoid :)

I would also try to get a refund.

Theres plenty of cars out there.

Having said that, these are old cars and anything could go pop at any time. By law I think you have to give them one chance to fix it.

But that might drag out a long time if it needs more than an oil cooler.

So push for a refund now.

wasz said:
I would also try to get a refund.

Theres plenty of cars out there.

Having said that, these are old cars and anything could go pop at any time. By law I think you have to give them one chance to fix it.

But that might drag out a long time if it needs more than an oil cooler.

So push for a refund now.

By law you have 30 days to reject it, it used to be 14 days.
Outwith this period they have 2 options, remedy repair or provide a replacement its as simple as that. Only issue is that they have the right to repair, not you taking it elsewhere. This can be sticky as they can keep it for 30 days to run out losing your right to reject. Refund please, as other users have stated there is a large choice of cars to choose from and good advice to get a PPI done on any car these days, especially a 15 to 320 year old Porsche.
I hope it all goes smoothly for you

Given the timing (2.5hrs) after buying it, I"d just demand a refund (check legally you can do it), put it in writing and move on to look for another car.

The dealer can sort out the issue and find another buyer. Argue your experience with this 'lemon' has tainted your experience for this car and you don't want it back.

If need be, consider getting a lawyer to check your draft letter demanding a refund and allow him to edit it to put you in the strongest position to force a refund. Of course the letter must be sent recorded and signed for delivery.

How have you got on with this?!

In the case of faulty at time of supply, the burden of proof lies entirely with dealer for the first 6 months and ultimately you can lodge a County Court Money Claim - with the photographic evidence you have and the breakdown recovery there is no argument to say otherwise.

If you get messed around with a refund set up a Money Claims online account and draught an N1 Claim Form online. Don't submit it but print it off and post it to them recorded delivery with a covering letter giving them an opportunity now to reimburse you financially; otherwise you will file the claim.

Unfortunately (if you are one!) the Courts generally don't side with the Motor Trade. Traders are often held to account and there are lots of 'Cowboys' out there.

The dealer will have to respond with a defence if you end up going this route and ultimately they would need to attend the County Court.

I am just giving you this info as, whilst it is not in the slightest an ideal scenario - you need to know where you stand and maintain a calm and confident demeanour.

Assuming your 996 cost £10k+ the N1 paper fee is 5% of the claim amount.

Give them a chance first though! For the sake of all parties.. :judge:

Good luck mate.

I have had reasonably good news, the garage have found that the o-rings have failed on the oil cooler, they are fitting new o-rings, flushing the system, and running more tests on Monday to make sure no other issues.

sjmsmart said:
I have had reasonably good news, the garage have found that the o-rings have failed on the oil cooler, they are fitting new o-rings, flushing the system, and running more tests on Monday to make sure no other issues.

Im a little sceptical about it being the O rings as they stop the fluids leaking out , but ill wait and see :)

Attachments

• underside_of_oil_cooler_1_293.jpg
    underside_of_oil_cooler_1_293.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 4,867
Thanks, I will be insisting that it is thoroughly tested etc and will be giving it a good run before I decide anything in terms of accepting it back.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back