Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT2RS goes Sub-7, on course for Nurburgring record

I'm still not sure I believe the Lambo's record. They have taken liberties with their times I think.

Looks good in any colour but I still love the Silver. :thumb:

His voice made my head hurt :grin:

I'm surprised Porsche has had it beat the 918

996lee said:
I'm surprised Porsche has had it beat the 918

Not really. Firstly - getting the best number is more important this time. Secondly - if they wanted a faster time for the 918 then they would do one. The time with that was set on bog stock showroom geometry and its standard eco-optimised version of the Cup tyres (and invited independent journalists to reinforce that). The 918 shares its tyre sizes with the 991 RS models and faster (N rated road legal) rubber is consequently available. So if they had wound on the kind of camber settings that they put on the GT3R Hybrid racing car and put the fastest available tyres on it... pretty safe to assume that a much faster time would have been available. As it was though, they just wanted a sub 7 and the awesome Mr Lieb managed that with a showroom fresh amount of understeer running through it.

The bottom line is that the 918 is not a current product, so nothing to sell there. Meanwhile, here is the new toy and it is faster.

And the footnote - I don't think that they mind at all when the bloggers sit there with stopwatches and whip up interest in the impending press release 8)

The 918 that went round wasn't optimised for the Ring, wasn't the Weissach package, was carrying a bunch of testing equipment too and to my knowledge wasn't on fresh tyres. If they were really going for the best they could get out of it (a Weissach spec car), Porsche engineers estimate it would have done high 6.40s.

I was at the Ring this week whilst the GT2 RS was setting its time. Factory spec Michelin Cup 2 tyres, no funny business like Lamborghini or Nissan. Press release will be coming end of this week - I know what the time is, and it's going to make a stir :thumbs: :D

T8 said:
Since this thread stopped the Lambo Aventador broke the production car record and last week the new AMG GT Black edition Mercedes broke it again.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...6-43-61-nurburgring-production-car-lap-record

I wonder if this will be an early target for the forthcoming 992 GT3. :?:

I'm sure it will, Andreas Preuninger said it was "a lot faster around the 'Ring" than the old GT3 in the video with Chris Harris.

I would point though out the the GT2 RS MR was already faster than the Lambo and the new AMG at 6:40.3 although of course its not quite standard. The new GT3 then does have quite a target to beat doesn't it?!

I'm struggling to see how the new 992 GT3 could be faster around the Ring than the GT2RS MR :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back