Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water pump

peterzoom

Spa-Francorchamps
Just thought I would share this experience with you all.
My 987 was making a bit of an unseemly racket and after a bit of close listening it turns out that the water pump was beginning to fail. I had it replaced and was amazed at the reduction in running temperature.
Previously, in traffic it would sit at about 90 with the fans running audibly. After the replacement pump a solid 80 is it's default reading on the gauge with much less fan action.
With this in mind it dawned on me that my 996 was sitting at about 85 to 90 in traffic recently, definitely a little higher now that I seemed to remember previously.
As the 996 was in for a service I asked for the pump to be replaced also. It wasn't noisy in any way but the records show the pump had covered 60k miles.
Wow! what a difference. Running in traffic and stuck for an age on the motorway, a solid 80 on the gauge just like the Boxster.
So I guess that the pumps efficiency can drop off markedly before the bearings begin to get noisy.
So, if you have any concerns about hot running I would definitely recommend changing the pump.

Have you got the old one for inspection? Is it a plastic impeller?

Definitely good practice to renew if there's no proof of a change at any time in history.

Mines getting done in a few weeks.
Also a main dealer one is £250. Cheap ones are £100. For the sake of £150 just buy the Porsche one, otherwise it's a schizophrenic approach to maintenance. Removing the old one for a cheap thing that may not last or that you'll have to swap out more regularly.

Mine looks original so if it's lasted 19 years and 75k I'm happy to replace with the same. :thumb:

the cheaper ones have metal impellers, vs original plastic.

the original can fail sending chunks of plastic through the cooling system

the cheaoer metal impellers can "machine" the block a bit when they go wonky

either way, probably good to treat as a very infrequent service item

Yes that's it Wasz. Pros and cons to either type.

If I fitted a cheapie I'd change it every 2 years. As I've fitted a genuine part I'll give it at least 5 years.

Some people say that the extra weight of the metal impeller wears bearings quicker etc and as you say, if they do go the blades chew the surrounding surfaces up meaning you can't get pressure again.

The plastic ones break up saving the block but the bits disappear in far corners of the head and are sometimes impossible to retrieve without a strip down.

Yet another loveable quirk of the M96 engine. :grin:

The pump that came out of the 996 had plastic blades and the 987 had metal ones.
I tend to agree that there are pros and cons with each type and as such they are better to be regarded as an item that is replaced before failure and given a lifespan commensurate with its construction.
I did notice when researching replacements that there are several options including o/e from ECP.
Looking ahead I am going to replace them after 50k miles in service and certainly if there is any drop off in heat rejection that isn't explained by any other culprit.

I fitted the plastic impeller pierburg pump from frazerpart which is v good and v cheap

Marky911 said:
Definitely good practice to renew if there's no proof of a change at any time in history.

Mines getting done in a few weeks.
Also a main dealer one is £250. Cheap ones are £100. For the sake of £150 just buy the Porsche one, otherwise it's a schizophrenic approach to maintenance. Removing the old one for a cheap thing that may not last or that you'll have to swap out more regularly.

Mine looks original so if it's lasted 19 years and 75k I'm happy to replace with the same. :thumb:

Speaking from experience (bad), the non original parts are crap, so I wholehearted back up what you have written :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back