Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Consumption

alex yates said:
With regards to keeping your oil at max, I found this thread of GT4's a good read......until the bun fight started:
www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=64973

Cheers Alex :grin:

That is interesting.

Didn't want to get into oil types specifically as different opinions and have already spoken to Hartech about oil.. :?

Very useful reading the technical details which the OP says keeping oil at max level benefits :thumb:

Thanks Ragpicker :thumb:

My 996 uses hardly any. Nor my Cayenne nor my 964.

And they all get driven hard.

Owned my C2 996.1 2 years done 11k I have never had to topped the oil up dip stick lasts shows full engine very clean no leaks on any of the fluids not bad for 17 year old car
Is this just a 3.4 thing ??

My 3.4 is the same. Only time it seems to use any oil is on a single 1100 mile run and then only an egg cup full. Normal use doesn't use virtually any.

Perhaps my IMSB is soaking it all up :floor:

So, got her up on the ramp today to inspect. No oil leaks (although identified a slight a/c leak).

All looked fairly clean and not too much corrosion around the usual places.

I wasn't able to take a pic but I have a very slight misting of oil coming from the IMS/RMS. The oil which had gathered there was dry/old but cleaned off and there is a definite sweat coming out of the joint.

I am aware of the RMS/IMS issues here but am wondering if this misting is normal, commensurate of age/miles and OK for now? It is specifically coming from the joint - question, do I need to re-torque or replace casing bolts (wishful thinking). Also running on Mobil1 and thinking of changing to Millers as advised.

Thanks all :thumb:

Perfectly normal to get a slight weeping in that area at that age and nothing to worry about (unless you're getting a puddle on your drive). When you have the box off for other reasons, then get the leak fixed. Don't mess re-torquing bolts.

Cheers Alex. A relief to hear that :wink:
I am not doing many miles at all either but will keep an eye on it

C4-STORM said:
So, got her up on the ramp today to inspect. No oil leaks (although identified a slight a/c leak).

I wasn't able to take a pic but I have a very slight misting of oil coming from the IMS/RMS. The oil which had gathered there was dry/old but cleaned off and there is a definite sweat coming out of the joint.

I am aware of the RMS/IMS issues here but am wondering if this misting is normal, commensurate of age/miles and OK for now? It is specifically coming from the joint - question, do I need to re-torque or replace casing bolts (wishful thinking). Also running on Mobil1 and thinking of changing to Millers as advised.

Normal .. leave it alone .

Demort said:
C4-STORM said:

Normal .. leave it alone .

Thanks Demort.

Would I be correct to assume that this will get worse with added miles and is it the RMS?

Misting will be on the bell housing at the bottom for either the rear main seal or the ims seal .. it can also be from a couple of bolts inside as well .

Will it get worse though .. difficult but lets put it this way .. i see an awfull lot of cars with damp bell housings .. i havent changed either seal on any car in over 2 years .. probably longer but i forget :D

The old Porsche scoreing was out of 5 .. yours would rate a 1 .. we wouldnt work on them untill a 4 with that being forming a drip and falling to the floor with engine running .

You can get similar misting on Tip boxes at the back section .. imho it doesnt need fixing untill theres an obvious leak .. misting is just that , its not what i would call a leak as such although that comment might start an argument as misting is technically a leak ... Its just one that i dont think warrents any attention .

Understood and thanks for the info.

I suppose the main thing also is to keep an obvious eye on oil level and pressure which I have been anyway in my slightly paranoid state lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back