Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WANTED 997 Turbo Engine

That seems loads. Had mine tweaked from 1.2 to 1.4bar and it's lifted performance significantly. If you go much higher you need methanol to lower AIT's and all kinds of ignition offset to mitigate detonation.
Did your mate run methanol? It would be good to mine some data and analysis.

Norfolk unfortunately my mate went in with his eyes closed! I think he bought it purely for the body kit and how fast the acceleration was, due to too much boost, he's not mechanically minded.
No methanol, nothing at all! Just a stupid programme down by a cowboy to sell the car!
I'm waiting to go and see if the engine has been stripped down to see the full extent of the damage.

He needs to get the mapping sorted then or blow another engine.....jeez !

No rebuild prices for a gen 2 997 turbo ken? Yet to see one in need?

Jcx said:
Yep no prices - have not seen one yet that needed rebuilding although I do know of some that have gone when let's say pushing the boundaries, but certainly not stock.

Still it could be worse - currently rebuilding 2.7RS engine - the parts alone make a turbo car look cheap! :eek:

Ken

996ttalot said:
Jcx said:
Yep no prices - have not seen one yet that needed rebuilding although I do know of some that have gone when let's say pushing the boundaries, but certainly not stock.

Still it could be worse - currently rebuilding 2.7RS engine - the parts alone make a turbo car look cheap! :eek:

Ken

Yikes. That must be quite a bill.

What does a PDK box cost to rebuild if required? I expect it's a piece of string thing but if it's possible an average case will do :)

Jcx said:
996ttalot said:
Jcx said:

Ken

What does a PDK box cost to rebuild if required? I expect it's a piece of string thing but if it's possible an average case will do :)

Less than perpetual OPC warranty renewals :wink:

You moving to the dark side? Go on, it's much more fun :)

Norfolk & Idea said:
Jcx said:
996ttalot said:
Jcx said:

Ken

Less than perpetual OPC warranty renewals :wink:

You moving to the dark side? Go on, it's much more fun :)

Measuring the risk my good man :)

Jcx said:
996ttalot said:
Jcx said:

Ken

New PDK is on average £12.5k plus vat plus fitting. Porsche do not sell or offer any major internal parts for the gearbox, but they can be procured through other sources.

Rebuild at the moment is not an option but it will come as most Porsche going forward will be PDK, so the market for repairs will happen - something we are working on.

996ttalot said:
Jcx said:
996ttalot said:
Jcx said:

Ken

New PDK is on average £12.5k plus vat plus fitting. Porsche do not sell or offer any major internal parts for the gearbox, but they can be procured through other sources.

Rebuild at the moment is not an option but it will come as most Porsche going forward will be PDK, so the market for repairs will happen - something we are working on.

£15K plus fitting. Why might a box 'go' when it appears to be very well protected by the software controlling it. Assuming regular oil changes (more frequent than the recommended 6 year interval) would you anticipate a long and healthy life? In fact how frequently would you change the PDK oil?

Jcx said:
996ttalot said:
Jcx said:
996ttalot said:
Jcx said:

Ken

£15K plus fitting. Why might a box 'go' when it appears to be very well protected by the software controlling it. Assuming regular oil changes (more frequent than the recommended 6 year interval) would you anticipate a long and healthy life? In fact how frequently would you change the PDK oil?

It is well protected by software, but as in any gearbox mechanical parts can go. The early boxes when PDK was introduced did have some issues but these were replaced.

There are two service schedules for the PDK box.
1. Clutch oil - which is every 6 years or 60000 miles
2. Transmission oil - which is every 12 years of 120000 miles

The main issue we have seen is around heating, but that is normally down to the cooler which is an easy fit.

Personally with those service schedules, I would be doing both of them every 6 years.

Great thx Ken. I'll follow your advice. Apologies for the thread hijack OP.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back