Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery, Conditioner not helping, warrranty ?

fastlowe

Silverstone
Hi, went to my 997 gen 2, haven't used it since it was serviced, battery is flat, wondered if my old conditioner was Not working so bought a new Ctek MXS 5.0 to regenerate. Been on for 24 hours, still no good. Do I need a new battery do you think? and is it covered with Porsche warranty ? Many thanks everyone :)

It does sound like the battery has died , the original Porsche Moll batterys without the red tops tend to die when they go flat , not a very good battery im afraid but the new red tops are much better .

Warrenty .. hmm .. you will struggle there as lack of use is grounds for refusal ..

You have a Porsche warrenty though so will need a Porsche battery so ask for it to be investigated for a warrenty claim .

tell them you have used it and done more than 1k miles per 6 monthes and when garaged has been on a ctek charger .. then its fingers crossed .

Thanks again Demort, your advice is always priceless, at some point I'll catch up with you and buy you a case of you're favourite tipple !! :thumb:

fastlowe said:
Hi, went to my 997 gen 2, haven't used it since it was serviced, battery is flat, wondered if my old conditioner was Not working so bought a new Ctek MXS 5.0 to regenerate. Been on for 24 hours, still no good. Do I need a new battery do you think? and is it covered with Porsche warranty ? Many thanks everyone :)

From experience these chargers rely on some amount of battery life, this has happened many times with me before. Solution, put some power into the battery with another battery or jump leads on another car, then connect C-TEk, it will the n start to charge. When fully charged do a drop test on the battery, but I reckon this will solve your fault and save you money

westcoastclassic said:
fastlowe said:

From experience these chargers rely on some amount of battery life, this has happened many times with me before. Solution, put some power into the battery with another battery or jump leads on another car, then connect C-TEk, it will the n start to charge. When fully charged do a drop test on the battery, but I reckon this will solve your fault and save you money

Excellent advise :thumb:

fastlowe said:
Thanks again Demort, your advice is always priceless, at some point I'll catch up with you and buy you a case of you're favourite tipple !! :thumb:

Bless you .. i do my best :D

fastlowe said:

if you hook up your old c-tek to another car I bet you it works fine, so you will now have two c-teks, never a bad thing. Perhaps it never occurred to you to test it on another car prior to purchasing another?

I'd guess your battery is finished. Check the week/year embossed on the terminal (4 digits week week/ year year). You may revive it but short-lived and the it'll be dead when you are away from home and require a flat bed tow or a jump start from someone who knows where and how to jump start it ti prevent blowing the ECU (never jump across the battery terminals).

Mine died whilst on C-Tek and as it was 8 years old I just bought a Bosch S5 with the higher CCA value (there is a cheaper S5 with lower CCA).

All fine and hooked onto C-Tek charger.

Jump across the battery terminals ? I just connected negative and positive as usual ?

I had this, I put a normal battery charger on for a few hours then the ctek and it worked. As others have said if it's totally flat the ctek won't work.

fastlowe said:
Jump across the battery terminals ? I just connected negative and positive as usual ?

You will need a slave battery and with jump leads you connect negative to negative and positive to positive.

That in itself will give the dead battery some charge after 30 mins...

Or you can connect the ctek , charge both for 30 mins then you can disconnect it all and just charge the dead one .

Your basically trying to get some voltage into the dead flat one so that the Ctek can do its work .

If at any point when charging a battery you start to get a rotten egg smell ( sulpher ) then disconect and dont bother as the battery is beyond help .

Safety .. when ever working on a battery then the use of goggles is highly recomended .. i have seen the consequences of a battery that went bang and it wasnt pretty for the mechanic involved .

One last thing .. when a battery has been on charge for a while then there is the possibility of gass build up .. always leave a battery for 30 mins after its been charged before connecting the leads .

Googles on when ever you connect a battery .. over the top maybe but a battery going off makes a hell of a mess .. and it hurts ;)

Quick update, bench charged battery in the end, still U/S.. Got car to OPC, they checked battery confirmed no good. Fitted new battery and did a drainage test, all good. Unfortunately had to pay for battery :( as Dermot hinted, lack of use so its not covered. I better use the car more often !! cheers fellas, learnt a lot about batteries this week :thumbs:

fastlowe said:
Quick update, bench charged battery in the end, still U/S.. Got car to OPC, they checked battery confirmed no good. Fitted new battery and did a drainage test, all good. Unfortunately had to pay for battery :( as Dermot hinted, lack of use so its not covered. I better use the car more often !! cheers fellas, learnt a lot about batteries this week :thumbs:

Out of interest, how much did they charge for the battery, how much for labour and did they fit a new Moll red top battery that Demont mentions?

OPC will have fitted a Moll. Final bill inc VAT would be around £400 for diagnosis, testing, labour and parts.

Moving forward I recommend the OP use a trickle charger from now on if not using it enough.

Cost was £303.85 . It's a Moll battery. OPC Leicester. Always been very good for me :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back