Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter tyres for U.K. Buyers

P4WKA

Just put on my winter set of wheels and tyres mainly because I've sold summer summer wheel and tyre set ....I noticed that rear winters are looking like they have been hammers and won't last till April.
Shopping around in uk the prices of rear winters is £315-£375 so looking around on eBay I found lots of sellers in Germany and Italy selling same spec and brand for £80-£90 per tyre .
I've ordered two rear peril sottos n2s 295/35/18 deliverd from Italy for £199.00 .

At this price no need to put them cars away for the winter

I always get mine from Europe as there is a lot more choice

In Germany and switzerland and austria you have to run winter tyres by law as they get proper cold weather and snow.

They call it 'O bis O' which is oktober bis ostern - October to Easter which is when you have to run winters.

It's not law in France or Italy unless you are in the alps or dolomites as you defo need then there and always carry snow chains.

Bit early for winters here as they really take over summer tyres when below 7 degrees but as you have no other wheels then why not. Winters Ade so much better in the wet too as more tread and blocks to shift the water.

Interesting thread, I always run winter tyres on my cars, and I need to replace a rear as I have a bulge in it. I will have a look on ebay Germany and see what they go for there, I might get some for the wife's CR-V whilst I'm paying for carriage. They are bleedin expensive over here. :nooo:

They don't work near as well when they go below 4mm though so just be wary of anything arounf or below that figure as its false economy.

Im pretty sure that's why the germans etc offload them when there getting near this depth.

You might also want to check the build date on the cheapo winters, as the unscrupulous might just be unloading old stock...

Just reached my 1000th post :D

coullstar said:
They don't work near as well when they go below 4mm though so just be wary of anything arounf or below that figure as its false economy.

Im pretty sure that's why the germans etc offload them when there getting near this depth.

+1

MaxA said:
You might also want to check the build date on the cheapo winters, as the unscrupulous might just be unloading old stock...

+1

Have you tried Camskill (no affiliation). Never used them myself, but have heard people mentioning them in the past: https://www.camskill.co.uk/m11b0s0p0/Winter_-_Snow_-_Cold_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_18_inch

I live in Luxembourg and usually use these German websites:

www.reifendirekt.de
www.reifen.com
www.atu.de

Also, have a look at your manual for the recommended winter tyre sizes, because the are normally narrower than the summer tyres.

I've used Camskills, pretty good for semi slicks and more unusual stuff, but occasionally out of stock. Some of the guys on the other forums use blackcircles. In Dubai PitStopArabia was the best.

I've also used delticom which trades as mytyres.co.uk in the UK (it claims to be the largest in Europe) but my latest order was horribly late - the order was lost by the delivery company and the replacement took quite a while. Maybe 6-7 weeks from order to delivery.... :?:

coullstar said:

Indeed, though there is a caveat that this applies to their performance in snow/standing water. Even with the considerable degradation in the performance of the tread, the performance of the compound when it is cold (single figure or lower temperature) but dry is still miles better than summer performance tyres under the same conditions. Consequently if you like a little blast on a sunny cold winter day, even worn winters are a better option than summer or (worst still) track day tyres.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back