Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Will be interested to know what you think once you've driven it.

I got home an hour or so ago, four hours of motorway which were not the roads I wanted to drive on fresh from CG.

What have we achieved over the past couple of days?

- I know a lot more about suspension, geometry, and how these things work together
- I've got a much greater appreciation for how my car is put together
- Previously "work rate" AKA front end fidget limited me to around 60 mph on a bumpy B road, on the test drive today Pete pointed out that I was doing 96 mph under the same conditions that normally stopped play 36mph previously
- The car is more comfortable than it was over broken surfaces
- It has far less roll
- Accelerate and it goes directly forward instead of heading to the right
- It looks great with a 20mm drop:

36493956444_376049a7fb_b.jpg

- It was a great two days, I really enjoyed myself and I can't wait to get a couple of hundred miles of A and B roads under the tyres at the weekend

This is the geo we ended up with:

37141202986_db4706dd49_b.jpg

And the costs, as I'm trying to keep this thread as transparent as possible:
£2,163.89 Ohlins R/T from Design911
£332.10 Ohlins springs from CG
£1,539.95 Ohlins remote adjusters, misc nuts and bolts, spring perch adjustment, two days of work, day one fitting, day two setting up, from CG
£18 wheel balance, place local to CG

Which gives us:
£4,053.94

And add say £300 for the hotel, food, petrol and so forth if you stay up there (should anyone else wish to follow this path).

Bring on the weekend!

On a different note, I've just been adding the CG receipts to my history file and checked the invoice from October last year - I wish I hadn't bought brand new Bilstein B4's then, but there you go:

37189927461_68e3a21b8d_b.jpg

So! Let my loss be your gain, £900 worth of suspension, 5,000 miles from new - take it away for £250 including the standard (cab) springs. This is the M029 suspension in Porsche language.

Demort said:
Yes .. it looks like the A/C drain .. position should be just behind the n/s/f wheel and to the left of the tunnel .

That's exactly where it is - should it leak continuously for 8 hours?

I'll take the suspension please.

Dammit said:
Winner - I'm in SE23, it's all boxed up and ready to go.

That's great, I'll work out when I'm nearish and see what we cant work out, could you pm me a phone number please.

£4K (+£650 loss on the old stuff) - holy macaroni!?! :eek:

On a recent long distance road trip before I left I got new pads all round and the geo done to factory spec. No way as comprehensive as what you've done but what a difference it makes. Especially when I had to scrub off speed before arriving at a single track stone bridge with a large Shogun filling the only space that was there. Or belting along on damp single track roads where 'off' equates to remote peat bog or cliff. So I can fully empathise with the feeling that comes from having confidence in your car. IMHO you can't put a price on that! :thumbs:

CG really know their stuff. I was very impressed with their work on my C2S. Were you not tempted to have them set up the nearly new bilsteins that you bought first?

bakerboy4s said:
There are not many issues with CG and their services :thumb:

Very true, when I was up there for a day and a half it was a pleasure watching Chris and Pete at work and seeing the thoroughness and attention to detail that they both work to.

I mentioned to Chris that the only criticism of both CG and 911v (where I got my car) was that they are 'expensive' - coincidentally Tom from 911v turned up to collect a 996GT3 that he'd asked Chris to go over - but having dealt with both I thought any extra cost was fully justified by the care and service which was provided.

tom_nieto said:
CG really know their stuff. I was very impressed with their work on my C2S. Were you not tempted to have them set up the nearly new bilsteins that you bought first?

That actually never crossed my mind - given the potential power upgrade coming with the 3.7 litre engine I thought that the stock B4's would be outside their design envelope, the geometry that Pete from CG put together for the car as-is has been specified with the higher power output in mind.

I do wish I'd not spent almost a grand on suspension that I then took off 5,000 later, but I didn't know nearly as much about these cars then as I do now - and I had no plans to rebuild the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back