Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Banger-nomics?

Cool Mini, Rags! They are a hoot. Get one bought OP.
I've got a set of RSRs for my 996 next summer. Awesome tyres at any price but the fact they are only £390 per set is mind boggling.

Stoo, I'm like you. I get to personal and fussy even with daily workhorses. That's why I love my old Volvo. It's gets washed every now and again and maintenanced properly but not over the top. It has semi cured my OCD. :wink:

First one viewed yesterday in deepest Lancashire.

Could be a goer pending owner getting a rather messy oil leak sorted.

Cracking run home across the A59 though, stunning scenery.

commute to work in the Smart ForTwo

wife drops children off and does general running round in Smart ForFour

So cheap to run it's unbelievable and actually both have really fun handling (but obscenely slow!!!) .

When I first had the ForTwo I thought there was a faulty pump at the filling station as i could only get 25 litres in the tank but had done 300 miles.

The 996tt has had such little use lately that in the last 18 months I have done 800 miles, which makes it slightly pointless to own when I think about it.

Upgraded my banger to a 6 pot banger. Lexus IS300 Sportcross - 3 litre lump and a slush box. Everything works, and it's in relatively tidy condition.

Quite a bit under a bag o sand and came with the petrol tank nicely brimmed :lol:

Electric everything. Comfy. Even reasonably fast. I've had worse drives!

My Banger's an E46 320td. It cost me £1200 four years ago and I've done nearly 50k miles in it. It's on 198k miles now ! It's more comfortable than my other cars. It's totally reliable and has never done less than a genuine 55mpg on my mostly-motorway commute. It'll top 60mpg in the summer.

It passed its last MOT with only one advisory, for low oil, which was a mistake by the garage anyway. It was fine when I checked it at home later the same day.

I'm really quite fond of it.

So after a lot of hassle and discussion, this got delivered today (the Mini, not the 996) to start my bangernomics journey. 75k miles, just had clutch, bushes etc, loads of history.

QIUsDP9.jpg

L9T88qU.jpg
:roll:

I just picked up a new daily steed this weekend a 2007 Renault Megane estate 100 k miles for the princely sum of £300 with a years ticket I must say it lovely drive ,it time for the old van to move on :thumb:

Banger collection, although just replacing the V series van for a much newer one, vans are cool!

Attachments

• img_6874_240.jpeg
    img_6874_240.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 3,948
A Banger?

I've got the C4S for weekends, a tweaked 2.0 Golf Tdi for dailies, a tweaked Discovery D3 for 'comfortable' long trips, an old Land Rover 90 for 'other' weekend activities and a 2 x Seat Ibizas for the kids/other 'pops to the shops'.

Having written this, I realise I have far too many cars :eek:

I bet that cost more than my Mini :floor:

Pontypool, I too use a Smart for town driving......it really is the only satisfactory option in London. However, it is not really a car more a mechanised shopping basket. Speed.....not a concern when you are in a traffic jam. Comfort....great. Parking....unequalled except for a motor bike. 996 for the weekends and out of town motoring.

I would describe the Smart as an appalling car, but a brilliant "thing" - if you see where I am coming from.

A stiffly sprung, go-kart handling, shopping basket! :)

Tried this with an old Rav4 nicknamed the sh!tbox, as it cost more to run than the Porker!

So much for their reputation for being bomb proof...

2nd & will be the last Toyota I ever buy! Never again!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back