Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

French toll charges

isysman

Just got my bill from the Sanef Liber-t tolls. I was only in France for a week. Drove from Spain to Monaco, then to French Alps and then to Reims and Calais.

I was expecting about £60-80 but the bill was... ahem £220!

Ay caramba! I wasn't expecting that much. How do French people afford this all the time?

Is there a higher fee for using these tags or something?

No, that's the standard rate. You can do your homework before you go and price up the route. I think michelin do it on their route planner. French don't tour between monaco, manchester and madrid. Calais to Nice is usually around 80 euros each way but the exchange rate hasn't helped.

isysman said:
How do French people afford this all the time?
/quote]

Only a small proportion of traffic uses them just like the M6 toll here..ie the locals use them at really peak periods when the route nationals are bonkers busy such as peak holidays...or when they drive mega distances on holiday etc.

I have found that it is a question of time. Travelling to the South, if you have time available, the cost of a two day trip off motorway, with a nice stop over, is about the same as legging it on the autoroute and paying tolls.

It does make me question the free use of motorways that foreign registered vehicles get in U.K. They don't even get money from the dart crossing if popular belief ifs correct.

If you weigh up the mpg gain, time saving and hassle, the auto routes aren't that bad. Use the RNs across country and you need to factor in a stopover.

Mange tout, Rodney. Mange tout

Go on the twisties.

Thats what your car was born for.

👍

I am still waiting for Sanef to charge me for about 1700 kms of motorway driving two weeks ago. Do you think they have forgotten about me?
Rick

If its with a tag itll be on next months statement.

in the summer, I came back from Alps via the Porsche Museum, the lack of road tolls on the return journey paid for the overnight hotel in Stuttgart. Might do the MB museum next year.

isysman said:
Just got my bill from the Sanef Liber-t tolls. I was only in France for a week. Drove from Spain to Monaco, then to French Alps and then to Reims and Calais.

I was expecting about £60-80 but the bill was... ahem £220!

Ay caramba! I wasn't expecting that much. How do French people afford this all the time?

Is there a higher fee for using these tags or something?

Silver lining.........at least you didn't get charged (foreign transaction) by the bank for using your debit card at every toll :nooo:

The French don't have to pay £500 road tax like us.

[t the exchange rate hasn't helped.[/quote]

I reckon the rate change has cost me in the region of £2k in the last 2 hols to France (wine supplies included)

Brexit....the only thing to of happened since the vote, is the exchange rate has collapsed :dont know:

Whoops! Am I opening a can of worms here?

Apart from a week in the Alps in January i will be giving the Euro zone a very wide berth until and if the exchange rate recovers.
They may not miss us but they will miss our tourist spend.

I've just done my calculation for next year's skiing holiday - about 75euro each way. For those interested in some historical data (and to show that exchange rates are not purely driven by Brexit) here are the rough GBP to Euro rates in September of each year

2009 1.09
2010 1.18
2011 1.15
2012 1.26
2013 1.19
2014 1.28
2015 1.36
2016 1.16
2017 1.14

Few 'bumper' years in there for the Brits, but people seem to forget that it has been up and down quite a lot over the years....

Interesting info there.
Euro hooning in 2014/15 was definitely much cheaper on the fuel spends, especially when racking up 2500+ miles, much of it twisty and elevated.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back