Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Loss of Power

rus_987

Hey guys, so my 987 has been sitting with a pretty empty fuel tank (5miles range) for the last 5 days, today I went and filled up to the brim, and then went for a drive in town.  After about 5 miles when I pulled off from a set of lights and changed into 2nd there was a loss of power, nothing was happening, so I stopped, then had to go into 1st and go again...everything was fine. then in another 2 miles same thing happened.  I switched off the engine, then switched it back on and the idle was jumping dipping and rising slightly (I would say from 800-1100rpm..).  Switched off again, drove for a mile, switched off and on the engine again - fine, again switched off and on - fine, revved it myself - fine, the revs settled, switched off and on again, again rock solid as it has always been... No CEL lights, and connected my cheap universal error code reader - 0 errors...any ideas? Maybe MAF?

Sounds like you have dragged all of the dirt throught the fuel pump and filter to me, resulting in fuel starvation. I don`t like to run any of my cars down below 1/4 of a tank for this very reason :nooo:

Poor running and no fault codes does lean towards a fuel pump issue .. the car cant monitor fuel pressure hence no code ( it dont know whats going on )

Maf also doesn,t normally give a code .. unplug it and drive it .. you will get a code then which will need clearing but if the fault persists then its not that.

A faulty maf usually will stop the car from reving past 4k rpm under load and not really what you have described .

Only other thing .. contaminated fuel .. but i would expect that would make the local news if so .. last time i herd of that there was dead cars all up the road from the garage !

Demort said:
Poor running and no fault codes does lean towards a fuel pump issue .. the car cant monitor fuel pressure hence no code ( it dont know whats going on )

Maf also doesn,t normally give a code .. unplug it and drive it .. you will get a code then which will need clearing but if the fault persists then its not that.

A faulty maf usually will stop the car from reving past 4k rpm under load and not really what you have described .

Only other thing .. contaminated fuel .. but i would expect that would make the local news if so .. last time i herd of that there was dead cars all up the road from the garage !

Well I drove it today and ran fine! And I only ever used shell v power nothing else.

By the way, can u pm where you are based. I'd like to come see you sometime. As my grandad used to say, you need to make friends with a mechanic, a policeman, a doctor, and a killer. I have all, but not a mechanic. Mcdermott this is where you come in. Lol joking, I just would like you to give the car a look over.

You will not be disappointed by a trip to Demort, I went to his outfit despite it being 120 miles from my house. He'll be seeing my car again in the future.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back