Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Hi Gixer, cheers and yep it's the little things that count. Do it right, do it once.
Hopefully by next summer the car will look like a black version of yours. :thumb:

Cheers Guy and yes all 3 pulleys use identical bearings as in the link above.
I actually had an email off them the other day for 10% off people's first orders. I'll pop it on here later for anyone who may want to buy the bearings. It'll only knock a fiver off but it's better in your pocket than theirs. :wink:

Mornin' Lee - That GT3 is rubbish. Can you believe it doesn't even have a cable throttle? I didn't even want to drive it when I found that out. I had a go anyway but the wiggly stick was missing from in between the seats and I had to pull on these flappy things attached to the steering wheel. When you pull on them they alter the sound of the engine and the position of the needle on one of the gauges. All a bit weird. :wink:

Seriously though it's awesome, as you'd expect. 9000rpm screamer. The track dried out nicely so we could push on. Engine awesome, brakes awesome, everything awesome.

Big thanks to my mate Paul for using up his +1 on a freeloader like me. :D
Paul has owned every generation of GT3 now including my old 996 before me, then a 997, 991.1, and now a 991.2. Not to mention a GT4 too, which again I got to go and drive at Silverstone.
His .2 will be manual though and whilst we both agreed PDK is good around the Porsche centre, as you have enough to do anyway, on the road they leave you a little cold.

Some lovely cars there including the 911R outside and a 997 Sport Classic.

Fantastic fun and a great setup they have there. Nice food too.
Well worth the 5 hour drive from oop north. 4 of us went down as our mates Mark and Mark were using up Marks 991GTS day. Travelled down on Sunday afternoon to the hotel. Meal, beers, bed then Silverstone on Monday morning.

I can recommend our instructor. Paul always asks for him when booking. Ed Pead. Great lad. Races bikes but has also done lots of car stuff.
For my last 5 minutes I asked him to drive and me to passenger.
Wow! Sideways around an entire lap after a flying lap properly before that.
You think you're quite a quick driver until you go out with a racer.
Superb!

Anyway you get the gist. Anyone reading, if you ever get the chance to go PEC Silverstone, jump at it. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :thumb:

Great work mark! Really interesting thread.
Tad jealous you got to drive a 991.2 GT3 around Silverstone! I need to book myself a Porsche experience day :)

I changed my Aux belt the other day. I did notice little play in one of the roller bearings. I have been getting a squeak on idle (not all the time). So i think i will order those bearings and refurb my rollers. Simple and cheap fix option.
How long did they take to arrive? I wouldn't mind the promo code if you have it please.

Thanks Yas,

Squeal at idle could be a few things. If you span everything while you had the belt off and only the pulley has play, then yes you may aswell start there.
Obviously alternater pulleys can squeak and I've even seen an aircon clutch fail, so even though the aircon is off it puts the belt under massive load.

Spraying a bit of GT85 on things while it's squeaking often pinpoints it too, as the squeak will go silent for a little while.

Anyway 10% discount code below. Let me know if it isn't right.

https://www.bearingbasement.com/?redeem=59aded5cdacbf00050f9425e

The bearing was probably the fastest thing I've ever had delivered.
According to their website they're in Ireland, yet I ordered at 6.30pm one night and it arrived at 9.30am the next day. I'm guessing they have distributors elsewhere.
Great service either way.

Good luck if you go ahead and swap the bearings. Very simple. :thumb:

PS Unfortunately you don't actually go around Silverstone on the standard PEC day. They have their own track with extras such as kick plate and low friction surfaces.
You still get up to flat out in 3rd which is ok in GT3/4.
I believe you can save your vouchers, so if you bought 4 cars you can use all 4 tokens to drive a one around Silverstone. The standard PEC day has a value of £500 you see yet the Full Silverstone one is £2k.
I think that's correct anyway as my mate Paul was going to do that but there's a massive waiting list for the full one.

Even the Porsche track is great fun though. The kick plate and low friction surfaces teach you a bit about car control, if you aren't experienced in that already. We have all done karting and trackdays etc and you pick a lot doing that anyway.

EDITED TO ADD -

If link doesn't work try this as code.

P60Q-VLNH-AA5G

Thanks mark, much appreciated.

Its strange, I get the sequel once warm, stationary with air con off. Slight rev and the sound goes, sometimes it returns sometimes not. I can hear a noise coming from the pulley area, so just need to identify which one.
The alternator is new, so doubt that. When I had the belt off and span the pulleys, I noticed more play in the top idler pulley (not much) just noticeable. All the rest seemed okay, water pump looked good (will be changing this in my major service along with an LTT and new coolant).

I think I will change the bearing on the top idler pulley, and report back. Hopefully I can say bye to the squeak.

Thanks again, great tip on replacing the bearing rather then shedding out more money unnecessarily. :thumbs:

I will look into the Porsche Experience day (birthday is fast approaching), to drive the 911/gt3/gt4 around a track will be a blast. Great day out plus not wearing down your own rubber! :grin:

Good luck. I hope it cures it. Failing that or even before, try the gt85. Only a fiver a tin. May pin point it.
Can't hurt to renew that bearing anyway though.

Yep that's the best thing about PEC. It's using their tyres.

This is how we brought the Macan Turbo back. :grin:

Cheers Wasz! :thumb:

Ok, busy day today.

First job was an easy one.
My Indy and also my MOT guy both reported this, in fact I think it was an advisory at my last MOT.

Rear anti roll bar corroded and bushes worn.

So 4 bolts in the 2 mounting brackets, then a nut onto each drop-link removed and it was off.

Looks like it's been at the bottom of the sea.

I sent it to the powder-coaters with my pulleys and engine bay strip the other week and it arrived back the other day.

I really wanted the black Powerflex bushes as they look more factory standard than the blue ones, but the black ones are on back order for a week or two and I wanted this job finished.

So anyway, anti roll bar and brackets back, black and silver respectively.
There's still some pitting under the powder-coat unfortunately but it's much better than it was and will do for now.

Ready to be refitted.

Can't get a good pic of it fitted but you get the jist.

Looks slightly out of place amongst the tatty old components and undercarriage but that will be sorted over time.

One more note. Have your bar coated then measure the thickness of it once it's back and order the appropriate size bushes.
They always wear oval so my bar was 18.8mm to 19.6mm.
I went for 19mm bushes.

Next this afternoon it was onto what I'd class as my first proper job on the car. Rads and condensers.
I think it's time to fess up to the fact I'd underestimated the work involved in this.

As I type I have the passenger side fully stripped and the drivers side is well on.
It's one of those "how far do you go?" jobs though.

Going to speak to my Indy and see what is usually renewed, eg all hoses? All hose clips? Etc.
I think I've read in the past to ditch the hose clips for stainless jubilee clips but the Porsche spring clips seem to work fine.

Anyway I'll finish the tear down tomorrow, decide what I'm doing and order a load of new fasteners, clips, screws etc.

I'd usually not rush but I have 3 weekends until the car goes to my Indy so I need to not get too carried away.

Anyway no pics yet until I get sorted. Cheers. :thumb:

Bearings arrived the next day, thanks for the advise and help Mark. Checked both idler pulleys and both had play. The top idler was very noisy when spinning freely. When I changed my belt, they seemed okay... failed over the last few drives.

Taken the parts off, cleaned up the Pulleys, just need to pop to a garage and have the new bearings pressed in. Then no more squeaking at the traffic lights :D

Great job with the anti roll bar! Its crazy how rusty these parts can get!!

I'd rather keep the spring clips too if in good condition. They give even tension all the way round unlike jubilee clips. And they are much easier and quicker to put on and off if you have the right tool.

Powder coat your rad brackets?

Oh and check your fan ballast resisters too, they are probably dud if not changed already, replacements £12 from RS.

Goodstuff Yas, let's hope that solves it.
Don't pay too much to have the bearings pressed in. It takes literally 5 minutes.
Any bother and I'll happily do it for you but by the time you pay for postage both ways it'll be as cheap and quicker to pop to your local garage, as you intend.
I'm here if you get stuck though. :thumb:
You're right about the rust too. I've had a right battle with some of the fasteners and things on mine. :x

Hi Wasz, yep those clips are a doddle to use. Bit rusty though so I'm still deciding whether to order new ones from Porsche or go for stainless jubilees.

Great minds think alike re the powder coating. This is this weeks powdercoating pile. :grin:

Rad brackets
Coolant pipes
Inner arch pipe covers
Horn bracket

Again, I also have the RS Component resistors ready to fit. Thanks for the headsup. :thumb:

As usual, things are escalating. What started as a simple rad/condenser swap is now full inner arch strip etc.I found a couple of areas of light surface corrosion behind the arch liners and around the top mount area. Not deep or anything but an eye sore.
Spent today dressing it back with a wire wheel attachment on my drill, getting rid of any flaky underseal etc.
I'll use a rust treatment/converter this week, seal, then paint.
That's the benefit and the drawback of doing the work yourself. If you find something you aren't happy with you can sort it, whereas a garage would probably just remove the old stuff and stick the new stuff back in. The downside is you make more work for yourself. :wink:

I need to order a big pile of fasteners etc tomorrow. I seem to have removed more items than I have written down on my list to renew, but time will tell. :?:

Anyway next job is to sort through this lot and bin the rubbish.

I hope I can remember where it all goes. :grin:

Marky911 said:
Spent today dressing it back with a wire wheel attachment on my drill, getting rid of any flaky underseal etc.

I use a wire wheel with my angle grinder, it's much quicker and more powerful than the drill attachment but you need to be careful!

Hi Maldren, that's exactly what my dad said but it's only to clean up a tiny bit of browning or bubbling along the odd seam etc. That level of attack would be a bit overkill. :grin:
Plus there's some around the strut top area and access is limited there.
You can see below the small areas I'm talking about along the side of the inner arch/outside of the luggage compartment.

I'll treat it with rust converter and primer, then gloss black it all. I'll then give the areas you don't see a coat of wax oil. I'll leave the area of inner arch you do see, gloss black.

Good parcel day today.
I collected my rads - £107 per pair.
I already had condensers - £69 per pair.
My genuine Porsche waterpump arrived.
You can also spot my O rings. £20 for 4! The Porsche tax is strong on those. :wink:

I dropped my gear off at my powder coaters but may not get it back for weekend.
Tomorrow I have to order all the fasteners, nuts and bolts for reassembly. No doubt that'll be a fortune.

That's all until I can get stuck back in at the weekend.

Marky911 said:
Morning MMT,
K&N was on when car was purchased, but I was given the standard box too. I actually have another std box I was given too.

I haven't tried the standard one but I did try std vs K&N when I had my GT3 and to me the scream at the top end with the K&N on far outweighed any drawbacks.

Some people say they suck hot air but it's partitioned/sealed off and uses the original snorkel intake so it can't be too bad.

Again some say you actually lose 2 or 3 bhp but I've not noticed and the sound adds way more to the experience than a few bhp would.

I appreciate its all subjective though, just like whether you prefer red or blue. I may well have a bit of experimenting between standard when I get through everything else though, as there seems to be as many people who don't prefer aftermarket filters, as do. :thumb:

Sorry for the late reply.
I bought a second hand original air box and when it arrived it had
a K&N panel filter in it. The difference after I had fitted it was night and day in every aspect except sound. The acceleration was so much stronger the clutch started slipping almost straight away.
If you get chance fit the old box and see if you get the difference I did. If you do I think you'll struggle to go back again.

Hi MMT,
I'm sure I'll have an experiment in due course then, once the important stuff is done.
Who knows maybe I'll be bowled over by the standard airbox. It will have to be a revelation though, for me to give up on the induction howl provided by my K&N. :wink:

Nothing to report on car. Not much gets done during the week, apart from researching stuff and gathering bits.

I collected my rads - £107 per pair.
I already had condensers - £69 per pair.
My genuine Porsche waterpump arrived.

Where did you get the rads and a/c condensors for those sums, please?
Around £75/each was the best I could find a rad.
Did you get the waterpump cheap too? I'm in the market! Cheapest oem i've found is around £150... to be teamed with a low temp thermostat ofcourse.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back