Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Banger-nomics?

plynchy said:
I think you've missed the point. In spectacular fashion. :floor:

Just seen this's classic response. Plynchy that made me LOL.

Cant beat a bit of Banger-nomics.

My most recent shed. An 02 plate Saab 93 Aero HOT. Despite its many (basically a turbo charged Vectra with the roof cut off, what could possible go wrong) its not without its charms

20170501_150856_zpsbkhtymec.jpg
[/img]

arry said:
plynchy said:
I think you've missed the point. In spectacular fashion. :floor:

Yeah, that is a beauty :lol: It's what happens when you start looking for a car; scope creep of the highest order.

Yeah I need something sensible, with 4 seats and 4 doors, that I don't want to spend loads of money on.

Oh look I've bought and RX8 and modified it :lol:

I am not a sensible man when it comes to cars :lol:

Both blue both German one for fun and one for work

Attachments

• 20160219_124146_320.jpg
    20160219_124146_320.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,632
polo 130 tdi for me 6 speed box,looks like a nanners cars but goes like ***** off a shovel and 70 mpg 👍👍👍😗😉

YEP free works van with AC cruise decent stereo for the work and dull trips 911 for all the fun stuff.

we also have a y plate auto civic which will not die and is great for when the van wont fit in multi storey car parks or we need to take more than 2 people.

Slight change of direction after lusting after Volvos for the last week.

Discussed with the brains of the family and she suggested something small she can use for work when I want the bus for big stuff.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a Mini Cooper? Thousands for sale and some decent looking examples around for not very much money, similar prices to the device I'm typing this on actually :?:

plynchy said:

Discussed with the brains of the family and she suggested something small she can use for work when I want the bus for big stuff.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a Mini Cooper? Thousands for sale and some decent looking examples around for not very much money, similar prices to the device I'm typing this on actually :?:

We've had couple of R56 Minis - they are fun to drive but check things like chain tensioners and carbon build up. Otherwise I really like them and if you want a cheap to run fun car they fit the bill.

My runabout is a 51 plate MINI Cooper automatic. It had to be an auto as i'm teaching my wfe to drive in it and she didn't want to bother with gears.

It was cheap (with 120k on the clock) but does the job nicely getting me to work through the narrow lanes. I'd never owned an auto before (actually I think it's a CVT) and it's actually great around town. Missus loves driving it too. 115bhp would be sufficient if the gearbox wasn't so weird, fun though.

Mine is a 56 plate 2.0 Mk3 Mondeo Edge. It has 34k miles and 1 previous owner (my Dad). Tons of space and use it for commute to work/gym. Every drive in the 911 is extra special now. Previously I had a very low milage 1999 Audi A3 which I sold to another forum member for the same reason. Bangernomics!

plynchy said:

Do it. That would have been my choice if I'd had a slightly larger budget at the time I decided to get a runaround. Lots of mini owners on this forum.

Loved my R53... Pimped within an inch of its life with coilovers, racing cylinder head (9krpm rev limit), BBK, intercooler, injectors, cam, straight thought decat exhaust, and tiny pulley. I also fitted some OEM GP seats as a compromise for daily driving and track use.

Never outwardly showy though (I prefer my cars to be sleepers):
19810530938_e668973f72_k.jpg

But a little peak through the intercooler vent on the bonnet hints at whats going on:
19990872712_ad84f7f234_k.jpg

With some Fed 595RSR tyres on it, it was had unrivalled handling:
20003822471_8837f60b28_k.jpg

And with its other mods and light weight it was incredibly quick to 100mph. Easily as quick as a 2.7 boxster/cayman, but once the aero came into play it had no chance.

Cracking little car... Ended up selling it to a european breaker who wanted the trick bits off it. One of the few cars I've modified and made my money back on.

I use a 55 plate Octavia VRS estate as a daily whilst the missus uses the T5. 2 kids and a chocloate lab kind of dictates that we have two cars that can take all them if need be. For me as well its good to have them as a so called winter car i.e. one that can handle the snow (being in the sticks up here) and one that you don't mind getting wrecked by all the stones/grit/salt flying about.

Funny what someone said above as well about having a family so spare time at weekends is next to nothing, I find that the same so used my last 996 more going back and forward to work than at the weekends. If my Audi wasn't becoming rarer to find bits for Id be tempted to daily it and sell the Skoda.

Bagner economics makes sense to me but only if theres a real need.

I like the idea of banger-nomics and I've followed Shed of the Week on Pistonheads for years (it might be the only good bit left), but I've not got a shed. My "garage" consists of the 2010 997, the modified 2006 R53 MINI Cooper S and my wife runs the 2016 GTI. If we really need some space, I borrow an LRD3 and my 76 year old father zooms around in the MINI with a big grin on his face! :bandit:

Oddly the car I use most tends to be the most uneconomical of all and makes no sense but I use the Skyline far more regularly. I don't really care about the mileage on it given I dont really intend to ever get rid of it however on a spirited drive it does return single figure mpg.

If I ever get round to fixing the Boxster, that could become an 'every day' car as its a little scruffy but I have this annoying habit of wanting to make every care I own immaculate regardless of what it is.

I first started this when I bough an '89 plate Accord Aerodeck for £300 as a 'banger' but grew to really like the little fella and kept it in really good condition.

I get the train to work anyway so dont need an 'every day' car - I just love buying things that are a bit 'different'.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back