Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I come back to a 911......

Shandythegreat

Hi all,

New to posting in the 997 section, I used to have a 996 which sadly blew up in a complete catastrophic fashion this time last year.

It was my daily driver for 2 years, took my family to the beach, on holiday and to the Nurburgring in it - loved every minute I was behind the wheel. And you lot - the 911 family is a wonderful culture to be part of. Gone, all in a blink of an eye as I left my local OPC....... So long story short, I ended up getting a BMW 435i M Sport Plus, 2 years BMW warranty etc thinking this would tickle me. It hasn't, I miss my 911.

I digress, and seek advice. Capping myself to around £30k Ive never stopped looking at the 997.1 C2S, would this suffer engine worries? I recall the 997.2 having a completely different engine, as the .1 still used the block from the 3.4........ I maybe completely wrong. Any advice here would be excellent.

My daily commute is short (2.5 miles) - but i always go the long way in which ever car im in to drive min 10-15 mins to ensure the oils up to temp before shutting off. Or I try and walk when its dry and sunny :eek:

I was averaging 800 - 1000 miles a month in my 996, so it certainly gets used.

Thanks in advance, sorry I whaffled on a bit. Having a head over heart kinda crisis.

1000 miles a week can't be right with a 2.5 mile commute each way! - Ninja edit there :D

£30k should get you a good 997.1 C2S and there are plenty to choose from.

The 2006 models have an uprated IMS bearing, but you can check the exact serial number of any car you're buying to see if it's likely to have it or not. Also the RMS has undergone a number of revisions (but can still be problematic).

The major problem is bore scoring - get it inspected pre-purchase and avoid any with tell tale signs. The most common engine to suffer is the 3.8 and tiptronics are the worst offenders due to setting off from standing in second gear.

Your short commute will not help the engine in terms of bore scoring and I would be wary of using a 997.1 in this fashion.

Get a bicycle and save the mileage on the 911!

Long term value wise, you'll probably end up losing less on a 911 than on a 435i, but if you're using it regularly and putting miles on it I wouldn't expect depreciation free motoring at all. It's difficult to find any 911 for below £20k at the moment so losses will be limited, but it won't be long before there are a lot of >100k mile 997's around which will cause prices to bottom out a bit until the really rotten ones are scrapped.

Haha chubby fingers - yes its a month not a week! defo wouldnt use a 911 for that.

Oh yes, 2006 onwards for the IMS, RMS ill look into and bore scoring on the 3.8. Thank you

I know my commute isnt great, and it is a big concern of mine going back to a 911 for my daily. (I may just keep my wifes fiat 500! Thats a fun car to zip around in) Its always silly going a long way round to get to the office, but worth it. Perhaps it is the push I need to get on my bike. Save the car, get out of the overly sensible BMW.

:thumbs:

You should come back, I'm sure there's a 997 with your name on it somewhere.

andylang said:
Haha chubby fingers - yes its a month not a week! defo wouldnt use a 911 for that.

Oh yes, 2006 onwards for the IMS, RMS ill look into and bore scoring on the 3.8. Thank you

I know my commute isnt great, and it is a big concern of mine going back to a 911 for my daily. (I may just keep my wifes fiat 500! Thats a fun car to zip around in) Its always silly going a long way round to get to the office, but worth it. Perhaps it is the push I need to get on my bike. Save the car, get out of the overly sensible BMW.

:thumbs:

I'd spend £25k on a 2006 49000 miles 2S on autotrader at the moment private sale and then £4000 on a run around. That's what I did. I got a 2007 mini cooper D for £3k and love it lol

Can highly recommend borrowing the wife's Fiat 500 as a runaround... that's what I do :D

Short answer is, yes you should come back to a 911. Do you have a garage? A car sitting outside doing nothing isn't great either... this clearly isn't investment driven which I would completely agree with!

A 2.5 mile bike commute is only 15 minutes! Think of the benefit to your wallet (buying a Porsche aside!) and your health! Have you cycled the route before?

tom_nieto said:
Can highly recommend borrowing the wife's Fiat 500 as a runaround... that's what I do :D

Short answer is, yes you should come back to a 911. Do you have a garage? A car sitting outside doing nothing isn't great either... this clearly isn't investment driven which I would completely agree with!

A 2.5 mile bike commute is only 15 minutes! Think of the benefit to your wallet (buying a Porsche aside!) and your health! Have you cycled the route before?

Wife had (past tense) a Abarth 595C, which surprised far to many people with its 160bhp :)

Im with the spend 25k on a 997.1 and get a 4 or 5k run around. Get the cheapest Honda S2000 you can find, they are bullet proof, awesome, and won't lose money! That's what I had before my 2007 C2S Cabrio.......

Only you can answer that question, do you want another 911?

Or for the same or even less money you could walk into Audi or BMW and buy a brand new car, zero miles and spec'd how you want it.

Or you could buy an older 911 and still have to spend money on upkeep and repairs.

You do the math :thumb:

Andy, good to see you back and considering dumping the euro box for a fun big grin car. Time flies mate was it this time last year you blew up leaving the total 911 meet at Portsmouth OPC .
Mate 30k would get you a full hartech rebuilt 997.1 and given what happened to the 996 unless you did that it would always be at the back of your mind and stop you fully enjoying the car. by the way there's a curry night coming up soon.
That's my thoughts I know you like the 997 as you always wanted my old one lol.

The other option is have a look at the 996 4S with Aerokit at brookspeed £20k and that leaves you a pot to bullet proof if and still stay under 30k worth a thought mate :thumb:

MNC911 said:
Only you can answer that question, do you want another 911?

Or for the same or even less money you could walk into Audi or BMW and buy a brand new car, zero miles and spec'd how you want it.

Or you could buy an older 911 and still have to spend money on upkeep and repairs.

You do the math :thumb:

Sensible advice. If you want to come back then I' recommend the gen 2 997 from 2009 as it has the DFI engine. But no idea of prices v your budget.

996 C4S is on the money now and seems to be doing really well - could be all the car you need and an investment :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back