Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche unveils 991.2 GT3 Touring Package as 'purist's' 911

Porsche News

A sense of irony when the maker of the world's purist sports car has to make a purist sports car for the purist sports car market...

Story Updated post 8pm news Embargo.

When Porsche releases a new GT3 model there's an expectation that it will be more hardcore, more focused and faster; the regular GT3 is followed by the GT3 RS, and so on. But Porsche has bucked the trend at this year's Frankfurt motor show and unveiled the 911 GT3 Touring; a sleek and more elegant version of the 991.2 GT3 that first made its appearance earlier this year in Geneva. The new car will cost £111,802, the same as a GT3.

image-uploaded-from-ios-2_0.jpg

The most significant distinction between the GT3 Touring and the regular car is its lack of fixed rear wing. Instead, like the 911R from last year and conventional Carrera models, the Touring has a hidden spoiler that can rise and lower automatically. It's not the exact same item found on lesser 911s, the new version has a gurney flap on its trailing edge to increase its aerodynamic efficiency. Atop the decklid is a plaque that reads GT3 Touring along with a new mesh grille, too.

image-uploaded-from-ios-3.jpg

Like the 911R, the Touring borrows the wider bodywork, rear bumper and 20-inch forged wheels from its contemporary GT3. Mechanically, the Touring is identical to the GT3 and is powered by the same naturally aspirated 4-litre flat-six that puts out 493bhp and 347lb ft of torque. Importantly, it still revs to 9000rpm. However, the Touring is only available with a six-speed manual gearbox – the seven-speed dual-clutch PDK transmission is left for the track-ready GT3.

image-uploaded-from-ios-1_0.jpg

Without the aid of super-fast automatic gear changes, the Touring accelerates from 0 to 62mph in 3.9sec; the exact same time as the manual GT3. But, despite not having a big rear wing to create drag, the Touring can't match the standard manual GT3's top speed of 198mph. Instead it tops out at 196mph.

image-uploaded-from-ios-5_0.jpg

image-uploaded-from-ios-4_0.jpg

Source, Evo Magazine www.evo.co.uk

Attachments

• gt3touring_06_156.jpg
    gt3touring_06_156.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 8,582
  • gt3touring_05_773.jpg
    gt3touring_05_773.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 8,582
  • gt3touring_04_348.jpg
    gt3touring_04_348.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 8,582
  • gt3touring_03_640.jpg
    gt3touring_03_640.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8,582
  • gt3touring_02_105.jpg
    gt3touring_02_105.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 8,582
  • gt3touring_01_184.jpg
    gt3touring_01_184.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8,582
A GT3 with added rear seats and no massive spoiler? Love it. It's the only car I'd swap my car for. If i could get an allocation...
and scrape the money together :grin:

Apparently it's not a limited edition one, so presumably any old Tom Dick or Harry could get on the waiting list.

Awesome car, no doubt. It just seems odd though, a GT3 without an aerokit.

Apparently it's still only a two seater. Arse.

Interesting cross-over in many respects - somewhere between a 911R and a GT3. But not sure what gap in the market that this car actually satisfies.

Personally, for the same money (if my dealer would sell me one!!!!) I would have the standard GT3 because it is so iconic. So it will be interesting to see who buys a GT3 TP. :?:

Surely 911R residuals will fall!

If it's not limited then I'm sure it will be popular. Can't imagine it will be unlimited in numbers though.

I'm a fan.

FZP said:
I'm a fan.

not until you see the 'touring luggage' range

now I do like that a lot and that colour is sublime.

nice touch with more subtle lines and the manual box. sweet

raid the parts bin and makes even more money!

if only this had 4 seats!!! then would consider selling the house & the mrs to be able to afford one :?

as it stands...what's the point? although it is confirmed on 'the other forum' as just an option so suppose it's more stealth than the standard brash GT3, if that's your thing and you want THAT engine

sleeping.gif

Looks like a 911 crossed with a Lambo front and Sally Carrera:

253532d1202597918-custom-996-from-movie-cars-img_2034-medium-.jpg

:nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back