Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WANTED 997 Turbo Engine

MisterCorn said:
It sounds like an ideal time for an upgrade to me, new rods / pistons / liners....

MC

As I said the 'plus parts' :floor:

MisterCorn said:
It sounds like an ideal time for an upgrade to me, new rods / pistons / liners....

MC

That's how I'd view it :wink:

'Nice kidney for sale!' :lol:

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I think he's going on the advice of his indi garage.
I'm not sure of his exact intentions, I think the indi told him to find a new block/engine the reason being that he would use all of his own "plus parts" and then rebuild the used block that he will buy.
Like I said I'm sure of what has exactly happened but he sent me some pics:
I'm going with him next week to see his indi to see what his plans are.

Attachments

• img_2618_902.jpg
    img_2618_902.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 5,094
  • img_2615_187.jpg
    img_2615_187.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 5,094
  • img_2614_619.jpg
    img_2614_619.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 5,094
  • img_2613_198.jpg
    img_2613_198.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 5,094
Ah, bust casings. That's double fooked. Doubt there'll be much salvaged from that. Looks like a build from the crankshaft up. And that's if the crankshaft hasn't been scored to death.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Ah, bust casings. That's double fooked. Doubt there'll be much salvaged from that. Looks like a build from the crankshaft up. And that's if the crankshaft hasn't been scored to death.
Norfolk so do you reckon his indi was right in telling him to get a new engine without pulling anything part?

nikos525 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
Norfolk so do you reckon his indi was right in telling him to get a new engine without pulling anything part?

I'm no guru on car engines but generally speaking when an engine lets go like that the oil washes all the metal particulates around everything in seconds scoring the shoite out of everything in its path.
It's a bit like poking a sawn off into a room full of people and giving it both barrels. Everyone's going to get a bit.
If the casings have gone it's a new engine job for sure. They are sand cast and not repairable. Chances are the internals are goosed. He could perhaps ask the indy to tear down the engine and see what's salvageable but he may be throwing good money after bad in labour costs.
Me? I'd be heeding the indys advice and sourcing a new mill (block, liners, pistons and crankshaft) Tell him to ask about the heads and turbos, they may have survived.
There's an excellent, helpful Porsche tech on here called Demort. PM him, he'll give a good steer.

Over boost is pretty bad for a standard engine .

You have there what looks like a con rod thats let go , the nut you are holding is the con rod bolt .

Rod flapping around has punched the hole , it will have a smashed piston , smashed liner or probably liners , if the crank is intact then theres a big saveing there but with a rod failure then that also tends to get damaged .

Ok a major failure but unless you can source an engine it may well need rebuilding .. it may even be cheaper than a second hand engine as well .

Its all about what can be salvaged and you wont find that out unless its stripped .

Try and find a replacement but if not its a strip and rebuild or a scrap vehicle .

I will say though that its coming into winter when garages are looking for projects to keep them ticking over till january so its a good time to get a better deal in a month or 2 .

Porsche owners tend to go on holiday or sorn there cars this time of year so less work about .. its the same for OPC,s .

Demort said:
Over boost is pretty bad for a standard engine .

You have there what looks like a con rod thats let go , the nut you are holding is the con rod bolt .

Rod flapping around has punched the hole , it will have a smashed piston , smashed liner or probably liners , if the crank is intact then theres a big saveing there but with a rod failure then that also tends to get damaged .

Ok a major failure but unless you can source an engine it may well need rebuilding .. it may even be cheaper than a second hand engine as well .

Its all about what can be salvaged and you wont find that out unless its stripped .

Try and find a replacement but if not its a strip and rebuild or a scrap vehicle .

I will say though that its coming into winter when garages are looking for projects to keep them ticking over till january so its a good time to get a better deal in a month or 2 .

Porsche owners tend to go on holiday or sorn there cars this time of year so less work about .. its the same for OPC,s .

Thanks for the reply Demort, he's been without it for the last month while looking for an engine and is already having withdrawl symptoms :lol:
Good to know that a rebuild may be feasible if he can't source an engine.
I'll update once his indi pulls the engine and see what the full extent of the damage is.

What about the bust casing? Replacement? Sure wont be fixed.

That's only the second Mezger I know of that's let go. :x

I know of a 996GT2 with Gemballa map and it's been 100% reliable, and it gets a hard time. Maybe it was one of Nicholas Lawrence's maps?! :D

Norfolk & Idea said:

Yup it will need the caseings and thats something like £10 k there .. my point is if you cant find a second hand engine then its either a rebuild if possible or a new engine / scrapping the car .

engine R&R is a labour charge either way so only paying extra for the strip .

Something like £18k for an engine ? depending on what year .. early ones then 30 k ? .. probably a lot more than that that with out an exchange .. and thats not going to be an exchange unit !

Martian said:
That's only the second Mezger I know of that's let go. :x

I know of a 996GT2 with Gemballa map and it's been 100% reliable, and it gets a hard time. Maybe it was one of Nicholas Lawrence's maps?! :D

To be fair if it was boosted to the moon it's going to let go. It's detonation that kills engines.

Demort said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Yup it will need the caseings and thats something like £10 k there .. my point is if you cant find a second hand engine then its either a rebuild if possible or a new engine / scrapping the car .

engine R&R is a labour charge either way so only paying extra for the strip .

Something like £18k for an engine ? depending on what year .. early ones then 30 k ? .. probably a lot more than that that with out an exchange .. and thats not going to be an exchange unit !

Oof. A lot of dough right there...

Guys, it was the boost that killed this engine for sure, I'm surprised it held on for that long tbh.
Bells should have been ringing when he burnt out his gearbox twice.
IIRC it was running some absurd boost like 1.9 or 2.0 bar :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back