Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 10
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

AndyS
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the MXS5.0 delivered at the weekend, and got one of these too, which has the correct size eyelet - and a condition indicator. Bargain at a fiver Thumb

911TEL
Österreich

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhrfc wrote:
Andyc11 wrote:
I've just got my OPC to put the connectors directly onto the new battery they've recently fitted to my GTS - I don't have the cigarette adapter though. Plan was to use the mains whilst parked up in the garage, would I be better buying the cigarette adapter and using that?

IMO use the direct battery connection.
easier to keep the frunk shut, rather then trial through the window

The cable can go via the door , close the door , the seal doesn't nip it tight.. give it a pull to check ....
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

911TEL
Österreich

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:
So just so I am clear - I connect one of these to the battery (with the in-line fuse):

.....and just leave it 'till I need it.

Then when I go away, connect the C-Tec to the adapter and plug it in to the mains?

Sorry to sound dumb, but I've always thought that you needed to disconnect a battery before using a charger or it can play merry hell with the alternator?

C-Tek functions as a conditioner ( in addition to a charger) You will initially see the green Led on constantly ( after it's initial detection mode) then one the charge is complete it then 'conditions' the battery in a cycle mode ...
IMHO I think it's the best bit of kit I have seen out there to date .... anyone knows of a better one , shout up .... I swear by mine .... I use nothing else ....
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

Les Richards
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Charger Reply with quote

I've used an Optimate - same sort of thing - hard wired to the battery on three Porsches over 17-years and had no problems at all. I leave the hood slightly open and bring the supply lead through the gap at the front. Previous owner used to close the hood completely with no ill effect on the wires being compressed by the seals.

Also got the Lidl version as back-up and made some leads so that I can plug that to the 'battery leads' in case the Optimate fails.

Not sure about the cigar lighter wiring on mine but did read somewhere of an owner using the lighter which was not suitable causing the dash wiring to fry. May have been an IB on Impact Bumpers but best make sure of your car's wiring first.

Polar Silver
5152 MU

Tobesetc
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterCorn wrote:
I would put an inline fuse on the + lead close to the battery myself.

MC

Last weekend I noticed that LondonRob's connector not only has the inline fuse but also flashing lights... So obviously I bought one!

When it arrived the connectors were clearly 2mm larger than the un-fused one. So they fit perfectly with no cut required.

This makes me think that the one without the fuse that didn't fit a car battery isn't actually meant to be used with a car battery like it describes you can! Very odd.

AndyS
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobesetc wrote:

Last weekend I noticed that LondonRob's connector not only has the inline fuse but also flashing lights... So obviously I bought one!

When it arrived the connectors were clearly 2mm larger than the un-fused one. So they fit perfectly with no cut required.

.....and for just a fiver I think it's a must-have.
I particularly like the traffic light system to give a quick visual guide of the battery condition Thumb

Pretzel
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:

I particularly like the traffic light system to give a quick visual guide of the battery condition Thumb

I'm not convinced the in line 'traffic light' system is that reliable. once disconnected it seems to go to Orange and Red quite quickly then reconnected it will go straight back to Green and thats on a fairly new Bosch battery.

madge
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretzel wrote:
AndyS wrote:

I'm not convinced the in line 'traffic light' system is that reliable. once disconnected it seems to go to Orange and Red quite quickly then reconnected it will go straight back to Green and thats on a fairly new Bosch battery.

It's a bit vague isn't it but better than nothing I reckon.

According to the packaging a red light indicates anything below 60% charged so that's potentially still a long way from being a flat battery. It's quite a wide margin though and therefore not especially helpful for knowing if you have 1% or 59%. Hopefully a future iteration will have an actual digital % read-out.

Green indicates power above 80% so it's a fairly slim margin between green and red. I can believe that it wouldn't take too long to go between those two markers. I've just checked mine and it went from green to orange in 8 days without being connected. Does a battery ever hold 100% once it's been used? Dont know

The connector makes it so easy that I guess the answer to keeping the indicator green is just to have it connected whenever the car's in the garage (which, being a 993, is most of the time obviously. Grin)

MilSub
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm .. very interesting - I've been using a few Ctek chargers for years on a variety of vehicles - bought the latest MSX5.0 a couple of years ago just for use on the 993.

I too obtained the traffic light connector to permanently fit to the 993's battery as the eyelets on the supplied cable were too small - very convenient.

I wonder how much juice the connector draws from the battery for the display? - I'm sure it can't be much, I've noticed that the indicator shows amber a couple of days after a really good run - I always plug the Ctek life support in when the 993 is in the garage, so it's not like the battery is left unloved for any period of time .. and being a pampered, less than a year old Bosch Silver S4 it should be in pretty good shape.

I use an old Ctek Zafir90 to keep my truck battery going - using the supplied connector cable (no indicator) now I'm tempted to buy an indicator connector for the truck and see if that battery loses charge according to the indicator like the 993 battery seems to.

NB: The truck is an old USAF GMC full size pickup, still on it's original battery from 1994 .. so it's definitely living on borrowed time, but with the Ctek keeping it conditioned - up to now it's been as good as gold! Laughing

madge
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilSub wrote:
I wonder how much juice the connector draws from the battery for the display? - I'm sure it can't be much

~ 1Ah / month apparently.

Hopefully that's a small amount (it would be a self defeating product otherwise) but I really don't know enough about these things to know.

taffybloke
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use on C-Tec on my cars and two of them have a traffic light connector. You can buy them with a 6mm or 8mm size of eyelet so suit your battery.

From what I understand is that the red indicator is telling you the battery needs to be charged not that it is flat, also the battery indicator will go to amber usually is a day or so as their is a constant drain on the battery to maintain the alarm and the various management units, it would lose charge even if it was disconnected.

It is only an indicator, if you want to know the exact state of a battery a volt meter is more accurate.

Mike

MilSub
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taffybloke wrote:

From what I understand is that the red indicator is telling you the battery needs to be charged not that it is flat ..

Ahhh ... that's the bit I wasn't getting .. thanks Mike Thumb

Allan E
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Charger Reply with quote

Les Richards wrote:
Also got the Lidl version as back-up and made some leads so that I can plug that to the 'battery leads' in case the Optimate fails.

I can vouch for the Lidl product, had a one connected to one of my classics for years now. You can select the type of charge necessary, 6v or 12v, top-up charge or conditioner charge. The read out shows the exact voltage in the battery at the time and stage of charge, so no need for a voltmeter.
I also have had a C-tek for nearly 11 years, then it came with the hard wiring connections, still works but the warning lights are now so dim they can hardly be seen.

MilSub
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Charger Reply with quote

Allan E wrote:
Les Richards wrote:

I can vouch for the Lidl product, had a one connected to one of my classics for years now. You can select the type of charge necessary, 6v or 12v, top-up charge or conditioner charge. The read out shows the exact voltage in the battery at the time and stage of charge, so no need for a voltmeter.
I also have had a C-tek for nearly 11 years, then it came with the hard wiring connections, still works but the warning lights are now so dim they can hardly be seen.

Now you have got me thinking .. not Lidl - but the Aldi version, digital voltage read-out with three year warranty and at around a third of the price of an equivalent Ctek. Considering getting one of these as an emergency spare ready for the winter Question

https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-battery-charger/p/095402169939100

Allan E
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Charger Reply with quote

[/quote]Now you have got me thinking .. not Lidl - but the Aldi version, digital voltage read-out with three year warranty and at around a third of the price of an equivalent Ctek. Considering getting one of these as an emergency spare ready for the winter Question

https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-battery-charger/p/095402169939100[/quote]

I have one of those also, probably updated since I bought mine, I hard wired the connections to the battery and obtained a push-in connector from Maplins £3 or so and connected that to the conditioner. Never quite trust the crocodile clips. (I have a tragic story about such) Easily disconnected whenever, worked perfectly for more than 5 years. it was fitted to my 1966 Mercedes saloon which I sold earlier this year.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: