Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

a year of owning a c2 cab and I fancy a 997 turbo

robbiej

So after getting it I replacing the top mounts, front uprights and load of little bits

fitted the Aero kit after the neighbour reversed into the front bumper

put a new 2016 wheel with paddles (I can take to the new car)

on trade in they are offering book but I should sell privately but its a pain

I need a auto as its the wife that drives it likewise a cab...

997.1 or 997.2?

robbiej said:
So after getting it I replacing the top mounts, front uprights and load of little bits

fitted the Aero kit after the neighbour reversed into the front bumper

put a new 2016 wheel with paddles (I can take to the new car)

on trade in they are offering book but I should sell privately but its a pain

I need a auto as its the wife that drives it likewise a cab...

997.1 or 997.2?

If you want an auto 997.2 PDK all day long.
If you want a manual 997.1 Mezger all day long.

That's the same route I took. I had a C2S and moved to a Gen.1 Turbo manual. But that was 2012 so gen.2 were out of my budget.

I'd get the best one you can afford. The Gen.2 is improved in all aspects to the Gen.1 so that should be your aim.

isysman said:
That's the same route I took. I had a C2S and moved to a Gen.1 Turbo manual. But that was 2012 so gen.2 were out of my budget.

I'd get the best one you can afford. The Gen.2 is improved in all aspects to the Gen.1 so that should be your aim.

Are you really saying the DFI is better than the Mezger :?:

Boba fett said:
isysman said:

Yes, given the choice of a PDK 997.2 Turbo or a 997.1 Turbo with any transmission, the Mezger wouldn't get a look in.

Let's not get into the engine argument 'again'!

The DFi is an entirely different engine in lots of ways but from a power point of view there's not much between them, in a power delivery way they are very different.
The Metzger is more wham bang thank you maam, whereas the DFi is a lot smoother.
The biggest difference though is the fuel economy, on a long run the Gen 1 seems to be a lot more economical than the new Gen 2, don't know if mines needs looking at but it uses considerably more fuel than the Gen 1 which is a surprise for a new super duper engine that's supposed to meet tougher emissions reg's.

toffeeman said:
Boba fett said:
isysman said:

Yes, given the choice of a PDK 997.2 Turbo or a 997.1 Turbo with any transmission, the Mezger wouldn't get a look in.

Oh nice shot toffeeman, get in there! So what have you got to say to that then boba?? Eh, eh??

Seriously though, the DFI seems to be holding up ok. Am I right in thinking that the 9A1 3.8 derivative is going in the 991 GT2RS?? I know the heads were modified for the 991 from the 997.2 and the 991 GT2RS will have gargantuan turbo's bolted on with water injection to keep IAT's lower. But essentially the same 9A1 mill??
If this is the case then Porsche engineering are pretty relaxed and confident with the 3.8 DFI. Feel free to correct me if talking utter bowlocks... :lol:

easternjets said:
Let's not get into the engine argument 'again'!

The DFi is an entirely different engine in lots of ways but from a power point of view there's not much between them, in a power delivery way they are very different.
The Metzger is more wham bang thank you maam, whereas the DFi is a lot smoother.
The biggest difference though is the fuel economy, on a long run the Gen 1 seems to be a lot more economical than the new Gen 2, don't know if mines needs looking at but it uses considerably more fuel than the Gen 1 which is a surprise for a new super duper engine that's supposed to meet tougher emissions reg's.

Has your 997.2 had a remap?? Mwu ha ha ha......

I'm sure Porsche boasted a circa 16% fuel economy improvement over the Gen1?? I'd definitely be checking it out. Is there a strong smell of petrol near your car? Perhaps you live near gypsies?

Perhaps you live near gypsies?

No mate I live no where near your family! :floor:

Norfolk & Idea said:
toffeeman said:
Boba fett said:
isysman said:

Oh nice shot toffeeman, get in there! So what have you got to say to that then boba?? Eh, eh??

Seriously though, the DFI seems to be holding up ok. Am I right in thinking that the 9A1 3.8 derivative is going in the 991 GT2RS?? I know the heads were modified for the 991 from the 997.2 and the 991 GT2RS will have gargantuan turbo's bolted on with water injection to keep IAT's lower. But essentially the same 9A1 mill??
If this is the case then Porsche engineering are pretty relaxed and confident with the 3.8 DFI. Feel free to correct me if talking utter bowlocks... :lol:

:D ha ha.

I'm looking at the two cars as a complete package. Given the choice, would I want to own a Mezger engine at the expense of the PDK box, more power and a much more updated interior, absolutely not.

Boba fett said:
isysman said:

No I'm not saying that. But every review I've read of the Gen1 Vs Gen.2 says get Gen.2. My opinion is not so relevant as I've never driven a DFI but it produces more power is more economical, and the chassis improvements of the later car also makes the drive better (so reviewers said).

easternjets said:
Perhaps you live near gypsies?

No mate I live no where near your family! :floor:

Darlington?? Oh yes you do (live near my family.... and gypsies) :lol:

Norfolk & Idea said:
toffeeman said:
Boba fett said:
isysman said:

I'm speechless :thumb:

Its pretty obvious that who owns whatever car will prefer it. Its just human nature I guess. I did not buy a 911 for refinement or for it to have an Auto box, so mines a keeper for now I guess.

Time will tell about the engines :)

so to get a 997.2 I really have to sell the GTR (no anti nissan comments please)

there is a chance if I spend less the 60K I could keep the GTR as well but that really puts me in the 997.1 area

I know you will all say manual in the .1 but not really a wife option she needs a auto

so I'm stuck

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back