Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WANTED 997 Turbo Engine

nikos525

Looking for a 997 Turbo engine for a buddy of mine. He just suffered catastrophic engine failure.
Thanks
Nik

nikos525 said:
Looking for a 997 Turbo engine for a buddy of mine. He just suffered catastrophic engine failure.
Thanks
Nik

What was the catastrophic engine failure?

Obviously I do not know the extent of the failure but would it not be better to rebuild the engine to keep the original engine numbers?

I didn't think that engine and chassis numbers were related on the more modern Porsches, so how would anybody know if it had been changed?

MC

I thought there was a record of which engine and engine number was part of each car's build.

There were discussions on here on whether it was better to replace or rebuild a M96/M97 engine for resale purposes to the uninitiated which led me to believe there was a relation but maybe they isn't.

DaveH911 said:
nikos525 said:
Thanks
Nik

What was the catastrophic engine failure?
When he bought it - used with a Gembella body kit- it was running way to much boost, I can't remember how much but when I drove it I was like woa, too much, he rebuilt his gearbox twice in the space of 3 months!
I don't know exactly what happened to it, but he showed me pictures of a cracked head and a nice hole.
I'll ask him to send me some pics.

ragpicker said:
ES motors are selling a built one at the moment including turbos and exhaust.

Looks a bit special...

:thumb:
Thanks I think he's seen that one, IIRC they quoted him 30K - he doesn't want to spend that much

nikos525 said:
ragpicker said:
ES motors are selling a built one at the moment including turbos and exhaust.

Looks a bit special...

:thumb:
Thanks I think he's seen that one, IIRC they quoted him 30K - he doesn't want to spend that much

If its the one I'm thinking of, they want over double that...

His most cost-effective remedy is to rebuild his own engine isn't it? And take out the remap causing causing so much boost.

Buying a scrap engine means replacing bits that might have been fine in his own failed engine.

Definitely just rebuild it, buying another engine will probably be at least 15k.

There are always heads and engine parts on eBay etc.

Rebuild should be about 3-4k plus parts...

Get in touch with ESMotors, they may have other engines lying around they'd be prepared to sell... would love to know who's map was on it?

116618LN said:
Definitely just rebuild it, buying another engine will probably be at least 15k.

There are always heads and engine parts on eBay etc.

Rebuild should be about 3-4k plus parts...

It's the 'plus parts' that will bite you!!!

It sounds like an ideal time for an upgrade to me, new rods / pistons / liners....

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back